REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Jan 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #1,906 of 2,116
Yeah I think the Velour pads will work a lot better than the pleather, it's a shame they didn't include them in the Digitech version from Jaycar, not that I can complain getting them @ $70 rather than ~$180 for the official Fischer ones.

I've set up the existing mesh underneath the thin cloth mesh that comes with the 003 pads - the existing mesh already had the middle cut out, which is approx the size of a 10 cent coin. Do you think cutting into the cloth mesh would still help? Or could I even increase the size of the existing cutout in the original foam?

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #1,909 of 2,116
Ok, the sound is extremely muddy and well craptastic....do not use velour pads on the 011's. It's that bad, going to try the pleather ones.

EDIT: OMG....My ears...what have I done to my ear's to deserve such craptastic, recessed and muddy sound. The pleathers are just as bad as the velours....rundllexe how the fak are you listening to these with the pleather pads on?

EDIT: Back to the original Fischer pads, believe it or not more than just a night and day difference with a pad swap and every sounds as it should be now. Fischer wasn't bullschiting when they said they experimented with a lot of earpads and the current ones come as the best sounding.

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #1,910 of 2,116
Hey DefQon, not sure why they are that bad for you? Did you try EQ'ing similar to my settings, original sound was pure mud but EQ'ing controlled the midbass a lot better. I've since tested them on some fuzz rock and well, yeah they sucked pretty bad, I lost all definition of the low tuned distortioned guitars. What music did you use to test them with the pad swap?

EDIT: Also ear positioning within the cup makes a huge difference, rear of the pads close to your ears equal dull and lifeless, too close to the front and it's overly bright this, somewhere in the middle appears to be the sweet spot.

Also it's probably not worthwhile doing if you are satisfied with your current pads, as I still do not think the sound can touch the original pads, just in my scenario it greatly improves the comfort, and with it the listening experience overall. YMMV though :)

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #1,911 of 2,116
Quote:
Hey DefQon, not sure why they are that bad for you? Did you try EQ'ing similar to my settings, original sound was pure mud but EQ'ing controlled the midbass a lot better. I've since tested them on some fuzz rock and well, yeah they sucked pretty bad, I lost all definition of the low tuned distortioned guitars. What music did you use to test them with the pad swap?

EDIT: Also ear positioning within the cup makes a huge difference, rear of the pads close to your ears equal dull and lifeless, too close to the front and it's overly bright this, somewhere in the middle appears to be the sweet spot.

Also it's probably not worthwhile doing if you are satisfied with your current pads, as I still do not think the sound can touch the original pads, just in my scenario it greatly improves the comfort, and with it the listening experience overall. YMMV though :)

No I don't bother eq'ing these as I have my modded DV 336SE with 1966 GE 6AS7GT/Smoked glass RCA 1980's 6SN7 rectifiers to be so perfectly matching with my balanced/modded 011's with stock pads, bests my LCD2's even. Yeah the comfort was improved with both the pleather and velours but a bit too much grab on the ear's letting my ears not be able to breathe.

The sound was extremely bad, worse than a pair +10db Beat's headphones, everything was so muddy and shelved...all I heard was boom boom and very little treble, no sense of clarity or definition whatsoever, but I've got the first batch unit and there are variance between mine and few other 011's I have heard and modded. Note (the first batch was the golden batch). But seriously man, if my 011's came sounding the way they did when I put those 003 pads on, I would literally throw my headphones against the wall.

I may need to try the pads again to confirm my initial impressions.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,912 of 2,116
No I don't bother eq'ing these as I have my modded DV 336SE with 1966 GE 6AS7GT/Smoked glass RCA 1980's 6SN7 rectifiers to be so perfectly matching with my balanced/modded 011's with stock pads, bests my LCD2's even. Yeah the comfort was improved with both the pleather and velours but a bit too much grab on the ear's letting my ears not be able to breathe.

The sound was extremely bad, worse than a pair +10db Beat's headphones, everything was so muddy and shelved...all I heard was boom boom and very little treble, no sense of clarity or definition whatsoever, but I've got the first batch unit and there are variance between mine and few other 011's I have heard and modded. Note (the first batch was the golden batch). But seriously man, if my 011's came sounding the way they did when I put those 003 pads on, I would literally throw my headphones against the wall.

I may need to try the pads again to confirm my initial impressions.

I completely agree with the way you describe the sound when I tried my HM5 pads on the FA-011. Just terrible.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #1,914 of 2,116
"With new nameplates, new single coiled cable, updated grills and better finishing allround, the FA-011 is now better than ever!" 

from the Fischer Audio supplier Noisy Motel "With an enhanced look, the new revision of the Fischer Audio FA-011 headphones, remains visually stunning and offers great comfort levels. The open back design provides a great soundstage and excellent sound with an emphasis on bass. Amplification is required for best performance."

Cant find any info on tuning etc, but im guessing these are more like the famous first batch with the reminiscent curly cord. They certainly look like they have lifted the quality up yet another notch on this one. I simply cant believe what you get for your money with these things- its mental! Ive got my pair on pre-order for delivery in the first week of Feb, and counting the sleeps!

Heres the pre-order link,  they say they ship world wide.

http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=333

The pic gets bigger when clicked. Really digging "handcrafted in Russia" engraving to the cups. the finishing on these is so sexy.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #1,916 of 2,116
Better still just swap out the drivers if you prefer yours. If I had to take a punt though, I'd say these will sound like the 1st batch. Based on how much effor they went to to make it look like the first one, and that they are calling it a new revision. Ill know in a week or so.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #1,918 of 2,116
Quote:
Who knows, but shame the price is so expensive $169 from NM. The FA-011's only cost $130 + $10 ship from St.Petersburg, Russia from gd-Audiobase. Now they are gone....

Its hard to compete with those prices when its their home country.  We're not far off though when you take into consideration our prices include delivery and GST.

It seems however they're no longer around?

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #1,919 of 2,116
From what I've read you can be waiting a very very long time to get cans from that place. Plus once you factor taxes etc its like $20 difference. To me personally the service you get from local Australian suppliers like Billy is worth every penny a hundred times over. Any issues are instantly dealt with. Plus I'm lucky enough to live close enough to audition new items!

First time I've seen you post Billy, can't wait for the new stock to come in. My pockets are melting!!!

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #1,920 of 2,116
So how do these compare to Grado? I love the lush midrange and sparkly treble on my HF2's but would really like some more bass extension, and overall detail. Are they as energetic and up-front as a Grado?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back