Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Dec 12, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #661 of 1,076
I've had a couple phones in my time Grado 125's, HD650's, Audio Technical ES7's and ANC7's and now Beyer Dynamic DT 770 80 Pro's.
I became a bass head (read full range in to that) from listening to big 15" Tannoy dual cone speakers (big cabinets like in motorsport, no substitute for cubic inches)...
Anyway the Beyers rock for around £100. They are not perhaps as accurate or detailed as some of the others they just sound nice and you get the right amount of bass out of them for my ears.
They block out sound pretty well and do not leak much at all. Both very important to me.

I have 2 amps, Little Dot 2+, G&W J1 (heavily modded) in different rooms and have tried a Graham Slee solo for a whole weekend on the HD-650's.

The J1 is a cracking little amp IMO and easily drives all of the above phones - modified is is very good indeed.

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #662 of 1,076
Alright, I'm a noob as well, and looking for advice.

So I've heard a lot of good things about the Denon 1001's and the AT ES7's. How do those compare with the M-Audio Q40's? I'm listening mostly to classical, rap, techno, and rock, so looking for something that's pretty balanced.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #663 of 1,076
I'm new to these forums and I'm not quite sure if this is the right place for this but I'm looking for some help/advice on my next big headphone/amp purchases.

I'm a proud owner of the Grados SR60s and the Sure SE210s. While both of these are great in their own right I'm now looking to move up to the next level. What I love about the SR60's is they have a really great, warm and natural sound and they are absolutely amazing with guitars and rock music. With the right music it can easily sound like the instruments are right there in front of you! The SE210's seem to be more crisp and detailed in the highs although I have had problems with audible "buzzing" in the peaks with some songs (not sure if this is a problem with bitrate, but nearly all of my mp3s are at least 192kbps.) I'm not using any amps at the moment. I really love the sound of the SR60's but I'm currently looking for something with a little bit "fuller" sound.

I listen to pretty much every genre of music imaginable so I'd like something that's well rounded and balanced with full bass, strong, clear mid range, and detailed highs. It's hard to really nail down a price range right now, I guess I'm more concerned with just getting value out of how ever much money I end up spending. I love my SR60s so much that I have to consider the SR-325i's. I've heard great things about the HD600s and HD650s but the price of those coupled with a nice amp starts to get pretty high.

I'm willing to spend up to $500 for a set of cans and an amp combined. What would be the best value in terms of overall great balanced sound and longevity? I really dont know much at all about amps so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! (oh and feel free to IM me on aim!)

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #665 of 1,076
AKG k 701 the guys at Stereophile rave about it - but it needs about 100 hours break in time - I've seen it new on ebay for around $250 us. I bought a couple pairs of Audio Technica ATH M-50's for the studio a few months ago - they're a good kit.

I loved my sr60's but the ear pad deteriorated after about a year, same happened on 5 pairs of sr40's I bought for the studio a few years back -- but great sound.

-Bobby B

www.soundpainter.com
www.intentionalprosperity.com
www.gatheringwave.com

Dec 24, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #666 of 1,076
I own Shure se-210. I was looking at full size headphones and I found the Grado's. I found a Hi-Fi shop where I could try the sr60, sr80, sr125 & rs2. Of all of them I found that the best ones for my wallet and SQ were the Sr80. I like the Grado sound, and found them quite comfortable with the bowl pads.

However my question is. Do you know about any new Grado model is about to come? I am gonna buy the Sr80 unless new grado's with similar price tag and SQ come. Any ideas?

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #667 of 1,076
Any recommendation for something that sounds "clear"/soundstage for about the $500 mark. I got a iBasso D3 to drive it.

Dec 25, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #668 of 1,076
I'm pretty much an audio noob and looking for a headphone setup in the <$200 range, amp included if one is recommended. There are a LOT of recommendations on this thread... I've been doing a lot of research today, but the range of options is extremely daunting and I feel I need some guidance.

I have never had the sharpest ear, but I recently got a pair of senn 280s at work and listening to them all day has made me a lot more picky about my sound quality.

I'm pretty pleased with the 280s but want to see what else is out there. I'd also like something with more pronounced bass. I listen mostly to rock and electronica, occasionally rap.

Portability isn't a big concern. I'll be listening in my apartment mostly. I may listen on airplanes a few times a year, so a closed kit is a plus, but not a necessity. I'm also open to in-ear suggestions.

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #669 of 1,076
denon d2000/5000, ath-esw9 ^ ^
I only listen to closed back headphones...i dnt find a point buying openback ones because I can simply listen to my home studio speakers if I don't care about the surrounding.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #670 of 1,076
So I've done a lot of reading and I'm narrowing down my choices significantly.

Firstly, I listen to classical and some techno (but almost none honestly) and have it narrow down to the Audio Technica a900s, Grado SR-225s, and AKG K701s. Currently my preference is the AKGs.

For now I will not be buying a DAC or amp (my source for now will be a new aluminum MacBook) but I plan on getting a iBasso D3 Python in a few weeks when that time comes. I know the Grados and ATs aren't necessarily amp dependent but the AKGs are.

My question is, if I go with the AKGs now and use them for a few weeks then get an amp, will I be doing anything to adversely affect the phones? And also, of the three above, do the AKGs look like the best bet?

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #671 of 1,076
The AKG's are general considered better than the others but at a higher priceprice and some consider them uncomfortable for long periods of time as well as Amplifier dependent.
Un-amped I would choose the Grados which are considered some of the best un-amped cans. The AT900's have a nice gentle wide soundstage and good SQ but not very exciting or notable.

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #672 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG's are general considered better than the others but at a higher priceprice and some consider them uncomfortable for long periods of time as well as Amplifier dependent.
Un-amped I would choose the Grados which are considered some of the best un-amped cans. The AT900's have a nice gentle wide soundstage and good SQ but not very exciting or notable.

But it won't "harm" the phones by running then unamped for a few weeks?

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #674 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes and if you can get them for the same price where you live, By all means, Get The 701's just remember the comfort issue

Yes as in it will not harm them without an amp?

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #675 of 1,076
Sorry, I should clarify I would not get the AKG unless you plan to get an amp. It will not harm them to run them un-amped for a few weeks. They will simply not run at thier full potential. I am under the impression that the AKGs are much higher priced than the AT's or Grado and the AT's and Grados will run well un-amped because they are low impedence cans. Of The AT's and Grados I would choose the Grados for thier "Fun" presentation over the AT's flat reference style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back