Requesting advice for $100-200 full-size cans
Feb 3, 2011 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

auralmania

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I've been "lurker" for quite a while and have been simply spell-bound by the wealth of knowledge and experience of most of the members here. Thanks to Head-fi I got myself a pair of RE-0 IEMs that I absolutely love. However, my gf lost the splendid beauties along with my Fiio amp and thus here I am.

I would really appreciate some advice as I've suffered from a bit of information overload. If I could get some help with a list of a few headphones that would suit my requirements, that would be awesome.

My requirements:

1) Am not a bass-head, but I do love a tight deep-throated response.

2) I listen to all sorts of music, but predominantly interested in something that has pretty decent mids and highs (without the sibilance)

3) Soundstage with good perceived spatial separation.

4) Comfortable  (my HD212pro were quite uncomfortable when worn for extended durations).

Cheers!

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 9
Open or closed?

Assuming closed and that you like the RE0s you are looking for something balanced on the neutral to on bright side. That's hard to achieve at that price. i spent ages a few years ago looking for that, a closed equivalent to my ER-4S.

The thread on the Fischer F-003 has caught my interest although it does smack of FOTM exageration.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 9
Okay!  Here are some suggestions for ya:

AKG K 240 Studio/MKII

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Beyerdynamic DT 440, DT 660

Denon AH-D1100

Sennheiser HD 438, HD 448

Shure SRH840

Ultrasone HFi-580

Now, these are all easily driven by portable sources(so an amp is not necessary) and are well regarded within the Head-fi community.  Any one of them is an excellent first foray into high-end full-size headphones.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks a lot mate! 

Most of these (except for the senns) are way over my budget at present (~$250 mark in Australian stores; headphones.com.au and ebay). Perhaps, I should save up a bit more and go for one in the list, or will I be able to find it elsewhere for cheaper?

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 9

[size=medium]
**browsing at headphones.com.au**

Ouch! The prices for consumer ed DT770 = A$549?  That's ridiculous. 

You could try amazon to get the ATH-M50s. It's selling at US$150, which is more reasonable than the website you provided. No idea if Amazon will ship down-under though.
[/size]

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 9
Ah, didn't realize you're in Australia(should've paid attention to your location).  So, here's a revised suggestion list for ya:

Audio-Technica ATH-A500, AD500, A700

Beyerdynamic DTX 900, DTX 910

Denon AH-D501k, D510

Grado SR80i

Sennheiser HD 438, HD 448

Shure SRH 440

Ultrasone HFi 450

These headphones should be more in your price range.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks a lot mate. Just a quick clarification, are the headphones listed in your first post significantly better than the ones listed in your post above? If they are, then I'd rather save up and buy a better pair. :)

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Thanks a lot mate. Just a quick clarification, are the headphones listed in your first post significantly better than the ones listed in your post above? If they are, then I'd rather save up and buy a better pair. :)

I'm strongly guessing that they are, because the ones in the above list are higher-up pairs in the companies respective lines. 

For your needs, and from what I've tried, I'd go for the M50's, if you can afford them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back