REVIEW: 5 sub-$150 sealed headphone compared
Jul 28, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #31 of 159
His HD25s are recabled, and according to the forum, it makes a huge difference since the stock cable is supposedly steel wiring. I've never heard a recabled HD25, so I can't comment about that.

Jul 28, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #32 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His HD25s are recabled, and according to the forum, it makes a huge difference since the stock cable is supposedly steel wiring. I've never heard a recabled HD25, so I can't comment about that.

oh durr, i skipped right over it in the review (im sure a lot of people will). It should probably be emphasized in bold just to make it fair.

Jul 28, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #33 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone.

Digihead, the HD25's aren't Super-uncomfortable, but they are nowhere near an comfortable as a circum-aural can IMO. I can wear them for about 2-3 hours before my ears start to hurt.

I bought my ES7s under the impression that they are circumaural as stated in many places such as:
http://headphonereviews.org/headphon...eadphoneId=283

After getting the ES7s they don't seem to be circumaural as I understand the description...i.e. they don't fit entirely around my ears. Any idea why they are listed as circumaural all over the place?

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #34 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. Thinking I might go for the Denon AH-D1000, but is the isolation really poor? I previously owned the AKG K81DJ and I was happy with the isolation. Is the Denon model far, far worse than the AKG for isolation, or could I live with it?

I think I'd be happy with the Denon's in every other department.

The Denons basically don't isolate from outside sounds. Sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had almost all the headphones in the review and strangely, my opinions differ somewhat. Btw, Skylab... Didn't you say your senns were modified?

Yep, my Senns have Headphile cable as has been pointed out, and yeah, it makes a big difference sonically. I wish I had the stock cable to use to compare, but I threw it out a long time ago.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by msweeney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my ES7s under the impression that they are circumaural as stated in many places such as:

After getting the ES7s they don't seem to be circumaural as I understand the description...i.e. they don't fit entirely around my ears. Any idea why they are listed as circumaural all over the place?

Advertising ES7's as circumaural would be deceptive at best
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #35 of 159
Hey Skylab! Thanks for the comparo write-up! I've been looking for a set of headphones in this range as select gifts (haven't been really happy with anything previously in this range). This has been really helpful. Based on your writeup, I'm looking forward to trying out the D1000's myself to see if it'll fit the bill. Cheers!

Jul 29, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #37 of 159
Just what I needed, thanks Skylab!

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #38 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by WiseOx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fantastic review....might force me to upgrade from the ES7's.......eventually.

If you are happy with them don't upgrade just because a review says they aren't the best. It's much cheaper that way
icon10.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #40 of 159
Mmm... Perhaps I should sell my UM1's and go for some RP-21's...

Do you think the RP-21's sound as good or better than the Allesandro MS1's? How far off are they?

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #41 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by msweeney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They're circumaural for people who have small ears, like me.
icon10.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #42 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can vouch for this, I think AT's treble is really set to that. Sometimes I cannot handle the treble of my A700s because I cannot stand it sometimes, it feels like it's piercing my ear drum.

Too bad the D1000 cannot isolate well enough, I might be looking into the RP21s now...is it that bad? I have my A700s and it's terrible whenever I take it for my bus rides (or commuting). I can hear outside noise like I have some open cans on.

The AT signature varies dramatically. Unless you've heard the ES7's, you can't comment on their sound.

I have a pair and I think the treble energy is normal.

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #43 of 159
Yus. I found a GREAT RP21 vs MS1 thread. I think I may be selling my UM1's and buying the RP21's. Hopefully they isolate enough...

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #44 of 159
question: Do any of you think D1000 would be worth the extra ~$25 over the RP21? I read the review and noticed isolation is the biggest weakness that D1000 has but isolation doesn't mean anything to me because they will only be for home use for me. I already ordered the RP21 but they haven't been shipped out and prolly won't be soon so I can cancel them in the next 2-3 days if the D1000 is worth the extra. I looked at a bunch of places. Can't seem to find a D1000 that is within my ~$100 range but we will see. Let me know anyways!

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #45 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question: Do any of you think D1000 would be worth the extra ~$25 over the RP21? I read the review and noticed isolation is the biggest weakness that D1000 has but isolation doesn't mean anything to me because they will only be for home use for me. I already ordered the RP21 but they haven't been shipped out and prolly won't be soon so I can cancel them in the next 2-3 days if the D1000 is worth the extra. I looked at a bunch of places. Can't seem to find a D1000 that is within my ~$100 range but we will see. Let me know anyways!

If you look for deals the D1000 isn't even 25 more than the RP-21's. I got mine for a really cheap price new i box. The RP-21's have more bass quantity (not by much), and much more isolation. The Denon's have much smoother mids, much better sounding treble, and they are MUCH more comfortable than the RP-21's. It's really all up to preference though. I would cancel the RP21's and get the D1000's :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back