REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Sep 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #301 of 1,326
You can't just use the DAC portion. You'd have to go through the headphone out and use it like a preamp.

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #302 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't just use the DAC portion. You'd have to go through the headphone out and use it like a preamp.

Yes, I know. I'm just wondering if the DAC goes through a different route compared to the amp section to the headphone out.

Heh, still in the air about my question being answered.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #304 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Logically the DAC is routed directly to the amp. It cannot have it's own path to the headphone out.

Cheers, I think I'll just first play it with the supplied tubes, and then swap them out with the better ones to see if there's a difference.

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #306 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering since I'm new to amps and stuff, how would you go about connecting from a computer (Via USB), to a seperate DAC then to the HifiMan EF2?

Computer => USB cable => DAC => RCA cable (or whatever works) => EF2

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #307 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Computer => USB cable => DAC => RCA cable (or whatever works) => EF2

Correct, the external dac cables would be connected to the rca inputs on the back of the HF2. You would then use the selector switch. However you may wish to first explore the sound of the EF2's internal dac. You may find it is quite satisfactory.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #308 of 1,326
Yeah, give the EF2's DAC a chance before moving to a separate DAC solution. I thought it sounded pretty good until I tried feeding it w/ the Pico, it made me realize how mediocre the EF2's DAC is.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #309 of 1,326
Hi Larry thanks for another great review
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm tight on budget (wife constraints) and keen to upgrade my amp for HD650's. What would you recommend out of these valve amps:

- EF2
- Darkvoice 336SE - ($246US)
- Little Dott MkIII - ($199)
- LIttle Dott MkII - ($159)

Have you (or anyone else here) tried any of these amps along with the EF2?

I only have a ibasso D2 atm

Cheers for any help

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #310 of 1,326
^ All of those choices have great synergy with the HD650. I've asked HeadphoneAddict the same question when deciding to buy the EF2... but he said he has not heard any Little Dot or Darkvoice amps.

BTW, just FYI, Skylab is selling a 336 w/ upgraded tubes in the for sale section.

And also want to add that I had a D2 Boa before the EF2... the improvement a night and day difference and got me hooked on the tube sound.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #311 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ All of those choices have great synergy with the HD650. I've asked HeadphoneAddict the same question when deciding to buy the EF2... but he said he has not heard any Little Dot or Darkvoice amps.

BTW, just FYI, Skylab is selling a 336 w/ upgraded tubes in the for sale section.

And also want to add that I had a D2 Boa before the EF2... the improvement a night and day difference and got me hooked on the tube sound.

Great cheers for that info
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll have a look at the unit skylab is selling... my problem is im in Sydney so shipping from US is generally pricey O.o I think from China its ~ $50

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #312 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, give the EF2's DAC a chance before moving to a separate DAC solution. I thought it sounded pretty good until I tried feeding it w/ the Pico, it made me realize how mediocre the EF2's DAC is.

Yeah, what bothers me is that I think I essentially bought another Little Dot I+, but with a DAC in it as well. I forgot why I chose this over the E-MU 0404 USB...

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #313 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, what bothers me is that I think I essentially bought another Little Dot I+, but with a DAC in it as well. I forgot why I chose this over the E-MU 0404 USB...

I almost got the Little Dot I+

care to enlighten us on the differences between the two?

btw, you'd be the first to answer that million dollar question

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #314 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by wired00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Larry thanks for another great review
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm tight on budget (wife constraints) and keen to upgrade my amp for HD650's. What would you recommend out of these valve amps:

- EF2
- Darkvoice 336SE - ($246US)
- Little Dott MkIII - ($199)
- LIttle Dott MkII - ($159)

Have you (or anyone else here) tried any of these amps along with the EF2?

I only have a ibasso D2 atm

Cheers for any help

I am currently considering the same list for my HD600's. I only hav ethe Zero ATM.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #315 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost got the Little Dot I+

care to enlighten us on the differences between the two?

btw, you'd be the first to answer that million dollar question

i recently picked up a MKIII for fun, havent had much time to listen to it though... will try to do some listening this weekend and compare(from memory) w/ the ef2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back