REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Sep 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #391 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by espandon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Larry, I got it. I have an another question though. I found here in a local store, quite a variety of tubes. But guy was storing them in poor conditions. I mean all the tubes were stocked in a half gallon jar, touching each other very intimately.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I could buy them like 1$/ a pair. And I saw a few sylvania tubes, so I'd really would like to give it a try.
But there is a pretty good chance that they are unmatched or too different in balance, so I'd have to buy approximately 10 pairs or something...

My question is, Are they worth trying? Or are they certainly spoiled or broken down due to the poor storage conditions? And is it dangerous to try them in the EF2 anyway?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Grab up all you want. The is no right or wrong way to store except to keep the contacts clean or prevent breakage. You may find some pretty unique old tubes in there. pop over to the tube rolling threads and jot down some names and numbers to look for. TungSol, Sylvania, Mullard, Telefunken, and my favorite,, Kenrad, etc.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #393 of 1,326
Could someone tell me if there is a huge difference between using a Hifiman EF2 from the Nuforce icon when using them for headphones?

I mean comparatively for something from low-grade cans to high-end ones?

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #395 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by espandon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Larry, I got it. I have an another question though. I found here in a local store, quite a variety of tubes. But guy was storing them in poor conditions. I mean all the tubes were stocked in a half gallon jar, touching each other very intimately.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I could buy them like 1$/ a pair. And I saw a few sylvania tubes, so I'd really would like to give it a try.
But there is a pretty good chance that they are unmatched or too different in balance, so I'd have to buy approximately 10 pairs or something...

My question is, Are they worth trying? Or are they certainly spoiled or broken down due to the poor storage conditions? And is it dangerous to try them in the EF2 anyway?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably worth trying, although it would be nice to get them tested. I don't think a tube dying will damage the amp. If they sound matched they are likely matched well enough, but testing them is nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilSoundGuy 7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a pair of Senn HD650's and I was wondering what people thought about pairing them with this amp? Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _jon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 has a nice, warm signature through the EF2. Soundstage is somewhat limited but the tone is very relaxing for extended listening. I'd highly recommend the EF2 as an entry to the tube world. Myself, I'm already eyeing a Woo Audio 6 as an upgrade to really open up my HD650's and GMP 8.35.

I think the stock tubes are slightly bright with HD800 and just right for HD600, so they might be fine for the HD650. I don't like the HD650 as much as the HD600 on my WA6, except when I heard the 650 off a Zana Deux they sounded very good. YMMV.

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #396 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the stock tubes are slightly bright with HD800 and just right for HD600, so they might be fine for the HD650. I don't like the HD650 as much as the HD600 on my WA6, except when I heard the 650 off a Zana Deux they sounded very good. YMMV.

I know the stock tubes are the 6J1's and if they're on the brighter side that would be great. I know this isn't really the right thread but could you make any other suggestions for amp/dac's in a similar price range as the EF2?

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #397 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by eam88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how long it takes to ship to the DC Area/Mid-Atlantic?

I don't know about the DC area, but I ordered on a Friday and got it on a Monday and I live in NYC.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #398 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilSoundGuy 7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the stock tubes are the 6J1's and if they're on the brighter side that would be great. I know this isn't really the right thread but could you make any other suggestions for amp/dac's in a similar price range as the EF2?

Travagans White might be a good match with the HD650 in terms of frequency response/balance, and it has more power than most of the portable DAC/amps. I can't compare the White vs EF2 because I swapped gear with someone else as we wanted to review stuff the other person had. But I do think the White would be close to the EF2 in sound quality although it costs $100 more. (and for Grados you'd want to swap the White's stock opamp out for an OPA627 on an over/under 2:1 adapter). I also think the White would be a better match than the Nuforce Icon Desktop DAC/amp which is less bright and more veiled as an amp ($249).

Frequency response wise, the Meier 3MOVE portable pairs nicely with the HD600 and might work well with the HD650, but while it's power is greater with HD600 than my other portables it is still below that of a desktop amp.

So, the EF2 is the best deal around for a desktop DAC/amp. Just don't drop some "round tube'y sounding" Mullards into it for HD650...

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #401 of 1,326
So how is the DOA ratio for this then? It is from china.

I think the cheapest place I found for them new is to get it from amazon.

Nuforce Icon is actually cheaper in ebay though if you use bings cashback.

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #403 of 1,326
I just bought a pair of hd600's. They will be used for now with a headsix amp and ipod touch2g line out and nothing but lossless music files. If I bought this amp/dac and use my pc as source and ef2 internal dac, would I get better or worse sound then my current configuration?

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #404 of 1,326
the ef2's dac/amp will be an improvement to both your pc's internal sound card, and also your headsix amp

i dont know if it's worth it to feed your headsix with the ef2's dac, you'd get much better sq by using the ef2's amp instead

its a great entry level "tube" amp and has excellent synergy with hd600/650

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #405 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ef2's dac/amp will be an improvement to both your pc's internal sound card, and also your headsix amp

i dont know if it's worth it to feed your headsix with the ef2's dac, you'd get much better sq by using the ef2's amp instead

its a great entry level "tube" amp and has excellent synergy with hd600/650

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back