Replacement for Grado SR325is?
Nov 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

OctaneTwisted

New Head-Fier
I've had my sr325is for a few months now (my first real pair of headphones) and I was very impressed from the moment I put them on, and even now while I'm typing. The quality and clarity is a large step-up from all of the other $30 in-ears and a pair or sr60i's I'd had previously, but the problem is that, personally, they're uncomfortable. I'm looking for an over the ear pair of headphones in the same (+/-)$300 range that will deliver the same, or higher, level of quality with more comfort. Honestly, I'd prefer a closed pair for a little noise isolation, but I don't want to lose any sound quality, and from what I've heard open headphones have a little more clarity and aren't as muffled.

If it helps, I listen to a fairly large span of genres. Though I tend to lean towards metal (Opeth, Enslaved, etc.) and Older/Progressive rock (Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, etc.). And I also use a NuForce UDAC 2 amp.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
I've had my sr325is for a few months now (my first real pair of headphones) and I was very impressed from the moment I put them on, and even now while I'm typing. The quality and clarity is a large step-up from all of the other $30 in-ears and a pair or sr60i's I'd had previously, but the problem is that, personally, they're uncomfortable. I'm looking for an over the ear pair of headphones in the same (+/-)$300 range that will deliver the same, or higher, level of quality with more comfort. Honestly, I'd prefer a closed pair for a little noise isolation, but I don't want to lose any sound quality, and from what I've heard open headphones have a little more clarity and aren't as muffled.
If it helps, I listen to a fairly large span of genres. Though I tend to lean towards metal (Opeth, Enslaved, etc.) and Older/Progressive rock (Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, etc.). And I also use a NuForce UDAC 2 amp.

Heya,

Look into:

Open:

Beyer DT880 PRO
Sennheiser HD598
AudioTechnica AD900
AKG Q701
Hifiman HE-300 revision 2

Closed:

Mr Speakers Mad Dogs (T50RP)
Beyer DT770 PRO
AudioTechnica A900X
Shure SRH840 (with SRH940 velour pads)
AKG K550
AKG K167
Sony MDR1R
Denon D2000 (used)

Very best,

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 8
From what I've read about the Mad Dogs, they are excellent headphones for their price (almost too good to be true). Would you be able to put your two-cents in on those? I'm just finding it hard to compare all these different headphones, because most, it not all of them have stellar reviews. The mad dogs just stood out when I saw them compared to the $1000 audeze lcd-2's that also happen to have an open design.
And would my UDAC2 even be able to drive them?

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Hi,

I have the Sr 325 is  and several similarly priced phones.

I would look first at the Sennheiser HD 600.

It actually has superior sound over- all to my ears, and I like the Grado a lot, especially the mid range.
The Grado has a less than neutral sound signature, with an exaggerated mid treble. The 325 also " shouts " into the ear, dynamic shifts can be bordering on painful.  

I have the HD 600 and the AKG 702, ( identical except for the name badge on the outside ) to the AKG Q 701. These ( 702) have a slightly exaggerated lower treble, but not so much as the 325 is.
However there is a certain lack of upper bass, lower mids, in some recordings. So the may sound " thin " on metal, rock etc. The HD600 is well filled out in the upper bass, lower mids, without
being as dark as the HD 650. The HD600 has tight bass if played through a low impedance source. The 600 does not have quite the lower bass extension or quickness of the 325 is, or the 702( 701, Q 701, all the same ), however is not far behind, and superior in mid and upper bass. The AKG's require a lot of juice to drive them, far more than the Grado or the Sen, I have found that some amps can't
deal with them, don't know about a Nuforce.

You really can't go far wrong with an HD 600, best all rounder in this price range., it can do all genres well. Very neutral freq response to my ears.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 8
The thing is, I really like open headphones, but they are an inconvenience to me because I'm not able to get very much quiet time to fully enjoy them. For example, I was on a bus today and I could hear some kid listening to his music with his iPhone earbuds at the same time I was l listening to my Grados. With that and all the conversations going on around me, I was barely able to pay attention to my music, much less fully enjoy it. That's why I was saying I'd prefer to try a closed design, as long as I'm not sacrificing any sound quality for the isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back