REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Mar 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,966 of 2,116
I have a minor problem, I have one of the new FA-011's and sometimes (it happened 3/4 times so far) the right driver suddenly stops working. it works again when I replug the headphone, or when I tap the headphone.

Does anyone know what causes this?

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #1,967 of 2,116
Quote:
I have a minor problem, I have one of the new FA-011's and sometimes (it happened 3/4 times so far) the right driver suddenly stops working. it works again when I replug the headphone, or when I tap the headphone.

Does anyone know what causes this?

It's probably a bad connection, or bad soldering, easy enough to fix if you're confident enough with a soldering iron.

You can take the pad off and unscrew the driver housing to take a look, no seals or anything so won't void warranty.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,968 of 2,116
Quote:
I put on a spare pair of Shure SRH440 earcups on them. Theyre more comfortable and with the mesh inside the cup it sort of got rid of the simbilance for me. However I think it muddied everything. I cut out the mesh and it still seems kind of muddy, maybe its in my head. I just can't stand the stock earcups it irritates my ear. If there are better mods out there let me know.

I'm also very interested to know if somebody has been able to find som good replacement pads for these. The stock pads is the only thing I don't like about them now.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #1,969 of 2,116
Quote:
I'm also very interested to know if somebody has been able to find som good replacement pads for these. The stock pads is the only thing I don't like about them now.

The only other pad that can possibly fit on these and about the right size but I have not tried yet is the pads from the MB Quart GMP headphones.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #1,970 of 2,116
Originally Posted by DefQon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only other pad that can possibly fit on these and about the right size but I have not tried yet is the pads from the MB Quart GMP headphones.

Tried a pleather pad (from a FA-003 clone) and it muddied up the bass as well as created a "tunnel" effect.  I think the consensus is that the FA-011 is just too damn picky about ear pads.  Has anyone tried any Beyer pads?

My observations:

1) Pleather creates too tight of a seal
2) Velour creates too loose of a seal
3) New pads need to be Fabric based (cotton?) 
4) Deep pads create an echo effect
4) Shallow pads are uncomfortable
5) It's a PITA pad swapping with the FA-011

I put on a spare pair of Shure SRH440 earcups on them. Theyre more comfortable and with the mesh inside the cup it sort of got rid of the simbilance for me. However I think it muddied everything. I cut out the mesh and it still seems kind of muddy, maybe its in my head. I just can't stand the stock earcups it irritates my ear. If there are better mods out there let me 

The tissue mod might help for increased comfort.  I haven't tried it yet, myself.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,971 of 2,116
Pretty surprised so many having comfort issues with the FA-011's pads.  I took these bad boys (version 1/original version I guess) literally out of my closet over last weekend for kicks and was pleasantly surprised about how good they sounded and how comfortable they were. 

Used them for probably 8-9 hours on and off Sunday while studying and didn't have any comfort issues, I wear pretty large/thick framed glasses too.  That said, I guess I can see why some might prefer to get some leather on these things

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #1,972 of 2,116
Quote:
Tried a pleather pad (from a FA-003 clone) and it muddied up the bass as well as created a "tunnel" effect.  I think the consensus is that the FA-011 is just too damn picky about ear pads.  Has anyone tried any Beyer pads?

Have tried used DT990 pads low end of the bass is bit loose uncontrolled. Have tried the pads from 003's and yeah both the velour and pleather muddies everything up.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #1,973 of 2,116
Quote:
Pretty surprised so many having comfort issues with the FA-011's pads.  I took these bad boys (version 1/original version I guess) literally out of my closet over last weekend for kicks and was pleasantly surprised about how good they sounded and how comfortable they were. 

Used them for probably 8-9 hours on and off Sunday while studying and didn't have any comfort issues, I wear pretty large/thick framed glasses too.  That said, I guess I can see why some might prefer to get some leather on these things

I don't think they are necessarily uncomfortable, but just not as comfy as my HD580 or my modded T50rp.  From what I've read, the issue comes down to the pads being fairly stiff, but shallow.  Additionally, the older pads had less stuffing which I interpreted as people's ears would rub up against the grill (or felt).  I get fatigued after a few hours, especially with my glasses on.  However, I don't find them simblant as others describe, if that says something?

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #1,974 of 2,116
Quote:
Have tried used DT990 pads low end of the bass is bit loose uncontrolled. Have tried the pads from 003's and yeah both the velour and pleather muddies everything up.

At a meet, a guy brought a DT 770 with (new?) Beyer pads that felt somewhat like a cotton material.  I am hoping he brings his Beyers again and will allow me to cannibalize them for my evil purposes of testing.  They should be about the right size... any idea which Beyer "ear cushion" model the one I described is?

*Edit
I am pretty sure these are the ones I am thinking of....
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_64017_Beyerdynamic-EDT-770-NL-909815.html

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #1,975 of 2,116
Quote:

In my quest for more comfortable pads for these I put on a pair of Hifiman leather pads today. Sound got muddy again (not as bad as with the FA-003/HM5 padsbut not good enough ). Then I remembered that the Hifiman pads has a foam ring under the pillow so i removed the foam ring and voila! Great sound and a lot better comfort, I'll will have to do som more testing to be dure but my initial impression is that they sound the same as with the stock pads.

The fit is a little bit lose but they stay on.

I'll guess there's no way without ordering the velour pads from Hifiman as well
beyersmile.png

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #1,976 of 2,116
Quote:
In my quest for more comfortable pads for these I put on a pair of Hifiman leather pads today. Sound got muddy again (not as bad as with the FA-003/HM5 padsbut not good enough ). Then I remembered that the Hifiman pads has a foam ring under the pillow so i removed the foam ring and voila! Great sound and a lot better comfort, I'll will have to do som more testing to be dure but my initial impression is that they sound the same as with the stock pads.

The fit is a little bit lose but they stay on.

I'll guess there's no way without ordering the velour pads from Hifiman as well
beyersmile.png

Very interested to hear your results Peter.  I'll be receiving my pair of FA-011's soon also and am a bit concerned about the comfortability with the stock pads.  If the Hifiman leather pads can offer the same sound as the stock then that might be the dream solution right there.  Can you also verify for me if the hifiman pads are deeper than the stock pads or not?  (I hear the stock pads can be somewhat shallow?)

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #1,977 of 2,116
Quote:
At a meet, a guy brought a DT 770 with (new?) Beyer pads that felt somewhat like a cotton material.  I am hoping he brings his Beyers again and will allow me to cannibalize them for my evil purposes of testing.  They should be about the right size... any idea which Beyer "ear cushion" model the one I described is?

*Edit
I am pretty sure these are the ones I am thinking of....
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_64017_Beyerdynamic-EDT-770-NL-909815.html

Ah, I was thinking more of the thicker grey DT770/880/990 Premium pads.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #1,978 of 2,116
Quote:
Very interested to hear your results Peter.  I'll be receiving my pair of FA-011's soon also and am a bit concerned about the comfortability with the stock pads.  If the Hifiman leather pads can offer the same sound as the stock then that might be the dream solution right there.  Can you also verify for me if the hifiman pads are deeper than the stock pads or not?  (I hear the stock pads can be somewhat shallow?)

I've been trying to do some more comparision with stock pads vs Hifiman leather pads. It takes at least 30 seconds for me to channge the pads so it's not a very good a-b test. I do however find it difficult to hear a big difference between the pads. There might be a tiny bit more sub bass and equal tiny bit more recessed highs with the Hifiman pads but not a big difference, The diiference is no way near as big that it is with the FA-003/HM5 pads (the sound really sucks with these pads).

The comfort on the other hands are miles better with the Hifiman pads. 

I ordered two pairs of the Hifiman velour pads yesterday. I've got a feeling that they can be the final solution for me. It will probably take at least one week for them to arrive in Norway though.

I'll post impressions when the velour pads arrive.

Regarding the depth of the pads there's actually not a big difference. The Hifiman pads are 1-2 mm thicker. I do however belive that there's a differnce in the thickness of the stock pads between different revisions of these cans (I'm quiet sure I read that somewhere in this thread). I've got the natural wood ones with straight cord.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #1,979 of 2,116
Hi Peter,

I just went ahead and ordered a pair of the hifiman leather pads since they seem to be a pretty good alternative to the stocks according to your quick review.  I have a question though, from the pics it looks like these pads have some kind of plastic ring/clip on the back of them.  Would I have to remove this plastic piece somehow to make them fit on the FA-011?  Is there a special way to make them fit on the earcups? or is it pretty much same was as with the stock earpads?

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #1,980 of 2,116
Quote:
Hi Peter,

I just went ahead and ordered a pair of the hifiman leather pads since they seem to be a pretty good alternative to the stocks according to your quick review.  I have a question though, from the pics it looks like these pads have some kind of plastic ring/clip on the back of them.  Would I have to remove this plastic piece somehow to make them fit on the FA-011?  Is there a special way to make them fit on the earcups? or is it pretty much same was as with the stock earpads?

The plastic ring isn't attached to the pad, I believe.  The ring is detachable, and the pad should fit on similar to how the stock pad attaches.  It's very similar to how the Denon pads work.  

*Edit. PS, the leather hifi man pads are actually pleather fyi. My guess will be the sound will change, please report back if it's a positive or negative change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back