[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Oct 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #3,842 of 7,021
Dunno about other ASG2 and pairing out there, but I'm enjoying my classicals immensely with my asg-2 on dx50.  I agree it is non flat and non ER4S, but can't agree it is non hifi as it is transparent enough as a window into the music I'm listening to.  I was critical of the ASG2 with my original pair, but it came back much better after the reshell and probably some tuning by Dale and team, which I also understand is apply to the current production.

Bottomline, for those who is considering this IEM, listen a recent batch demo with your ears and decide if it's good or not.   That, or look at some graph and read some words by your eyes and miss out on something that you might actually like.  

Interesting. I remember you were one of the people to mention the G-2's highs leading to timbral issues with classical music. I know Dale mentioned that he learned a lot when touring the Asian market which tends to prefer a much different tuning (for pop, female vocal, classical etc.). I wonder if your G-2 might be one of the first to employ an early, prototypical tuning of what Eke's been alluding to. Do you still have the same trebles issues with your new G-2?

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3,843 of 7,021
Also, Carlsan has given his blessing to send the Cardas and FA-4 to vwinter and shotgunshane. When I ship on Monday, v should have them by Wednesday.

I received the Cardas and FA-4 today.

The cardas cable isn't as bad as I thought after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth I've read over it. It is annoying though below the Y split. The pouch is hilarious. It's like trying to squeeze a fat man into an XS wife beater. You can make it fit but why?

Regarding sound: the bass is very nice- bold and rich. The middle and lower mid are nice too but then it all goes downhill after that... literally. Upper mid sounds pretty scooped out and I'm left wondering, "where the treble at?" If these had any kind of upper mid and treble presence, they might be very pleasing. As it stands now, only bass heads need apply. Now off to create an EQ.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #3,846 of 7,021
Cool the fa 4e are always the last one, hope you like them

Try some comply tips if you don't like the sound of the silicone tips, i rather prefer the foams with them except than with my custom tips which make them sound glorious

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #3,847 of 7,021
I received the Cardas and FA-4 today.

The cardas cable isn't as bad as I thought after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth I've read over it. It is annoying though below the Y split. The pouch is hilarious. It's like trying to squeeze a fat man into an XS wife beater. You can make it fit but why?

Regarding sound: the bass is very nice- bold and rich. The middle and lower mid are nice too but then it all goes downhill after that... literally. Upper mid sounds pretty scooped out and I'm left wondering, "where the treble at?" If these had any kind of upper mid and treble presence, they might be very pleasing. As it stands now, only bass heads need apply. Now off to create an EQ.

Have you listened to the Cardas amped? I agree there's no EX1000-like pieces of glass in my ears treble in the Cardas, but it's there. I wonder why these sound so wonderful to me and not some others (although we agree on the sound of other earphones)? Hmmm? Oh well.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #3,849 of 7,021
  Have you listened to the Cardas amped? I agree there's no EX1000-like pieces of glass in my ears treble in the Cardas, but it's there. I wonder why these sound so wonderful to me and not some others (although we agree on the sound of other earphones)? Hmmm? Oh well.

They sounded good to my ears as well. But I did use them off of my Burson amp at home. Don't remember if I used them with my X3.

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #3,852 of 7,021
Interesting. I remember you were one of the people to mention the G-2's highs leading to timbral issues with classical music. I know Dale mentioned that he learned a lot when touring the Asian market which tends to prefer a much different tuning (for pop, female vocal, classical etc.). I wonder if your G-2 might be one of the first to employ an early, prototypical tuning of what Eke's been alluding to. Do you still have the same trebles issues with your new G-2?

Yes, I was not happy with the treble which was harsh and metallic with my original pair. I managed to meet Dale when he was in Hong Kong and discussed more with him 're tuning and DAP pairing etc. I also know he and Gavin (of Tralucent) had a sit down session and probably compared some notes, among other enthusiasts and industry members. Since there was some issues with my custom plating, Dale took mine back to re-plate it, and apply some of the tuning/mod I believe they had since developed after the initial batches and based on my specific feedback.

I am happy it came back with the treble fixed. I also like how it punches deeper in the subbass with a reduced midbass hump. Highly enjoyable and very comfortable to wear, and definitely look the best amongst my iems.

At $550 for the base version it is the same price as the 3DD universal and I would rate the asg2 MUCH higher and represent excellent value.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #3,853 of 7,021
kkcc, what IEMs are these?

as regards your ASG2 i pray Dale implements these improvements in all ASG2 so i can get a better copy too 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back