Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Aug 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #2,686 of 3,047
Quote:
To anyone who has heard both the FA003 and DT48E, how do they compare? 

I'm looking to spend <$400 on a closed-back headphone, and want something accurate to the recording. I already own the FA003, which are very accurate, but they have a very peculiar presentation. I could be misinterpreting the sound, but I have noticed an echo? Which really bugs me! 

I have noticed this "echo" too.  It is not awful, but it is there.

This is why I want to try the Fischer FA-002.  The open back version might help get rid of that small echo?

I wonder if there are any Yoga CD-990 /Fischer FA-002 clones out there??? 

Aug 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #2,689 of 3,047
Sold my HM5s because of the echo too, as well as a frequency response I eventually found quite undesirable. It sounds to me like listening to music through the shape the cups and earpads create: a big hollow tube, which might make sense because that's literally what you're doing with these headphones :p

Quote:
What is the best way to get rid of that echo?

Nobody's come up with one that I'm aware of. It seems like it's taken up until more recently for more people to start noticing it in the first place. I forget who it was, but somebody here put SRH940 pads on theirs and said it reduced (but not eliminated) the effect. I wonder if Kingpage's mods help at all with this? Having cotton or some type of material stuffed inside the cups? I have no idea.

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #2,690 of 3,047
Quote:
Sold my HM5s because of the echo too, as well as a frequency response I eventually found quite undesirable. It sounds to me like listening to music through the shape the cups and earpads create: a big hollow tube, which might make sense because that's literally what you're doing with these headphones :p

Nobody's come up with one that I'm aware of. It seems like it's taken up until more recently for more people to start noticing it in the first place. I forget who it was, but somebody here put SRH940 pads on theirs and said it reduced (but not eliminated) the effect. I wonder if Kingpage's mods help at all with this? Having cotton or some type of material stuffed inside the cups? I have no idea.

I have the SRH940 Pads and it helps the echo a little.  But does not get rid of it all together.  Though, to be honest, I do not notice it much anymore.

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #2,691 of 3,047
I think the "new" HM5 pads help reduce this strange sound. You can get them as replacements for around $8 each. They're not listed as different, but they certainly are different from the pads that came with my HM5. Very similar, but different. Mostly softer material (especially in the "inner donut" part of the pad), not as thick and rigid.

For anyone experimenting with damping materials in the cups (aside from Dynamat and any adhesive material placed on top of that), try fairly open memory foam. I cut up an old memory foam pad I was no longer using. There's a fine balance in how much you use, but it seems to help smooth out the sound in general. If you use enough (but not too much), it works better than covering parts of the cup vents to help tune the lower mids and bass.

Might have made them sound objectively worse, but I also removed the paper covering the front of the drivers. I also have some foam discs (cut up from KSC75 ear pads) in front of the drivers to help tame some treble spots. The FA-003 does have some rough, peaky treble in places.

YMMV. I don't care too much about my HM5s, so I'm willing to mess with them quite a bit.

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2,692 of 3,047
I'm a little curious if this echo or strange sound that's been brought up is something that a lot of people notice. I was considering picking these up some time soon but I may rule them out and take a closer look at others like the KRK 8400 or Shure 840 instead if there's a noticeable echo on the HM5.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2,693 of 3,047
Quote:
I'm a little curious if this echo or strange sound that's been brought up is something that a lot of people notice. I was considering picking these up some time soon but I may rule them out and take a closer look at others like the KRK 8400 or Shure 840 instead if there's a noticeable echo on the HM5.

I'd say there's probably a majority that haven't said anything about it, but over time some more people have started to notice/agree. If you don't have other headphones to do direct comparisons with, you may not notice it. Though it becomes very apparent, IME, when compared to open headphones especially.

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #2,697 of 3,047
Yes the Old Fischer pads are much better than the clone pads but these phones do some strange things at som frequences. There are actually some frequencies where the phones seem to amplify external sounds. This shows in the innerfidelity charts

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #2,698 of 3,047
i want to ask if there someone can help me..
i just buying the fa 003. but i found that the clamping so tight.. 
if there any way to mod this thing. can anyone show the thread. or maybe someone here can give the solution..

sorry if my english so bad. engish is not my native language.

thanks before..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back