REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
May 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #677 of 2,116
I honestly don't know how I found that video but it was the best mod ever for my HPA2's!!!  Trust me, I smacked myself on the forehead wondering why I never thought of it lol.  Let us know if it works for the 011's with a positive, negative, or neutral sound quality effect =)

Quote:
Beautiful.  Thanks for the tip.  I'm not always the most commonly sensed person out there.  Beats paying $40 for new pads:p.

May 29, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #678 of 2,116
Wow that headphone looks exactly like the FA-011 lol. Even the pads look exactly the same. I did that same exact mod on my Audio-Technica AD900 pads with tissues.
biggrin.gif
It's now super comfortable and still sounds great. Hopefully it works the same with the FA-011.

May 29, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #679 of 2,116
Early impressions:  bass (warmth and impact) is a bit stronger, but not dramatically so. Still plenty of detail and clarity. Comfort is slightly better, but the pads are stiffer (duh). I used paper towels, though. Didn't have tissues handy, so YMMV. Long-term comfort to be determined.

May 30, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #680 of 2,116
Yeah, using paper towels would make it way too stiff lol.  

Update on status:

21 May 2011 - Purchased *email received*

22 May 2011 - Changed to Shipped *email received*

24 May 2011 - Tracking # sent *email received*

25 May 2011 - Exported *Russian tracking website*

29 May 2011 - California *USPS tracking site* 1hour away from my local post office

So, it definitely looks like the customs debacle has been truly solved =D.  I had the delivery pegged between Wednesday-Friday this week but might actually be sooner lol.

May 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #681 of 2,116
After listening a bit more, I decided the slight increase in comfort was not worth the increase in bass.  The increase is pretty noticeable.  Good thing it's completely reversible.  I think I'll just stick with the stock configuration and suck it up.

May 30, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #682 of 2,116
After listening to these for a few days now all I can say is WOW! Works great with every genre I've thrown at em so far and I listen to almost everything. Already sold my M50s huhu. These are some fun (not neutral) headphones indeed!! Really comfortable aswell!

May 31, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #683 of 2,116
Received finally, same day as my HF2's. These are very impressive for their cost. While I find the HF2's do everything better, in some categories the gains are not worth the near 300$ cost difference. Clarity and detail are the only areas that lack ever so slightly, but most of that is due to the slightly recessed mids. I do believe this is the new bang for buck champ! Sadly my pads arrived slighttly chewed up, kinda frustrating after such a long wait.

May 31, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #684 of 2,116

Quote:
Received finally, same day as my HF2's. These are very impressive for their cost. While I find the HF2's do everything better, in some categories the gains are not worth the near 300$ cost difference. Clarity and detail are the only areas that lack ever so slightly, but most of that is due to the slightly recessed mids. I do believe this is the new bang for buck champ! Sadly my pads arrived slighttly chewed up, kinda frustrating after such a long wait.

The mids do come forward after around 50hrs of burn in.

May 31, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #685 of 2,116
Hi!
I have a (few) question(s) to all of you who have heard both the M50s and the FA-011!
As I can see these might be superior to the M50s...Is it true? I mean can it be considered as a step up from the AT?
I love my M50s, but use them EQ-ed...(more mids, and highs, more forward vocals) and sometimes I feel the need of a bit more open sound...

And if the FA-011 is better, is it true only for using it amped, or still better than the AT without an amp?
Is there any other phones in this price price range what'd worth considering?

And my last question for now
tongue.gif
:
Do you think a portable amp like the new Fiio E11 would be enough to drive them? Not just volume of course... (it would be a nice pair FA-011+E11
cool.gif
)

Sorry if these have been answered before...

May 31, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #686 of 2,116

I just did an A/B comparison of the FA-011 and M50 a couple of days ago. For my ears, the M50 (albeit still a good headphone) has less of a "wow" factor than the FA-011. Bass is more impacting through the Fischer than through the ATH. Mids are clearer and possess more details through the FA-011. The M50, however, is more comfortable. I was thinking about selling my M50, but right have decided to keep both headphones. I do feel, however, that the sound is overall better through the FA-011. And yes, from what I've read, the Fiio E11 will be designed to drive a 160 ohm headphone. The FA-011 certainly benefits more from amplification than the M50 IMHO.
Quote:
Hi!
I have a (few) question(s) to all of you who have heard both the M50s and the FA-011!
As I can see these might be superior to the M50s...Is it true? I mean can it be considered as a step up from the AT?
I love my M50s, but use them EQ-ed...(more mids, and highs, more forward vocals) and sometimes I feel the need of a bit more open sound...

And if the FA-011 is better, is it true only for using it amped, or still better than the AT without an amp?
Is there any other phones in this price price range what'd worth considering?

And my last question for now
tongue.gif
:
Do you think a portable amp like the new Fiio E11 would be enough to drive them? Not just volume of course... (it would be a nice pair FA-011+E11
cool.gif
)

Sorry if these have been answered before...

May 31, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #687 of 2,116
Agreed, I believe these to be superior to the M50, though they are close, and both great cans for their price.

May 31, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #688 of 2,116
To prospective buyers trying to decide between the M50 & FA-011.. remember the FA-011 is an open can & the M50 is closed.. so the environment you'll be using the phones in can be a determining factor.

May 31, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #689 of 2,116
Great point there sweep!!!  Also understand this, even though this is an open can, the bass it produces is more than I thought it would provide.  No it's not bowel dropping but it's definitely surprising.  

I have limited Headphone inventory so the best way I can explain the 011 is this.  It's like a love child of the ad700 with m50 =D.  The vocals are so delicious!!!  

Update on status:  10 Days total from date of purchase, nice!!!
wink_face.gif
  With one extra day for holiday, it actually would have taken 9 days

21 May 2011 - Purchased *email received*

22 May 2011 - Changed to Shipped *email received*

24 May 2011 - Tracking # sent *email received*

25 May 2011 - Exported *Russian tracking website*

29 May 2011 - California *USPS tracking site* 1hour away from my local post office

31 May 2011 - Received!!!  "From Russia with love" -my mailwoman lol

BTW, I tested the HPA2 pads with this and they are the same ones!!!  So you can purchase the pad at $2 each from the turtlebeach store!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back