REVIEW: 5 sub-$150 sealed headphone compared
Jul 27, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #16 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review, it inches me closer to the HD25. Really too bad that the D1000 does not isolate
frown.gif
To be fair, the HD25 is not sub $150, especially after adding the Blackmax cable!

Indeed, the HD25-1 is the "reference" here, not in same price class as the rest, you are right. I should have made that more clear.

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #17 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. No one ever mentioned RP21's chalky signature, before. Good to know.

Actually, the RP-21's highs have been criticized multiple times in the Equation Audio threads.

Skylab, great review! I've read that the stock HD-25 cable tends towards treble harshness...but the Blackmax cable seems to clear that up completely, no?

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #18 of 159
Excellent review. Not done with it yet but so far very good.

now what's next for you to review? DAPs?

Jul 27, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #19 of 159
Awesome review skylab. I feel reassured in my decision to buy the "RP-21s" from the descriptions you gave. They work perfectly for what I use them for. I'm still really liking the look of the "Denon" phones though. I may pick up the "2000s" sometime in the future.

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #24 of 159
Thanks for the work Skylab! It's very much appreciated. The bass ranking of the RP-21 really surprised me. Coming from a well known basshead, that means alot for the bass of the RP-21. I was under the impression that it has some quantity, but it's more of a reference headphone type. This ranking seems to have changed that for me, as from different reviews the D1000 seems to have come up as having the advantage in that area.

That just goes to show that head to head is way different than reading reviews from different people and trying to glue together a perspective.

Great work!

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #25 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but no Beyer 770?

Joining team bass-head?
biggrin.gif
I asked in his first thread (the anticipation thread that went 8 pages long). He didn't want to include it since he felt that was not the price.

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #26 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joining team bass-head?
biggrin.gif

dude, the Beyer 990/600's are my first pair of good phones
wink.gif
been on the team since day one, just didn't know it........Kind of like I was doomed to be a basshead from the get-go....
blink.gif
basshead.gif
cool.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #27 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice job as always Skylab. When you get done with this, are you going to move up the food chain and review others?

Thanks! I have already done a comparo of the DX1000/D5000/D2000/Darth Beyers/Darth Denons, so no, probably not going to revisit that area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review!

but no Beyer 770? I thought they are around $140 these day......

The DT770 is out of this price range. The DT770 (2005) is better sounding than any of these cans IMO, And is on par with the RP21 in terms of isolation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, were the RP21 you use defoamed?

I tried them both ways, and de-foaming helps, but the treble is still problematic.

Jul 28, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #29 of 159
Thanks for the review. Thinking I might go for the Denon AH-D1000, but is the isolation really poor? I previously owned the AKG K81DJ and I was happy with the isolation. Is the Denon model far, far worse than the AKG for isolation, or could I live with it?

I think I'd be happy with the Denon's in every other department.

Jul 28, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #30 of 159
Very good review.

I didn't really care for stock hd25-1. Too dark sounding. My opinion is that there's no way a stock hd25-1 beats RP-21 by that much. All ears are different though. I'd say they're at least equal, with subjective preference tipping the scale one way or the other.

Also, as far as comfort, instead of:

4. HD25
5. ES7
6. K81DJ

I'd make it:

4. ES7 - Only very slight discomfort on my head with extended use.
5. HD25 - Clamp hard and can't be adjusted.
6. K81DJ (at first) BUT actually, they're extremely comfortable once loosened. They use spring steal so you can bend them to your level of comfort. I would rank them better than BOTH the es7 and HD25 since you can loosen them up and with the others it's much more difficult.

I have had almost all the headphones in the review and strangely, my opinions differ somewhat. Btw, Skylab... Didn't you say your senns were modified?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back