Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Mar 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #766 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is the fact that the 225s pad isn't "on" your ear, but around it, like most cans. I have a pair of DT880s and the pads/overall comfort of those are amazing.

Question: How easy would it be to replace pads on the 225s? Note that I am not much of a DIYer.

A blind person could do it no sweat (no insults.)
Pull them off (gently) and that's you done
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #768 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have my eyesight, so that is good!

What is the main difference between the 225 and the 225i?

$20 and a lot of mumbo-jumbo (like drivers improvements, better grounding posts and wiring...)
the labeling on the headphone itself is the same.
the labeling on the boxes has changed.

when my gs1000i arrives, i tell you if they sound any different over the gs1000....

paul

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #769 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the wood need looking after? (Like polishing with wax and that)?

i guess that depends somewhat on location and frequency of use.

here, in new york, the winter is very dry and if you don't use leather headbands and lambskin earpads like those on the audio technica 9's often, your facial oils won't be lubricating those surfaces. in such case, a damp cotton cloth should do it.

if you wear it daily and it gets too oily, i usually wipe it with a dry cotton cloth. that's about it.

i advise against using any wax products on the wood as you'll be smelling that chemical everytime you wear it.
there is a fine italian liquor on it, so any wax you use sits on there for days.
so, no need for it..

paul

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #771 of 1,076
hey guys,

I have a pair of phonak pfe's and I really like their sound sig. I'm curious what pair of full-size under 200usd have the best clarity, most balanced sound, without an amp? I have used the search this thread function but didn't come up with anything definitive.

I thought the grado sr80 were close, but I didn't find them to be very comfortable. I'd prefer around-ear, closed can

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #773 of 1,076
I got the Sony MDR-V6 cans today and am very impressed by their sound and build quality. I can easily imagine them being the king of the sub $100 hill. For $70, I have no complaints.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #775 of 1,076
I owned many different models of headphones - all Grados from SR-60 to SR-325, Alessandro Music Series MS-1 and MS-2, several Sennheiser models including Sennheiser HD-280 and HD-650, several MB Quart and German Maestro models, Audi-Technica AT-M40, Roland RH-300 (probably the best of all of them). None satisfied me like Koss headphones, however, so I sold all of them. I own several pairs of Koss headphones now, one with no model number that sounds nothing less than sublime. I would like to recommended Koss MV-1. They have gorgeous, non-fatiguing sound, very organic yet dynamic. The instrument textures sound full, rich and natural. The headphones are not lightweight but very comfortable. I realize that Koss headphones are generally reviled by audiophiles and headphone "gurus". If you are new to headphone listening, however, I would like to point out that their statements are nothing more than their "party line", their subjective preferences and opinions. Always listen and decide for yourself.

Also, Koss has a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty, and several models (like MV-1 and Pro-4AAAT) are still made here in the USA, not China.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #776 of 1,076
I'm using a ipod 6g + iqube combo, and I find that rock/metal songs sound better on the livewires than on the esw9..

I listen to all kinds of rock, metal, electronic, pop and some hiphop, can someone recommend me full sized headphones that can be well driven by the iqube? Much thanks!

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #778 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlekino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned many different models of headphones - all Grados from SR-60 to SR-325, Alessandro Music Series MS-1 and MS-2, several Sennheiser models including Sennheiser HD-280 and HD-650, several MB Quart and German Maestro models, Audi-Technica AT-M40, Roland RH-300 (probably the best of all of them). None satisfied me like Koss headphones, however, so I sold all of them. I own several pairs of Koss headphones now, one with no model number that sounds nothing less than sublime. I would like to recommended Koss MV-1. They have gorgeous, non-fatiguing sound, very organic yet dynamic. The instrument textures sound full, rich and natural. The headphones are not lightweight but very comfortable. I realize that Koss headphones are generally reviled by audiophiles and headphone "gurus". If you are new to headphone listening, however, I would like to point out that their statements are nothing more than their "party line", their subjective preferences and opinions. Always listen and decide for yourself.

Also, Koss has a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty, and several models (like MV-1 and Pro-4AAAT) are still made here in the USA, not China.

The MV1 looks great. I won't run out for them just yet, but they're on my radar. Thanks.

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #779 of 1,076
I can officially recommend the Sony MDVR V6's as a top headphone under a 100 bucks. Great and they appear to be decently balanced, doesnt really overdue anything except mybe some harsh highs, seems to have smoothed out a bit after some break in. A very detailed headphone.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #780 of 1,076
I still like my Porta-Pros as headphones under $100, followed closely by my Senn PX100, although I know many people that enjoy the PX100 more than the Porta-Pro's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back