Rediscovering the AKG K701!
Oct 25, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #47 of 83

Quote:

I'm not sure why you'd assume that. Cables make a difference in hi-fi, at least in my house they do. If you mean they might not make the sound quantifiably better you might have a point but they surely can add "flavour" to the sound which, depending on the listeners taste, might be perceived as beneficial.

Hi

This is discussed in great detail in other threads. If you wish to know my thoughts on this you will find them in those threads. I don't wish to start a "cables" discussion here so I will leave it at that.

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #48 of 83
Quote:
I'm not sure why you'd assume that. Cables make a difference in hi-fi, at least in my house they do. If you mean they might not make the sound quantifiably better you might have a point but they surely can add "flavour" to the sound which, depending on the listeners taste, might be perceived as beneficial.

Agree. One more vote for "cables do matter"
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #50 of 83
I have done so, extensively, many moons ago. I used to work in a hi-fi shop and we'd stay late into the evening listening to different set-ups. I always found differences fairly easy to spot. Whether my now older lugs would spot those same differences is another matter and saying one cable is better is purely subjective, but the differences do exist. And you're correct, this isn't the place for this discussion.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #51 of 83
Sometimes I wonder if the K701 is the end to my (admittedly short) audio journey, or if I can find something better. I LOVE the strengths of the K701 - the detail, the soundstage, the not-laid-back-but-not-overly-aggressive presentation, and the earpad comfort. However, I'm also keenly aware of the drawbacks - the lack of bass (especially when I switch from my X540s [which are not high quality by any means, but still... subwoofer]), and the discomfort omg omg omg. I'm only slightly bothered by the headband bumps after a few hours, but I had to ghettorig the adjustment system so that it could be large enough to fit my head. Sometimes I wonder, with the way I did it, if it's good for the headband... it certainly doesn't look nice.

Anyway, my primary concern is the comfort and presentation of the headphone. I've been looking into Audio-Technicas and Beyers, although I'm not completely sure if I'd get what I want. I really like AD700s, but there the bass is also lacking; I'm not sure if I'd like the Beyer mids, after being spoiled on Grado and AKG mids. As such, I've been extremely hesitant about where I should move next... I don't have enough liquid money to keep two headphones at the same time, so I know I'd have to get rid of the K701s if I found something I liked more. But I'd also feel dumb buying a pair of headphones, then selling them so quickly because I like ethe K701 more. Doh!

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #53 of 83
I must admit...the K701 demand more current delivery to bring the best out of them than I though was necessary.  I am using a resistor network from my tube integrated amp and wow did they move up a notch in performance. 

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #54 of 83

Quote:
I must admit...the K701 demand more current delivery to bring the best out of them than I though was necessary.  I am using a resistor network from my tube integrated amp and wow did they move up a notch in performance. 

In my experience some of the Bottlehead tube amp's can drive them both, the K-1000, and the K-702. BTW, with tubes is more easy to drive the Senn compare to the AKG's

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #55 of 83
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Q701Premium-Reference-Headphones-Signature/dp/B004444O3W/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1288123638&sr=8-15

Just saw these up for pre-orders on Amazon. Is it the same thing? They look freaking sexy.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #56 of 83
Pretty much.  They are over priced (for what the average K701/K702's goes for now days (not MSRP)), meh looking paint job, with a famous name tagged on to them, but they should sound the same.  I far perfer the look of my K701 [the K702 has a nice look as well].

I recently aquired a pair of K271's.  Nothing like a new pair of headphone to reinforce what you like about your favorite pair [K701's].  I can see the downsides and upsides of the K701, but there is a lot more upside to them.  So much upside, I'm not sure if I can ever part with them.

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #57 of 83
I've been using my K 702 for about a year now, and they were my first serious headphone purchase. I find that the bass is just right, with tremendous sound staging and a nicely balanced treble. I tried the Sennheiser HD800 and I was very impressed, but I could not afford them at the time. When I first started with the AKG's, I was using my Sony Reciever's headphone jack. But after reading many Head-Fi posts about headphone amps, I started researching online for a good match. I found it with the Schiit Audio Amps, the Asgard and the Vahalla. I now use both and they sound great with the 702. However, I'm still thinking about the HD800.

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #58 of 83
Try an Ortho. I still enjoy the 701 but not like I did after spending time with the LCD-2/Ref 7 in my music collection.   I think the Ortho sound may be my compromise between dynamic impact and electrostatic accuracy.

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #59 of 83

Quote:
I've been using my K 702 for about a year now, and they were my first serious headphone purchase. I find that the bass is just right, with tremendous sound staging and a nicely balanced treble. I tried the Sennheiser HD800 and I was very impressed, but I could not afford them at the time. When I first started with the AKG's, I was using my Sony Reciever's headphone jack. But after reading many Head-Fi posts about headphone amps, I started researching online for a good match. I found it with the Schiit Audio Amps, the Asgard and the Vahalla. I now use both and they sound great with the 702. However, I'm still thinking about the HD800.

I don't have this problem, after I've compared the two the K-702 sounds just right. The treble on the 800 was to hot for me, on tube amp the 800's are more fun but far from to be accurate hps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back