[review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer HDJ-2000, V-Moda M80, Aiaiai TMA-1
Oct 7, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #46 of 452

Quote:
For those wondering, I've got an M80 coming in which should have been here by now. Raguvian was also kind enough to send his TMA-1, which are in the mail now. Assuming CanadaPost doesn't hold onto them for ransom, I'm hoping they arrive sometime next week. *knock on wood*

If worse comes to worse I'll just lend you mine for a day or two so you can get the shootout finished. Speaking of which I best start thinking how I'll present my own review. It's rather intimidating considering I'll be posting my views alongside you and LFF. You guys are known for being quite thorough.

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #47 of 452

Quote:
The instruments I mentioned for each headphone in that post would be the ones I feel were reproduced the most authentically... which generally corresponds to the most pronounced and flat range on that particular headphone.

As long as the frequency response of a headphone is relatively flat within the range of the instrument in question (plus an octave up/down for harmonics), it should sound "right". The Pioneer has great midbass, the DT1350 owns the midrange, the T50p the treble. But nearing the treble area is where it becomes wildly different for people because while the bass and mids are usually heard the same by everyone, treble peaks are highly dependent on the individual ear shape/age/etc. To me, the DT1350 treble is wobbly and sibilant while the T50p is relatively flat, whereas my friend finds the DT1350 much smoother than the T50p.

I'll run through some more focused instrumental listening next time I get some time and make a few more notes. Are there any particular instruments you would like me to listen for?

I'm just going to stick to the "regular" prices for now. The HD25 deals on Amazon have been crazy lately (though several people have also been getting the SP version isntead).

Understandable. Just letting potential buyers know that the HD25 can be had for far cheaper than the "standard" pricing. I actually have both a TMA1 and a HD25 II if anyone is inbetween then and wants a comparison. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #49 of 452

Quote:
The instruments I mentioned for each headphone in that post would be the ones I feel were reproduced the most authentically... which generally corresponds to the most pronounced and flat range on that particular headphone.

As long as the frequency response of a headphone is relatively flat within the range of the instrument in question (plus an octave up/down for harmonics), it should sound "right". The Pioneer has great midbass, the DT1350 owns the midrange, the T50p the treble. But nearing the treble area is where it becomes wildly different for people because while the bass and mids are usually heard the same by everyone, treble peaks are highly dependent on the individual ear shape/age/etc. To me, the DT1350 treble is wobbly and sibilant while the T50p is relatively flat, whereas my friend finds the DT1350 much smoother than the T50p.

I'll run through some more focused instrumental listening next time I get some time and make a few more notes. Are there any particular instruments you would like me to listen for?

Many thanks for the detailed impressions. For me, ever since I had recently gotten the Panasonic HJE900s, what strikes me the most was that even though the frequency range is pretty V-shaped, the imaging and the timbre of drums and strings grabs me the most since it sounds so natural. (probably has to do more with the kind of drivers used and the vents in the iem). There's also very good bass impact. And so combining all that and the imaging I feel like I can reach out and touch the the drum kit behind me. It's awesome and surreal. While of course, not everything is perfect with the iems (some comment on treble being too sibilant for example and mids too recessed although I have no complaints regarding those aspects...which is a first for me because the mids on the HD25 for example, sometimes bothers me when I feel the singer is being drowned out a little - but somehow on the HJE900 everything works).

Before I heard these iems, I was never an iem person and I never thought I could hear such lifelike presentation from a headphone, unless I went up to more high-end gear. So since then, I've been looking for headphones that may have that very similar presentation since it's been the closest to a perfect headphone I've ever come to find. 

Anyway, sorry for my little ramble but I figure I should explain where I'm coming from and if anyone else has heard these Panas they can comment too. If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate if you'd listen for drums, strings, their impact and imaging. Thanks again, Armaegis and can't wait to read more impressions.

Edit: Loving the photos. Great job :)

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #51 of 452
In general, I find that when a section of the frequency response is recessed compared to the range above/below it, the sound is simply just recessed. For the opposite though, when the range is slightly above the surrounding areas, it feels boxy and resonant. Especially so if the elevated range also contains the octave up from the instrument/voice in question; I figure that's the primary harmonic/resonance/thingy and it contributes significantly to the boxiness, 

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #52 of 452
Thanks again Armaegis for one more great review and comparison.
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #53 of 452
Man it's getting tough going back and forth between so many headphones. Maybe I should just get a cheap multi-headphone amp so I can more easily level match and flip quickly between them...

edit: Hmm, so I can get a Behringer HA400 for $22 which isn't too bad. The thing is, the output impedance is 80 ohms... not exactly ideal, especially considering my range of headphones is both above and below that. Hmph, wonder if it's still worthwhile.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #54 of 452

Quote:
Man it's getting tough going back and forth between so many headphones. Maybe I should just get a cheap multi-headphone amp so I can more easily level match and flip quickly between them...

I hate to tell you this Armaegis but this thread has now taken a life of it's own. Expect users messaging you requesting more cans to be added and compared to your starting stable of cans. I think you better message joker for tips on how he does it.
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #56 of 452

Quote:
can you literally feel the bass come out of the hd25s? Like let's say studio beats. I definitely don't care that much about that but it still feels cool ^^ . 

Yes. As far as supraaurals go, the HD25 are quite good at providing a physical bass impact. I personally find the circumaurals are better at that visceral feeling since they can tickle the earlobes, but that's just me.

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #57 of 452
Great review! Very close impression I have for HD25 and DT1350. Didn't hear any other phones mentioned in this review. Would be great to include which genre they are best for.

Have you tried swapping D10 buffer for AD742? May help some bass issues in DT1350. However if you use that configuration with bassy phones its a nono ~~

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #58 of 452
Nice review! Thanks Armaegis

I think HD25-13 is my cup of tea, instead of DT1350 (DT1350 is also quite expensive in the Europe)

BTW my friend got a pair of V-moda Crossfade LP, IMO which is a "softened" Beats Solo in terms of sound 
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #59 of 452

Quote:
Understandable. Just letting potential buyers know that the HD25 can be had for far cheaper than the "standard" pricing. I actually have both a TMA1 and a HD25 II if anyone is inbetween then and wants a comparison. 

What do you mean? How can the HD25's be had for far cheaper than "standard" pricing, and what is "standard" pricing - the price on Amazon?

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #60 of 452

Quote:
Great review! Very close impression I have for HD25 and DT1350. Didn't hear any other phones mentioned in this review. Would be great to include which genre they are best for.

Have you tried swapping D10 buffer for AD742? May help some bass issues in DT1350. However if you use that configuration with bassy phones its a nono ~~

I don't think I have the AD742... but in my experience, changing opamps (or rather amps in general) does not alter the fundamental sound of the headphone, assuming the amps used were of sufficient power and similar output impedance..

Quote:
Nice review! Thanks Armaegis

I think HD25-13 is my cup of tea, instead of DT1350 (DT1350 is also quite expensive in the Europe)

BTW my friend got a pair of V-moda Crossfade LP, IMO which is a "softened" Beats Solo in terms of sound 
frown.gif

I noticed the Crossfades were on sale at Amazon... but sadly not available for us Canadians...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back