Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Apr 18, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #1,501 of 3,047
the oo3 is like a convex lens...
the 600 is more akin to a flat glass.
visonically speaking.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #1,502 of 3,047

Quote:
The imaging and layering on the shures were not nearly as good in my experience.It all felt like the music was coming from a 2d plane as opposed to a more 3d feel with the Fischers. Interesting about the foobar plugin, must check it out. 

I completely agree. Sound staging an imaging are two of the weaknesses of the shures. These are on another playing field. I wouldn't go as far as preferring them over any stax, but they are on par sonically with other midrange cans that costs much more. Out of the cans I own, they come in last, but that doesn't diminish how good these are. They are really good and have no glaring weaknesses.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,503 of 3,047
In the two weeks I tested the SRH840's, they really lacked in SS and Imaging.  No contest to the FA002w's I have now.  Just not even close. Nothing in the Shure sounded more than right at my ear, to me.  On the Fischers, sounds are coming at me from all over.  I'm now discovering older music I passed over, as it sounds so unreal! 

Example, The Beach Boys and Eagles.  Just crazy harmonies!  

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,504 of 3,047

Quote:
In the two weeks I tested the SRH840's, they really lacked in SS and Imaging.  No contest to the FA002w's I have now.  Just not even close. Nothing in the Shure sounded more than right at my ear, to me.  On the Fischers, sounds are coming at me from all over.  I'm now discovering older music I passed over, as it sounds so unreal! 

Example, The Beach Boys and Eagles.  Just crazy harmonies!  

What are you playing the FA-002w from?

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #1,506 of 3,047

Quote:
Usually my bedroom.  Sometimes the living room.  Very occasionally outside.  On a very special occasion, the fun room.

Seriously, I just love saying things a thousand times, but a Cowon S9.  

Really, you get outside with your FA-002w? I don't even have the guts to do so...

I'm kidding =) Can't get the Cowon here in Canada

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #1,508 of 3,047
I'd say the soundstage is above average.. not huge.  It is however, very accurate and has good width and depth.. imaging is excellent.  How well the 003 handles practically everything I've thrown at it (jazz, blues, to classical, metal, hip hop, downtempo, DnB, etc.) is one of the main reasons I like this phone so much.

The movers arrived yesterday.. within minutes of them unloading, I ravaged through the box which contained all my headphones & grabbed the DBA & 003.

I've got to revise my previous statement calling the 003's soundstage merely "above average".. It's obviously been away too long cause when I hooked it up to my iPhone 4, it's got a SPECTACULAR soundstage.

Again, it seems dependent on how/well the music was recorded, but what the 003 is capable of when it comes to soundstage is really quite something.. especially taking into account the fact it's incredibly accurate when it comes to imaging.  I'm looking forward to watching some movies with the 003.

Also, I've also found the 003 sounds better from the iPhone 4 than the 3GS, unamped.  I know they have different DACs (not sure about the hp amp, though).. but I find the Cirrus chip to be cleaner sounding, more analytical, better balanced (I found the 3GS to be a little aggressive, mid-forward, and a little thick).. the iPhone 4 sounds like a really good match with the 003, personally speaking.  The Cirrus chip seems to have better separation too..

How good the 003 sounds unamped is something that I don't think it gets enough credit for.  In the midst of all the huff when comparing it to cans in it's class and above, the 003's ability to scale up as well as down is important to users/owners like me and is certainly considered when choosing phones.  On that point alone, it throws dirt in the face of the HD600.

Despite the fact the 003 doesn't leave my house & I've always got the ultrasleek Arrow at my disposal at any given moment, I still love listening to cans straight out of my iPhone (my primary DAP).  So, if you're a heavy portable DAP user & are considering the 003 amongst other cans, consider how well those other cans scale up as well as down.. I think the choice is very clear.

Apr 20, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,509 of 3,047
I was listening to the album Phonophani by Phonophani earlier today. Some experimental electronica on the magnificent norwegian label Rune Grammofon. When the first tune started, I couldn't believe how well the FA003 was sounding. As many have mentioned in this thread, imaging and soundstage on this headphone is quite good. This was very clear with this music. It was like the music was presented as an abstract sculpture, floating in front of me. My personal art exhibition. Music wasn't just sound anymore. But I must mention, the FA003 is my first headphone of the better caliber, so interpret these words with that in mind. But I just wanted to say, I'm really enjoying my FA003.

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #1,510 of 3,047
hi all,

I just joined FA-003 club by purchasing them from a fellow head-fi'er. I am trying to "digest" how good they are. Here are some questions/observations:

1) They don't sound as great while listening at low volumes, only after my uDAC is past 10:30-11, it becomes obvious why people like them. Would you agree? Is this a me or uDAC (v1) phenomenon?

2) source: there is some talk about portable sources right above this post. I feel my Fuze doesn't do justice these guys. uDAC sounds better: bass is prominent and mids are fuller. My problem is how much of the FA-003s' potential I see with uDAC, I don't know. Would you say 90%?

3) My aim getting these to get the best value for full size headphone in 100-200 range without having to upgrade my uDAC. I like them so far, they are better my AD700s (except soundstage, airiness) and HP910s ( except bass slam) in most aspects, but of course without hearing other HPs it is hard for me to be a judge of that.

cheers,

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #1,512 of 3,047
Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Out of the cans I own, they come in last, but that doesn't diminish how good these are. They are really good and have no glaring weaknesses.

If I were you and they didn't come in last, I'd be pretty pissed.. your cheapest can is more than three times the cost of the 003!  LOL.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #1,513 of 3,047

Did some A/Bing this evening between the wood cups & the stock ones (which I hadn't switched back to since getting the woodies).. I noticed the wood cups took me back a few feet in terms of soundstage.  With the stock cups, the sound felt more forward and actually a bit more accurate in terms of imaging.  With the wood cups, the timbre of the low & mids seemed better rounded, the bass tightened a tad, and became a little more airy.. but the treble lost some of the sizzle & bite I like so much.

With the stock cups, I found the treble was a little crisper and the overall sound was a bit more forward.. which I enjoyed.  I'm thinking about getting the leather dampeners for the stock cups just to see if they make a difference in the stock cups' sound.. has anyone ordered/installed them?  How does it compare to the stock foam in the 003 cups?

I just may be coming to the realization I like the sound of the stock cups more than the woodies!  
ph34r.gif

The most noticeable change in the sound I observed when going to the woodies was the tighteneing of the entire fq range.. this, led to a (perceived) faster sound, and better separation.  Note though, these changes are quite delicate and minute.. we're not talking night & day here when swapping cups.. so I certainly don't intend to imply the stock cups are sloppy or unrefined.. quite the opposite actually.. in that, perhaps after dampening them with something higher quality than foam, they could very well compete with some higher end wood cups?  The stock 003 actually sounds very very very good, IMO.. and perhaps more neutral than the 5-step cups?  Which take some edge of the treble..

It's late & I just might be hearing things so I'll continue to A/B tomorrow.  I have been listening to the stock cups all day today so my ears have adequately adjusted to the stock 003 sound.. It was tonight that I swapped back in the wood cups to notice something different.

Listening was done from my iPhone 4 + Arrow 3G amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back