[review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer HDJ-2000, V-Moda M80, Aiaiai TMA-1
Oct 16, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #121 of 452

Quote:
I can't pinpoint the page on which I've seen it, but I've sacrificed my DT 1350 pair for DIY experimentations, as I believe it's got the best driver currently in production for portable headphones. And I can confirm that it has a 30mm or so driver.

Although the size may be small, it has a very, very good bass extension and control - impressive to say the least. Also, if one removes all the damping inside the DT 1350 cup, as well as the side rubber parts and free all the holes on the back of the driver, the DT 1350 becomes extremely dynamic - which shows that really, the driver is something, and that the main reason behind the DT 1350 "flatness" isn't the driver but the damping design.
I've actually listened to the DT 1350 in "open mode" : I put the pads on the two driver plates and brought them to my ears. The result was surprisingly good - as if the drivers were designed to be put in an open headphones.

I see a few reasons why Beyer went for the default damping design inside the DT 1350 - but I really feel it could have been made better with a better cup design. I'm not sure I can improve on what's already in the DT 1350 (after all, I'm no acoustic engineer), but I'm sure a more careful / clever cup design would have improved the sound.

Hey Maya, I'd like to see some pictures as well, Ive seen the insides but never took the driver out of the capsule or removed any damping.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #123 of 452
I'm too busy this evening, but I'll try to do so tomorrow. I'm a little shy about it, I made a mess of it (intentionally though, I wanted to see how far I could go - and I find it a fun project.)

I'm not saying though that I can make it better. Different for sure, and maybe with a bit of luck better. And I don't think I'll have the time to think about it for the next weeks also.

I really was astonished at the quality of the driver in "open mode" - now the deal is just to try to better Beyer's own approach to "closed" cup design.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #125 of 452
Hmm I was planning on picking up the TMAs today but am now leaning towards the m80. However, I heard the quality of the TMAs is much improved with a little EQing. How do the TMAs (EQed) compare sound quality wise to the m80s? Thanks!

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #127 of 452

Quote:

Here's the post as requested. http://www.head-fi.org/t/479768/beyer-t50p-beyerdynamic-announces-the-t50p-portable-tesla-headphones/840#post_7206702

I usually listen to rock, edm, and some classical and jazz.

Between M80 and T50p... it's like a choice between relaxed and edgy, or whether you want isolation. The T50p rocks well, but doesn't have the sub bass response for most edm (assuming your type has that). 

Quote:
I listen to top 40 (pop/hip-hop), classical, and Skrillex

Between M80, DT1350 and HD25...
M80 plays well overall, but doesn't have isolation
HD25 will sound great with Skrillex and have tons of energy, and probably plays best with hiphop, not my first choice for classical but still good
DT1350 is a good all rounder with better isolation and well suited for classical, but may not satisfy for the bassy parts of hiphop and skrillex

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #131 of 452

Quote:
yeah I woulda gone for the pioneer, also for soundstage, but didn't wanna pay that much, and I like the hd25 adidas look, and portability

You'll love the HD25 for portability, I have no doubt. They're so lightweight, not cumbersome at all, built well, isolate well and sound great/versatile. While the Pioneer sounds better in some respects, for me, it got to a point where I only wore them inside because its weight and lack of isolation (nyc subways are ridiculously loud - in other situations the isolation is fine) got in the way of me using them portably. It's different for everyone but that's just my experience. Even though the HD25 has some imperfections, I think it'll always be in my stable of headphones. Just a great all-rounder. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #133 of 452
For impact and your genres, the HD25-1-ii is the easy winner in my books. The M80 would come next, having a strong punch in the snares but not as much in the kicks, and is also much more comfortable but doesn't isolate.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #134 of 452
Well, as you can see from my sig, I have other options to almost all kinds of music, but I need something in my collection that's really good for rock and metal. From my other headphones, what I miss the most is really that bass impact. And from what I've read so far, I think I must really go for the Sennheiser HD 25... I guess I'll be getting the "Adidas originals" version, which I can buy for about the same price as the "normal" version...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
For impact and your genres, the HD25-1-ii is the easy winner in my books. The M80 would come next, having a strong punch in the snares but not as much in the kicks, and is also much more comfortable but doesn't isolate.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #135 of 452
For rock / metal, I preferred the HD-25 over the DT 1350, T50p, and basically any other portable headphones I've tried. Simple as that. On the over hand if the recording is rougher than usual it might get depending on your tolerance a little too harsh and painful to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back