[review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer HDJ-2000, V-Moda M80, Aiaiai TMA-1
Oct 27, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #181 of 452
So you mentioned the bass on the modded HDJ-2000s is comparable to D2000s...Are you saying they reach as low as the Denons? How well do they do in movies? I know it's a weird question considering they're DJ headphones after all. Nonetheless...

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #182 of 452
I never compared them back to back, but I would say the Denon reaches a tad deeper. Really though, does it make any difference? So what if the Pioneer rolls off below 30Hz and the Denon reaches 25Hz?

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #183 of 452
it doesn't matter, just needed a sub-bass confirmation lol. I'm just surprised they have bass about as good as D2000s. Very nice. How well do they do in movies btw? even if I doubt you'd try them for that purpose. Just curious since no one ever talks about movies with DJ cans but since they have comparable bass to D2000, decent soundstage, good mids, midbass and detail...

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #184 of 452
While I haven't watched a full length movie with them, I've probably watched enough trailers to constitute several full length movies 
rolleyes.gif
 Overall performance is good, plenty of rumble for all the explodey bits. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #185 of 452

Quote:
Has any M80 owner tried out the 1/8 to 1/4" adapter that comes with it? I was trying to do some A/B earlier and when I plugged it into one of my SoundDevices HX-3's 1/4" jacks, they sounded HORRIBLE. Unlistenable. Changing cables didn't help. But when I used the adapter on my HD25-1 II, they sounded fine. Any ideas on why this might be?

[UPDATE] Seems like it might be the amp? I just tried using the adapter that the HD25-1 II came with on the M80 and same result. But plugging the M80 right into the HX-3's sole 1/8" jack doesn't raise the issue.

I tried the adapter just now and had no problems. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #186 of 452
Huh, bizarre. Wonder what the issue might be. With the HX-3 a giant chunk of the mids just drops out. On some songs the vocals are completely gone because of it.

Quote:

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #187 of 452
Wow this is pretty nuts. I just did some more testing and it's because of the remote/controls. If I hold down the play button using either the 1 or 3 button cable, the sound comes back in full. But once I let go, sound drops all over the place. And it's not just because of the amp. I plugged it into my regular stereo receiver downstairs and it does the same thing. I'm guessing I got a dud? Or is there something special I need to do when using the adapter that I missed?

Quote:

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #188 of 452
Look at the cable coming from the remote - is it a basic stereo (two insulation rings) - or does it have three rings (TRRS)?  

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #190 of 452
     Quote:
Look at the cable coming from the remote - is it a basic stereo (two insulation rings) - or does it have three rings (TRRS)?  

Huh, I guess I'm supposed to reverse the direction that the cables plug in when using the adapter? The straight plug closest to the remote is 2 rings while the angled plug at the other end is 3. I've been plugging the straight plug into the headphone and the angled end into the source.

I just tried putting the adapter on the remote side (2 ring) and the angled plug into the headphone and it works fine now.

Sorry if this was common knowledge. I never tried using a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter before. =)

Quote:
Sounds like you have a faulty cable; possibly a short somewhere?

Nah, see above. Although I would find it hard to believe that both cables that it came with had a short. =)

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #191 of 452
I had it the other way (TRS into headphone, TRRS into source) with the adapter and it worked fine for me...

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #192 of 452
I don't know that normally you would need to reverse them - but some TRS jacks don't play nicely with TRRS plugs - so it could just be your specific piece of equipment needs that detail looked to. 

Personally - remotes, mics, etc. are the first place I look if someone is having sound issues - the connectors and electronics are usually fairly low quality and assembled cheaply - so it's a good thing to rule out early. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #193 of 452
Huh, intriguing. Don't know what the difference may be then. =\

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #194 of 452

Quote:
While I haven't watched a full length movie with them, I've probably watched enough trailers to constitute several full length movies 
rolleyes.gif
 Overall performance is good, plenty of rumble for all the explodey bits. 

Awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on em now and perform this mod asap.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #195 of 452
The biggest differences were the lumps of blutack in the hinge recesses and felt, after that it would be the ring of peel'n'seal around front baffle. Oh right, and the piece of porous tape over the bass vents. 

I look forward to hearing about it; I don't know anyone else who has tried the mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back