REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Oct 2, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #421 of 1,326
Compared to realtek onboard sound will this be warmer, a bit less fatiguing/harsh and less bright? Wanting to pair this up with HD650s and AH-D1001s. I suppose at least 150 hours of burn-in would be possible within the 14 day return time giving me no excuse to try this out for myself (as soon as I get the money)
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #422 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by eam88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got the Hifiman EF2 in the mail

Now I am looking for tubes, but I will probably give these a chance for a few weeks. This thing looks so amazing and out of the box sounds pretty good. It will probably improve over time. Definitely better than the Nuforce Icon Mobile. Also got a LOD to RCA from RAM to use with my ipod touch.
smily_headphones1.gif

6AK5 EF95 5654 CV4010 Mullard Tube Lots 10 Pcs 1000 avl - eBay (item 380066336046 end time Oct-16-09 13:09:02 PDT)

Apparently, This Tube guy on ebay has a crap load (1000's)of 70's NOS Mullards for as little as 4.99 each( in Bulk). I just ordered 20 for 90.00 + shipping. (Best Offer)

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #423 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromantic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compared to realtek onboard sound will this be warmer, a bit less fatiguing/harsh and less bright? Wanting to pair this up with HD650s and AH-D1001s. I suppose at least 150 hours of burn-in would be possible within the 14 day return time giving me no excuse to try this out for myself (as soon as I get the money)
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a Realtek card and it is much warmer that the onboard DAC of the EF2 and quite frankly I can't imagine driving a set of HD650's with this little guy. You could use it as a pre-amp and gear it up with a nice powerful Solid State amp for the Senns but otherwise there is just not enough volume. I felt that even the little brother EF1 was not powerful enough for my HD650's and it was stronger than the new EF2.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #424 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Realtek card and it is much warmer that the onboard DAC of the EF2 and quite frankly I can't imagine driving a set of HD650's with this little guy. You could use it as a pre-amp and gear it up with a nice powerful Solid State amp for the Senns but otherwise there is just not enough volume. I felt that even the little brother EF1 was not powerful enough for my HD650's and it was stronger than the new EF2.

Not enough volume?? My ipod shuffle can get my HD580s to blaring volumes on its own....

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #426 of 1,326
Oct 2, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #428 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6AK5 EF95 5654 CV4010 Mullard Tube Lots 10 Pcs 1000 avl - eBay (item 380066336046 end time Oct-16-09 13:09:02 PDT)

Apparently, This Tube guy on ebay has a crap load (1000's)of 70's NOS Mullards for as little as 4.99 each( in Bulk). I just ordered 20 for 90.00 + shipping. (Best Offer)

I have got some 405A NOS tubes from this seller some time ago. Seems to be fine. From 20 tubes, one was bad. (Unfortunately shipping back would have been more expensive then a tube.) [A little trick. Look at the feedback for the lowest accepted price.]

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #429 of 1,326
The buy it now for a pack of ten was 59.99 or best offer. I offered 45.00 each for two sets of ten and he went for it. I already have a single pair from the same seller and they took around 50 hrs to burn in but that is expected with NOS Mullards. I won't be selling the ones I got. I may lend out a few at meets to EF-2 and Little Dot owners but he has so many, if you want some bid! Message him if you want to buy less than ten. I'm sure he'll go for it.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #430 of 1,326
Dear friends,

first if you use your notebook or pc please check on the usb port as the power distributed to each could be different, what i notice today since i am using my fujitsu u820 as source with foobar+wasapi, having only 1 usb port i always have to constantly plug/unplug to copy files from my main gear either by thumbdrive or external hdd. went out and finally bought a 7 port powered belkin usb hub.

tried with the external hdd 500gb + 8gb flash drive while foobar is running, no problem shows that the bandwidth required for 16bit music is not 480mbps as per many suggested, am using high bit rate flac while copying files between the two storage.

the most important improvement is that the clarity and soundstage improved quite tremendously including almost missing crackles and pops. usually 6-10 pops per song, but now maybe 3-4 pops very soft inaudible.actually am ok as it seems like i am listening to a vinyl hehe. I put this to the fujitsu unable to supply enough power to the usb port and being noisy as well. I realize that the Hifiman EF2 played through the Dac slightly louder now maybe due to the external supply from the belkin hub.

another observation i found is that the usb cable do make difference, try to listen even to a 192kbps mp3 and you will notice more air and body in the singer's voice.

am running all my gear through a Grado RS1i headphone.

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #433 of 1,326
I have decided to place an order for this amp to pair with my hd600. I also want to order some additional tubes to try out. I typed in 6AK5 in ebay and a whole bunch came up. Could someone please post what tubes are recommend, and some cheaper ones that I should be looking for.
Thanks for any help.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #434 of 1,326
Well, I have been using my new EF2/HD580 combo for a few weeks now and I will give an update. Overall I an very pleased with the increase in sound quality over my old unamped HD485. I go back and forth between the two and the 485 seems like there is a blanket between my ear and the driver; it sound muffled and unexciting. When I switch back to the HD580 the clarity they give is outstanding. The 485 is still a decent can, but the difference I hear makes me very confident about this purchase.

The HD580 works pretty well over many types of music. I think its kind of silly to single out a particular genre to a certain headphones (unless you can afford to have a different headphone for every type of music) This EF2 combo works great for anything from orchestral and classic to Trance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back