Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Jan 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #2,296 of 3,047
here are some pictures of the drivers, front and back. i godda say i love how well made these feel. none of the plastic feels cheap or bends, and the deadening in the cups actually deadens the sound (knock on the back, then on the deadening material. one makes a slight "dom dom dom" sound, the other just goes "thunk thunk thunk". works well for something so thin) 
there is a code on the front of the driver which reads "42B 04K11". would be good to see if the FA and HM5 have the same code or if each headphone has a different code. 
only other observations, there is some foam stuck in the back of the driver, im gussing to limit air flow into/out of the driver coils. to tune bass response.
another is that the lindy branded headphones do not have the coloured rings in the headphone sockets (i think the FA-003 do, not sure about the HM5)
thinking about sending an email to yoga asking if they experimented with any other tweaks and if they would share the results with us.  

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #2,297 of 3,047
i also did some investigation into the frequency graphs that have been making the rounds on here. i obtained 3 graphs; one from the lindy HiFi headphones (graph labelled as yoga CD-880, the OEM manufacturer and product ID) and two from FA-003's, one from a russian site and one from inner fidelity. ive combined the three graphs below and scaled them to fit on the same chart. ive also added the HD600 and HD650 graphs from headphone.com for comparison purposes.
although they have been scaled, all the numerical values from this graph match the original graphs so they are as accurate as the original graphs. 

as you can see, frequency graphs vary wildly even for the same headphone. to my ears the inner fidelity graph (shown in red) is the most accurate, but YMMV. 
all original graphs are linked below:
lindy: http://cdn.head-fi.org/1/1c/1c0f862f_lindy_fr.png
Russian FA-03: http://doctorhead.ru/images/misc/catalog/fischer_audio/fa003/fr.png
inner fidelity (pdf data sheet): http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FischerAudioFA003.pdf
HD600: =573]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=573
hd650: =853]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=853

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #2,300 of 3,047
Need to share this with mod'ers:

I could not track down an imbalance between left/right on my HM5. When removing - then replacing - the gray foam disc behind the driver, you need to be certain you expand it to the same shape and form it was from the factory. In other words, make damn sure it doesn't have any kinks or wrinkles in it.

I removed the foam, found I did not like the more forward mids that came with the desired increase in the highs, then installed the foam to return to factory tuning.

I heard an imbalance in the midrange with one side being approximately 3dB quieter than the other. Through impedance measurements and trial and error with certain other mods I had performed, I knew the only factor that remained was the work I performed on the foam damper behind the driver. I removed the foam and re-installed paying much closer attention to methodology and found those missing decibels! Weird. But true.

(The problem was bad enough that I had gotten to the point of tossing the headphones on the carpet, proclaiming driver defect.)

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #2,301 of 3,047
I sold my LCD-2s because of financial reasons (full-time student) and now I'm thinking about rejoining the FA-003 group. From browsing the last few pages, it seems not much has changed in the likeness of the sound. Also, the early reports of companies using the same FA-003 shell may be that they're using the same drivers as well?

A few questions regarding sound: 1) How does the FA-003 compare with the High Edition version? I'm not even sure if that is the right name, but I remember reading about those somewhere. Can anyone link me to a relevant review post on this? 2) Can anyone compare firsthand the FA-003 with D2000s?

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #2,302 of 3,047

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #2,303 of 3,047
just got my fa-003s yesterday from frogbeats, they shipped out thursday morning and arrived at my door the next day friday afternoon all the way from the UK, i live in nyc.

Initial impressions are good, havent had that much time to really listen, but theres one con.

the clamping force on these things is something fierce, did it become less overtime for any of you? i wore these for about half hour and my jaw started to hurt. I really like them other than the force and I hope they become slightly more bearable over time.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #2,304 of 3,047
Feb 19, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #2,305 of 3,047
Yes they are supposed to be the same as is at least a third brand I can't remember the name off. They are all oem'ed from a large Chinese manufacturer. Each brand may then do some tweaking and there may be different asscories

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #2,307 of 3,047

Quote:
Yes they are supposed to be the same as is at least a third brand I can't remember the name off. They are all oem'ed from a large Chinese manufacturer. Each brand may then do some tweaking and there may be different asscories

After doing some searching there seems to be at least 5 companies (inc brainwavz) using the same housing. Don't know why they would choose this one as it looks ugly imo. Do they all use exactly the same drivers as well? 

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #2,308 of 3,047
Supposedly yes. A FischerAudio rep. gave an explanation in a thread here this year on this site but I don't remeber in what thread that was.

Quote:

After doing some searching there seems to be at least 5 companies (inc brainwavz) using the same housing. Don't know why they would choose this one as it looks ugly imo. Do they all use exactly the same drivers as well? 

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #2,309 of 3,047

Quote:
Supposedly yes. A FischerAudio rep. gave an explanation in a thread here this year on this site but I don't remeber in what thread that was.

If they are all exactly the same then the FA-003 would be poor value for money. Although it has a ridiculous name the lindy headphone is £40 cheaper.

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #2,310 of 3,047
It would seem that way. Fischer does some tweaking and I don't know if there is a difference in supplied accessories

Users who are viewing this thread

Back