REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Jul 8, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #46 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again! You really wanted this amp to get a good review for Fang, eh? Nah, you just wanted me to enjoy it more and were being nice to me.
biggrin.gif

Definitely the latter
beerchug.gif

Plus, I bought 4 of the Raytheons to get a better price, so I had 2 spares
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #47 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming the EF2 is fully burned-in, yes, it is better than the D2 Boa, no question - while the D2 Boa isn't bad it just isn't as enjoyable as the EF2. It's probably on about the sound quality level of the 3MOVE or XM5 with upgraded opamps and BUF634 buffers, but with a bit more power than the XM5 and a little more euphonic sounding than either (with stock or rolled tubes).

The D10 and Pico, while having less power for 300 ohm headphones, will be more detailed and spacious - but the Pico is not quite as warm and mellow and romantic sounding as the EF2, especially with the Raytheon 6AK5 tubes. I haven't listened to the stock D10 for a long time, but I would say it sits between the D10 and EF2 in warmth when using the Raytheon tubes (maybe closer when using the stock tubes).

thanks a lot for the response, i was considering the d10 and pico but this is enough for me to place the order for the EF2 instead

i will keep my d2 boa until the ef2 comes for comparison's purposes.. i cant wait
smily_headphones1.gif

one quick last question:

if i wanted to upgrade the tubes in the future, how hard is that to do? is it a plug and play type of thing or does it require tools/experience?

thanks

Jul 8, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #52 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by FullTwisting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could resist no longer. Payment has been sent. Awwwwww yeah.

I'm going to take my time and read more on tubes before I go buy some. I should have plenty of time while burning in and trying out the stock tubes.

i felt the same way
smily_headphones1.gif
i too am going to start reading up on tubes, this is my first tube amp! albeit a hybrid

btw, people like skylab, headphoneaddict, etc should be receiving commission lol
wink.gif
i'm sure many people purchase products based on these detailed reviews !

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #54 of 1,326
I would like to thank both HeadphoneAddict and Skylab for your great reviews.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #56 of 1,326
I just picked up my EF2 that Fang sent me. I have had a busy weekend but I wanted a quick listen so I hooked it up to my 160 Gb iPod Classic using an ALO Wooden Dock and a pair of Silver Sonics BL-1 interconnects made by Moon Audio. The files in the iPod are all Apple Lossless and the quick listen tells me this is a very nice sounding unit. I will have a lot more to say and will post more in the next week or so. Meanwhile I leave you with the following pictures.

DSCN0707.jpg

dscn0703.jpg

DSCN0706.jpg

Some quick specifications are:

Imput Impedence: 47k
Output Impedence: 32-300 Ohm
Output at 32 Ohm: 3 v, 320 mw
Output at 150 Ohm: 6.2 v, 256
Freqency: 20-20khz +-0.2db
S/N: 95db
DAC Chip: Burr-Brown PCM2702
Tube: China 6J1 * 2 pcs
Input Voltage: 16 v to 18 v; 500 mA
Power Supply: 110 v or 220 v

You can read more about it at: Head-Direct.com | YUIN

At $189 this should be selling like hot cakes!

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #58 of 1,326
Just wondering, is the dac 24 bit / 96 khz?

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #59 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by shasty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, is the dac 24 bit / 96 khz?

No, it can only go as high as 16/48, and I leave it at the 16/44.1 default when I plug into my Macbook.

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #60 of 1,326
Wow - cool seeing it next to an iPod - that thing is seriously small for a desktop amp with an inbuilt DAC. Impressive - look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back