REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Jan 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,921 of 2,116
Quote:

Its hard to compete with those prices when its their home country.  We're not far off though when you take into consideration our prices include delivery and GST.

It seems however they're no longer around?

It is indeed unfair to compare prices from a point like that, but hey everyone likes to save a buck or two accounting possible risks taken at times.

Yeah they are no longer around, which is shame because I wanted to try out few of the amplifiers they were selling, not to mention they got wide range of wooden cup's for the 002/003's.

Quote:
So how do these compare to Grado? I love the lush midrange and sparkly treble on my HF2's but would really like some more bass extension, and overall detail. Are they as energetic and up-front as a Grado?

Think of a Grado with a deeper and more intimate soundstage, not too narrow, not too big, sound signature bit more laid back (dark), excellent bass extension as well bass presence, slightly recessed treble but not shelved back due to the bass (can be cured with a tube amp), well distinguished highs not piercing or fake sounding well rounded off with the rest of the music notes from your music. Not as up-front as Grado's more opposite, energetic? Hmm energetic in the bass department, not your Denon D2k fart bass, but well extended. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,922 of 2,116
Quote:
So how do these compare to Grado? I love the lush midrange and sparkly treble on my HF2's but would really like some more bass extension, and overall detail. Are they as energetic and up-front as a Grado?

You can't associate FA-011 with lush midrange.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #1,923 of 2,116
Quote:
You can't associate FA-011 with lush midrange.

^ Yup, heard a lot of good mid-low bass, but not as much subbass as say the Denon D Series
                                      ^Yup I confirm the rather recessed midrange
                                                               ^^^ FINALLY a graph that can speak for me about FA011's sibilance - 7kHz Peak

Edit: Where did you get this graph?

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #1,924 of 2,116
Hey guys, maybe you can help me make a decision.  I have zipped through most of this thread again (and kept an eye on it over the years).  I am looking for a few answers.  I wanted to purchase a set of FA-011 since the day LFF posted this review in 2011.  I hesitated originally due to not owning an amp at the time.  Now that I have some Schiit gear, I hesitate once again.  I have hear both good and bad statements about the Asgard paired with these Fischers.  Noisy Motel is offering a pre-sale... should I or shouldn't I...

This is what I am looking for; thoughts and opinions on the following:

1) Does the FA-011 pair well with the Asgard
2) If not, would I be better off saving for a HE-400 over this?
3) Does the FA-011 sound it's best unmodded? (I have modded the T50rp, and am looking for a pair of cans to run 100% vanilla)
4) Are the stock pads the only option? Or are there any other options that don't change the sound?  (Don't hate me for contradicting myself in #4 
size]
)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #1,925 of 2,116
Quote:
              ^ Yup, heard a lot of good mid-low bass, but not as much subbass as say the Denon D Series
                                      ^Yup I confirm the rather recessed midrange
                                                               ^^^ FINALLY a graph that can speak for me about FA011's sibilance - 7kHz Peak

Edit: Where did you get this graph?

You can fix it by cables and few mods to the driver and the internal wood housing.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #1,926 of 2,116
Quote:
1) Does the FA-011 pair well with the Asgard
2) If not, would I be better off saving for a HE-400 over this?
3) Does the FA-011 sound it's best unmodded? (I have modded the T50rp, and am looking for a pair of cans to run 100% vanilla)
4) Are the stock pads the only option? Or are there any other options that don't change the sound?  (Don't hate me for contradicting myself in #4 
size]
)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

1. Yes
2. Yes (due to QC issues and inconsistent build quality)
3. Yes, but you mod it to take it a step further. The 011's loves tube based amps though
4. Yes, new 011's models come with a newly revised pad that is more thicker than the old earpads. Changing earpads to other ones can cause serious detrimental problems with the sound, i.e. sounds crappier.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,927 of 2,116
Quote:
1. Yes
2. Yes (due to QC issues and inconsistent build quality)
3. Yes, but you mod it to take it a step further. The 011's loves tube based amps though
4. Yes, new 011's models come with a newly revised pad that is more thicker than the old earpads. Changing earpads to other ones can cause serious detrimental problems with the sound, i.e. sounds crappier.

Thank you for your prompt response.  I appreciate the advice.  I think I am going to hold off on the HE-400s until I can hear a review about them paired with the new Asgard 2.  For now, I think the Fischers should subside my upgrade bug for a bit.  I have a hd580 with the hd600 mod, and it just doesn't "do it" for me.  I want something with more bass impact that I can compare to my T50rp mods.  

You mentioned mods to "take it a step further".   Besides a recable, what other mods benefit the FA-011?  

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,928 of 2,116
Quote:

Thank you for your prompt response.  I appreciate the advice.  I think I am going to hold off on the HE-400s until I can hear a review about them paired with the new Asgard 2.  For now, I think the Fischers should subside my upgrade bug for a bit.  I have a hd580 with the hd600 mod, and it just doesn't "do it" for me.  I want something with more bass impact that I can compare to my T50rp mods.  

You mentioned mods to "take it a step further".   Besides a recable, what other mods benefit the FA-011?  

To be honest I hated the HE-400 when I heard them, I was thinking along the lines this sound's god awful why are they hyped so much. Swapped the cables out for some Stefan Audio Art's and my friends Crystal Piccolino, gave it a good 10-20 minutes for my ears to recognise and get use to the sound and man sure liked them, I just dislike the blue colour though.

With regards the 011's, mrbigsby said that their will be a new FA-011 revision coming out soon which should be an improvement quality and sound wise (sound wise by sounding like the first batch of "golden" 011's released before the bad batches came rolling out) so theirs a positive note there.

I have a HD600 with HD580 headband as the original broke and I can tell you now, these can sound good out of a bright, beefy sounding amp, my pimped 2 channel B22 and my pimped Crack + my HD600 sounds very very damn good, killer combo for the price. I'm actually surprised you don't like your HD580 (same drivers used in HD600), a lot of old school veterans actually prefer it to the newer HD650's. Since the sound is already laid back and dark/warm pairing it with a warm amp of the same characteristic will result in an unpleasant sound.

My further steps I have taken with my 011's is resoldering the crappy soldered resistors inside, give the solder a reflow, I have dis-assembled my unit completely (picture on previous pages in this thread), I have so far made them balanced, detachable cables mod by using dual entry mini 4-pin XLR which I can interchange my Crystal Piccolino that I made my LCD2's (which is now a display model). I have also sanded the grills from stock black to silver, high grit sand paper give's a bit of refreshing look as black is just boring. Have done some modifications to the wood with dampening to it. I suspect there might be resonance off the grills and the Fischer badge but that mod is for another time. Amped through my modded Darkvoice 336SE tube amp with the right tubes for the music I'm listening they exceed the sound of my LCD2's.

These babies are not to be under-estimated. Treat them good with amplification and you will go a long way on that path of music.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #1,929 of 2,116
I've got the natural wood version of the FA-011 and they sound almost scary good paired with my tube dac and the Shiit Magni.

For a lot of my music I prefer them over my SR325is.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,930 of 2,116
Quote:
To be honest I hated the HE-400 when I heard them, I was thinking along the lines this sound's god awful why are they hyped so much. Swapped the cables out for some Stefan Audio Art's and my friends Crystal Piccolino, gave it a good 10-20 minutes for my ears to recognise and get use to the sound and man sure liked them, I just dislike the blue colour though.

With regards the 011's, mrbigsby said that their will be a new FA-011 revision coming out soon which should be an improvement quality and sound wise (sound wise by sounding like the first batch of "golden" 011's released before the bad batches came rolling out) so theirs a positive note there.

I have a HD600 with HD580 headband as the original broke and I can tell you now, these can sound good out of a bright, beefy sounding amp, my pimped 2 channel B22 and my pimped Crack + my HD600 sounds very very damn good, killer combo for the price. I'm actually surprised you don't like your HD580 (same drivers used in HD600), a lot of old school veterans actually prefer it to the newer HD650's. Since the sound is already laid back and dark/warm pairing it with a warm amp of the same characteristic will result in an unpleasant sound.

My further steps I have taken with my 011's is resoldering the crappy soldered resistors inside, give the solder a reflow, I have dis-assembled my unit completely (picture on previous pages in this thread), I have so far made them balanced, detachable cables mod by using dual entry mini 4-pin XLR which I can interchange my Crystal Piccolino that I made my LCD2's (which is now a display model). I have also sanded the grills from stock black to silver, high grit sand paper give's a bit of refreshing look as black is just boring. Have done some modifications to the wood with dampening to it. I suspect there might be resonance off the grills and the Fischer badge but that mod is for another time. Amped through my modded Darkvoice 336SE tube amp with the right tubes for the music I'm listening they exceed the sound of my LCD2's.

These babies are not to be under-estimated. Treat them good with amplification and you will go a long way on that path of music.

I don't know which revision I will get, but I am ordering from the Noisy Motel pre-order.  As for the HE-400, I am not willing to purchase $400 phones without listening to em. Maybe someone will bring a pair to the next local Headfi meet.  Last meet, I am absolutely fell in love with the HE-6.  Alternatively, I did not like the sound of the HE-500 on my Schiit setup.  We're in agreement about the HE-400's color; blue = bleck!

For the HD580/600, I shouldn't say I dislike it, I just wasn't holy impressed with it in my setup.  I love the soundstage, but I have pushed better sound out of one of my T50rp mods.  I am looking for something with a tad bit more bass punch yet still decent soundstage.  I like being able to customize T50rps to my taste, but want a new sound signature.  After hearing what everyone has to say about the FA-011, it sounds just what I am looking for (in my budget, of course).  As long as the FA-011 is comfortable, I do not plan on ever modding 'em.  Had I went with the HE-400 direction, then I would have still needed the velour pads.  I cannot stand pleather.  I appreciate the advise, and of course, am super excited to receive my pair from Noisy Motel -- anyone know how long it take for them to ship to the states?

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #1,933 of 2,116
Quote:
Are there any other places where I can buy these headphones? I know about Noisy Motel and Top Dog Headphones.

There are a few other options but everywhere else is OOS.  Anywhere not linked on Fischer's website, just avoid.  I have held off buying my pair for far too long.  I decided to go with Noisy Motel after corresponding with Billy.  I felt like I interrogated him with all the questions I asked.  Sure you'll save a few bucks ($21 for me) by purchasing from Top Dog (thanks for the link btw 
wink.gif
); but I know I will be getting the newest revision with Noisy.  Additionally, Billy promised that they are going to test my FA-011 before they ship out to ensure there aren't any problems.  Here's a summery of my "interrogation" (I summarized my parts for brevity):

Me: Will this batch ship out with the protective case?
Billy: "Yes, it will be available in the same protective case as before."
Me: Can you/Noisy Motel can test the headphones to ensure they are working order before shipping?
Billy: "For international orders, we check all headphones to ensure they're fine before we ship them."
Me: Out of curiosity, how long does shipping usually take to get to the states?
Billy: "We have tracking information for our delivery, and it's due to arrive here in Australia on the 27th.  We just need a day to check the stock and get the back-orders out.  We ship international first, so you'll be in the leading pack of the first to get shipped. It should only take about 5 to 6 days to get to you after we've shipped it."

I cannot say how appreciative I am of Noisy Motel's customer service.  I was referred to them by another Headfier, and will give them repeat business in the future.  In case anyone was wondering, the total shipped price to the US is was 214AUD.  Ironically, my cost after currency exchange was $7 more at the time of purchase than it is at the time of posting 
size]
... what are you going to do America?!  Politics aside, if you want to purchase from Top Dog, email and confirm their revision before making your purchase.  Report back on their customer service, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back