[review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer HDJ-2000, V-Moda M80, Aiaiai TMA-1
Aug 27, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #406 of 452
Hi interesting review. 
beerchug.gif
  Read many times to digest the many information. 
A question though. How does the DT1350 render guitar sounds? Does it come off as dry or sound a little off? Is it musical enough compared to M80's or HD25's? It is important as I listen to many songs with distortion guitars.
And which is your favourite phone from the bunch? 

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #407 of 452
Acoustic guitars are great on the DT1350. Distortion and crunch is more fun on the HD25. The M80 sits somewhere in between. 

My favourite would still be the modded Pioneers, but that's mainly a comfort thing for me. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #408 of 452
Very nice review. I own the M80 and Sennheiser Amperior, sold the DT1350s and have heard the HD25 awhile back.

You should check out the Amperiors. IMHO they are a very noticeable step up from the HD25s and are the reason I sold the DT1350s (which I very much liked) - and honestly the M80s aren't really in the same league as either the DT1350s or Amperiors. They will be on sale soon enough.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #409 of 452
I'm really interested in trying out an Amperior, but have no idea when they'll be available in Canada. I had asked Sennheiser for a review unit at one point, but never heard from them. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #410 of 452
Come on Sennheiser, give the man a demo unit. All the marketing they do all over the place, and they drop the ball on this
tongue.gif

In the states, they are only available in the Apple store and only certain ones at that, so it may be a bit premature. I hope you are able to demo a pair since you put the time and effort to review all the relevant on ear closed phones.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #412 of 452
I am thinking of either getting a pair of the HD25-1 II or DT1350. They will be paired with a FiiO e11 and l9 cable to either a iPad or iPhone if this makes a huge difference. 

I listen mainly to metal, but the very slow Funeral Doom and some Doom/Death. Funeral Doom makes up the majority of my listening. I do tend to listen to some Traditional/Epic/Power metal from time to time too. 

From what I have gathered reading through this post and other searches it seems the HD25-1 II has better speed and bass than the DT1350. The DT1350 seems to win out on soundstage. I am no bass head by any means but Funeral Doom has a lot of bass in it, but it isnt a thumping bass. A nice soundstage is good for this genre too as it sounds to congested if it isnt spread out. 

I was wondering if anyone here is into or listens to the same music as I do and own either of the 2 or have any incite into what one might be the better choice. It seems sacrifice is going to have to be made. I am just unsure what sacrifice to make.

Thanks for your help and time. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #413 of 452
Perhaps consider the HD25-13, which reaches lower but doesn't thump as hard.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #414 of 452
Quote:
I am thinking of either getting a pair of the HD25-1 II or DT1350. They will be paired with a FiiO e11 and l9 cable to either a iPad or iPhone if this makes a huge difference. 

I listen mainly to metal, but the very slow Funeral Doom and some Doom/Death. Funeral Doom makes up the majority of my listening. I do tend to listen to some Traditional/Epic/Power metal from time to time too. 

From what I have gathered reading through this post and other searches it seems the HD25-1 II has better speed and bass than the DT1350. The DT1350 seems to win out on soundstage. I am no bass head by any means but Funeral Doom has a lot of bass in it, but it isnt a thumping bass. A nice soundstage is good for this genre too as it sounds to congested if it isnt spread out. 

I was wondering if anyone here is into or listens to the same music as I do and own either of the 2 or have any incite into what one might be the better choice. It seems sacrifice is going to have to be made. I am just unsure what sacrifice to make.

Hey there Shadow, I don't listen to Funeral Doom, but then again Black Sabbath is the father of all Doom Metal. I listen to that quite frequently. I listen to technical death metal like Necrophagist, Nile, Aborted, Gojira, Meshuggah and Decapitated (Oh boy! I love them and they're coming to Singapore!), and complicated-sounding progressive metal which can easily sound congested like Dream Theater and Opeth.

I think the HD25-1 II and DT1350's are both equally good. DT1350's for flat, balanced and un-fatiquing sound. HD25-1 II for fast, punchy and forward sound (and more sparkly highs). I gotta tell you I haven't owned any of them yet but I've decided to go for the DT1350's as I think they handle complicated songs better (better soundstage and imaging though instrument layering are slightly better on HD25-1 II, I think). And I am not the kinda guy who like fatiquing punchy mid-bass sound for too long. I'll probably EQ away the mid-bass anyway. Hoped I helped and correct me if I am wrong. I am no audiophile. 
darthsmile.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #415 of 452
Been listening to my HD25 more lately and of course I use the DT1350 a lot of the time.  Both are good but what came to me is the to make the HD25 sound near as good as the DT1350 I have to have sound much higher volume.  Therefore the DT1350 gets the most play since high volume is not something I want to have most of the time.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #416 of 452
T50p's isolation is good, but not as good as HD25-1, unfortunately.  Have you tried improving upon it, Armaegis?  Might a little foam around the earpads work in a fashion similar to what you did to TMA-1?  Without obstructing the adhesive that holds each earpad to the baffle/cup, of course.

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #417 of 452
Quote:

I have both headphones. Personally - for metal, and rock, if i want that slam and punch, I always reach for the HD25-1 II. I love my DT1350 dearly, and they are vastly better for jazz, classical, opera, folk, etc. - They do fall a bit short if I want to be blown away by double guitars and an angry nordic singer.

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #418 of 452
Quote:
T50p's isolation is good, but not as good as HD25-1, unfortunately.  Have you tried improving upon it, Armaegis?  Might a little foam around the earpads work in a fashion similar to what you did to TMA-1?  Without obstructing the adhesive that holds each earpad to the baffle/cup, of course.

I actually found the T50p isolation better than the HD25.  This was with one of the earlier model T50p's though, which apparently has different pads. The pads on the set I had were rounded and took a *lot* of fiddling to get fit just right. 

I've never tried dismantling the T50p or DT1350, and at this point I have neither in my possession. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #419 of 452
Quote:
They do fall a bit short if I want to be blown away by double guitars and an angry nordic singer.

That nearly caused me to need a new PC monitor because it was real close to being covered in Coke!!! 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I have both headphones. Personally - for metal, and rock, if i want that slam and punch, I always reach for the HD25-1 II. I love my DT1350 dearly, and they are vastly better for jazz, classical, opera, folk, etc.

Thanks, I am really leaning towards the HD25-1 II after what you have said and what others have said after reading back through most of this thread. Even though my mind its telling me I want the DT1350's 
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #420 of 452
Quote:
Great to read, thank you.

I like how you describe the DT1350, from all the reviews Ive read about it this is the one I feel gets closer to my impression about it.

Yea me to, I'm thinking of going for the Dt 1350 my self, but I'll be Amping the crap out of it with a Cowon EQ and a E17 xD

I want a new Sub Bass Can that doesn't ruin everything elese like my XB700s, do and I love Amping my dt 880 for Dub Step, so I figured I'd go with the Dt 1350 since it's already a little sub heavy and it's transparent enough that some extra bass UMPH shouldn't kill those nice Mids and Highs... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back