REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Sep 21, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #376 of 1,326
Also interested in FraGGleR's question.

I got EF2, using with DT770/80 but I am very curious if EF2 drives K701?

Second thing I want to ask is, How is the synergy between EF2 and Senn HD600?

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #377 of 1,326
EF2 just arrived. Using HD580s - Compared to my iBasso D3 with roughly 125 hours using DAC/Amp and Ef2 with 0-1 hours using DAC/Amp:

Highs- brighter/bit harsher, not as smooth
Mids- seem a little louder not as smooth
Lows-I can notice the extra power vs the D3. Bass is a bit fuller. Less distortion/clipping (whatever the correct term would be).

More powerful, more full sounding all around.

Less sound stage.

So far at zero hours it would be the D3 has more soundstage better highs/mids vs EF2 with fuller more powerful sound.

Since I am only keeping one for the next 2 years until college is done I will continue to burn both in past 200 hours before making a final decision. Also have some NOS Tung Sols on the way to roll in.

I am beginner at this so all of this is my best guess but I will report again when I have sufficient burn in on both. Also gonna test with the D3 as the DAC and EF2 as AMP.

Thanks to everyone for answering my replies on the EF2. Much appreciated.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #378 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanislaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EF2 just arrived. Using HD580s - Compared to my iBasso D3 with roughly 125 hours using DAC/Amp and Ef2 with 0-1 hours using DAC/Amp:

Highs- brighter/bit harsher, not as smooth
Mids- seem a little louder not as smooth
Lows-I can notice the extra power vs the D3. Bass is a bit fuller. Less distortion/clipping (whatever the correct term would be).

More powerful, more full sounding all around.

Less sound stage.

So far at zero hours it would be the D3 has more soundstage better highs/mids vs EF2 with fuller more powerful sound.

So far one annoyance is every time I start it, I must adjust the system volume slider to max. Gonna see if there is something I'm missing.

Since I am only keeping one for the next 2 years until college is done I will continue to burn both in past 200 hours before making a final decision. Also have some NOS Tung Sols on the way to roll in.

I am beginner at this so all of this is my best guess but I will report again when I have sufficient burn in on both. Also gonna test with the D3 as the DAC and EF2 as AMP.

Thanks to everyone for answering my replies on the EF2. Much appreciated.

That's what my EF2 sounded like before burn-in as well, so I thought it was bright and rough with my Grados and HD800 until 250 hours. After burn-in it was much nicer, and then the Raytheon 6AK5 tubes took it another step upwards. It's nice enough that I haven't used my HR Micro Amp or Meier Headfive at the bedside since CanJam...

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #379 of 1,326
I have about 150 hours on my EF2 and I think it sounds rather smooth now with my K400s'. In the beginning it was very fatiguing but with 50 hours or so of burnin it was OK and seems smooth now. I'm listening to "Sketches of Spain" rigth now which can be very brigth with the trumpet and all the horns but it's very nice. I'll continue to burn it in for another 50-100 hours and then I'll swap the stock tubes for pair of NOS Mullards.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #381 of 1,326
You gently roll the tube around in a circle while pulling upward. That's why they call it "tube rolling"
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #382 of 1,326
OK, but I've seen a video on the internet. The guy was unleashing a clip before the roling (but that was a guitar amp, I think.) So I was wondering if there is such a clip in EF2?

Ah, and where should I hold the tube?

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #383 of 1,326
I've never seen the EF2, but I have also never seen an audio amp with a clip of any kind locking on a tube.

Hold the tube as close to the base as you reasonably can.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #385 of 1,326
I was able to wrap a rubber band around the exposed top portion of the tubes to get a better grip on them. and pull them out without even removing the plexiglass cover (which gives you better access to the tubes that you don't need).

And, Skylab knows this and is just teasing, but tube rolling is like "rolling your own smokes" where people would by tobacco and paper and make their own cigarettes just the way they liked them.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #386 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You gently roll the tube around in a circle while pulling upward. That's why they call it "tube rolling"
biggrin.gif

I always wondered where that term came from. Even though I don't smoke, I always imagined people rolling tubes around in a piece of paper, like making a blunt or whatever they're called.
redface.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #387 of 1,326
Just ordered mine today! I am excited to hear it with my AKG K272HDs. I am sure it will sound better than the Nuforce Icon Mobile. Ordered an Ipod Lod to RCA as well but I will be listening mostly from my laptop through the USB DAC. Down the road I hope to upgrade the tubes and get a DAC.

Sep 27, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #388 of 1,326
I just bought a pair of Senn HD650's and I was wondering what people thought about pairing them with this amp? Thanks.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #389 of 1,326
Thanks Larry, I got it. I have an another question though. I found here in a local store, quite a variety of tubes. But guy was storing them in poor conditions. I mean all the tubes were stocked in a half gallon jar, touching each other very intimately.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I could buy them like 1$/ a pair. And I saw a few sylvania tubes, so I'd really would like to give it a try.
But there is a pretty good chance that they are unmatched or too different in balance, so I'd have to buy approximately 10 pairs or something...

My question is, Are they worth trying? Or are they certainly spoiled or broken down due to the poor storage conditions? And is it dangerous to try them in the EF2 anyway?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #390 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilSoundGuy 7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a pair of Senn HD650's and I was wondering what people thought about pairing them with this amp? Thanks.

HD650 has a nice, warm signature through the EF2. Soundstage is somewhat limited but the tone is very relaxing for extended listening. I'd highly recommend the EF2 as an entry to the tube world. Myself, I'm already eyeing a Woo Audio 6 as an upgrade to really open up my HD650's and GMP 8.35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back