REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Sep 29, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #406 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by migs008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how is the DOA ratio for this then? It is from china.

I think the cheapest place I found for them new is to get it from amazon.

Nuforce Icon is actually cheaper in ebay though if you use bings cashback.

wow

I didn't know it was on Amazon

It would've saved me some money for shipping and I could've used my gift card

oh well

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #407 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by migs008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how is the DOA ratio for this then? It is from china.

Eh, I seem to be the only one that had a unit come DOA. I returned it to their New York station, and they refunded me in full (minus the shipping I used to ship it back) without any problems.

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #408 of 1,326
How does the dac on the ef2 compare to an emu 0404? I used to own the emu and thought it sounded great but sold it because it would occasionally freeze up over usb. Would they sound similar?

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #409 of 1,326
Mine just came in today, less than 6 days after ordering. Very impressed with the build quality, very solid unit. Just plug it in and it works. This is my entry into the hifi world and they are paired with modded HD580. Initial listening sounds very good.. extremely clear, much better bass than out of computer. I really think I am going to love this unit.

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #411 of 1,326
I'm looking for an amp for my sr225 I'm mainly playing music from my computer.

Right now I have a emu 0202, is the dac from the emu better than the dac from the ef2?

I'm wondering if I should go with a amp only unit instead of going with a dac/amp such as the ef2

In the case that I would not be going with the ef2, I'd probably buy something like the LD mk III

Any tought on what I should do?

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #413 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by NormaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for an amp for my sr225 I'm mainly playing music from my computer.

Right now I have a emu 0202, is the dac from the emu better than the dac from the ef2?

I'm wondering if I should go with a amp only unit instead of going with a dac/amp such as the ef2

In the case that I would not be going with the ef2, I'd probably buy something like the LD mk III

Any tought on what I should do?

I'd keep the emu and get a LD MK III. from what i recall, my ld mkiii sounded better than the ef2

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #414 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine just came in today, less than 6 days after ordering. Very impressed with the build quality, very solid unit. Just plug it in and it works. This is my entry into the hifi world and they are paired with modded HD580. Initial listening sounds very good.. extremely clear, much better bass than out of computer. I really think I am going to love this unit.

Hi
Do you hear a big difference in sound quality when ef2 is connected to computer and listening with 580's compared to using ur ipod as source and ef2 just as an amp with the 580's.
Thanks

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #415 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by aryastark90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
Do you hear a big difference in sound quality when ef2 is connected to computer and listening with 580's compared to using ur ipod as source and ef2 just as an amp with the 580's.
Thanks

I do not have any rca to ipod or 3.5mm cables so I dont know how it sounds when just using it as an amp, sorry. However it sounds very clear when using the DAC/AMP combo with the 580s.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #416 of 1,326
When using RCA from any source it will be influenced by that source's DAC and AM, Whether it be a CD player, PC, or DAP. I find the EF2 DAC too quiet so I either use 3.5-RCA from headphone out ( I'm very happy with the headphone out), or add a my little Travagan's Red Micro Amp between the EF2 and my cans.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #417 of 1,326
I just got a Little Dot I+

I'm not going to do a comparison review because I got rid of my EF2, but I will say based off memory, the EF2 stock had a punchier sound to it, but the Little Dot I+ has better volume control. I'm going to do some opamp and tube rolling and see if I can get the best of both worlds (volume and punch).

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #418 of 1,326
Would you guys recommend this over D2+? I'm going to be using it mainly for my computer as I am currently listening through the on-board sound card. Although I do like the fact that D2 is portable, I still doubt I would bring it around with me often. I also have a mostly bass light headphones (SR80 and RE2) so would this pair well with them? Many thanks.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #419 of 1,326
Just got the Hifiman EF2 in the mail

P1380004.JPG

P1380002.JPG

Now I am looking for tubes, but I will probably give these a chance for a few weeks. This thing looks so amazing and out of the box sounds pretty good. It will probably improve over time. Definitely better than the Nuforce Icon Mobile. Also got a LOD to RCA from RAM to use with my ipod touch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #420 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by eam88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got the Hifiman EF2 in the mail

P1380004.JPG

P1380002.JPG

Now I am looking for tubes, but I will probably give these a chance for a few weeks. This thing looks so amazing and out of the box sounds pretty good. It will probably improve over time. Definitely better than the Nuforce Icon Mobile. Also got a LOD to RCA from RAM to use with my ipod touch.
smily_headphones1.gif

I love the compact nature of it! It looks so sleek next to your laptop and monitor a real plus for a tight desktop area. I am still torn between this and a Little dot MKIII for my HD600's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back