REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Apr 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,996 of 2,116
Apr 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #1,997 of 2,116
Hey guys! Looking into getting my first open headphone...

I wonder if someone can do a comparison between the FA-011 and Fidelio X1?
I like fun sounding headphones with good overall balance.
Also I only have the FiiO E11 as an amp and I'm just not too sure if it's powerful enough to bring the best out of the FA-011 if I decide to jump in this ship.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #1,998 of 2,116
Quote:
Hey guys! Looking into getting my first open headphone...

I wonder if someone can do a comparison between the FA-011 and Fidelio X1?
I like fun sounding headphones with good overall balance.
Also I only have the FiiO E11 as an amp and I'm just not too sure if it's powerful enough to bring the best out of the FA-011 if I decide to jump in this ship.

Since I have both I can answer the question for you. Yes the E11 portable amp can drive the FA-011's but you may need to have the volume on your source at about 50% and around 2'o clock position with the E11 to have a matching good sound output volume wise. The FA-011 benefits greatly from a more powerful amp. Be it tube or solid state based, the 011's love power, the more you feed it, the more the sound opens up, more forward and control. 

From what I understand there is a new revision that only bigsby has that I know of and looks like FA has rectified most of the QC issues they had with the various batches.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #1,999 of 2,116
Quote:

Since I have both I can answer the question for you. Yes the E11 portable amp can drive the FA-011's but you may need to have the volume on your source at about 50% and around 2'o clock position with the E11 to have a matching good sound output volume wise. The FA-011 benefits greatly from a more powerful amp. Be it tube or solid state based, the 011's love power, the more you feed it, the more the sound opens up, more forward and control. 

From what I understand there is a new revision that only bigsby has that I know of and looks like FA has rectified most of the QC issues they had with the various batches.

Thank you! At least I know now that shelling out more bucks for a better amp is not necessary to enjoy the FA-011.
So one down... one more to go: FA-011 vs Fidelio X1 comparison anyone?

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #2,000 of 2,116
And a beer bump to another Victorian to some VB 
size]

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #2,001 of 2,116
Cheers mate! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #2,006 of 2,116
Quote:
Many thanks mate!
Do you recommend the velours or leathers guys?

I can't comment on the leather(ette) pads from experience with the FA-011, but from my experiences modding T50rps, velours reduce (or rather absorb) bass, where pleather reflects it.  My guess, the bass would be exceptionally bloated with a non-fabric option.  I suspect this is why Fischer decided on their stock pads for this specific purpose.  Luckily the HiFiman pads are cheap enough to test both if you're the guinea-pig type. 
size]

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #2,007 of 2,116
Many thanks mate!
Do you recommend the velours or leathers guys?

I prefer the velours, for me they're the perfect solution on these cans. As always it comes down to what you like.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #2,008 of 2,116
I also bought the velours. They increase the comfort level without altering the sound drastically. I have only had one listening session with the new pads so YMMV. Considering pads for my other headphones can run $60. These velours are practically free.

May 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #2,010 of 2,116
I got the velours in the mail today (yay!). Have swapped one ear piece and then had a listen to see what differences I noticed. I am very happy to report that sonically I found no difference, both sides felt very balanced! So no perceived change to SQ which is great news to anyone considering those.

The thing is, the velour pads feel very similar to my Fischer Audio pads! Now my FA pads are not stock, I've performed the tissue mode on them which has already enhanced comfort a great deal. So it seems that at least for me tissue mod and velour pad come very close to each other in terms of comfort! (and are pretty much identical on sound)... Of course for $10 you might opt to go for the Velour pads anyway but if you live outside the US (velour shipped to Aus was $20) or are short on cash the tissue mode will work wonders on your FA-011!

Upon inspection it looks like the depth of the pads is similar which I think is the main thing at play here.

To other velour pads owners\experimentalists: did you remove the black thin foam material that covers the earpads (as it comes stock from FA)? I've left mine on for now, not sure if it makes a difference (so there is basically two foams between my ear and the plastic, one from the FA factory stuck to the plastic and one from the HifiMan pads).

If it matters, my FA-011 are rev 2 which was the first black revision after the original red one came out (what started this thread).

I can post some pics if anyone is interested in the comparison between tissue mod and velour pads.

PS the link to the tissue mode can be found at the bottom of the OP, but for those too lazy to go looking here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUH63_lnTJo&feature=player_embedded

Users who are viewing this thread

Back