Recommend some full-size open headphones that sound like the PortaPro?
Jul 8, 2010 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LeoPanthera

New Head-Fier
My favourite headphones in terms of sound are the Koss PortaPros, I like the strong bass and crisp highs.

I'd like to buy a pair of full-size (circumaural), that sound the same, or similar, preferably open rather than closed.

Can anyone recommend some? My budget is around UK£100/US$150.

Thanks!

Circumaural

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 10
I'd go Alessandro MS-1 but they aren't circumaural

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 10
Hey welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif
Maybe you can buy a open headphone with blown drivers and transplant a set of portapro drivers into it. if DIY isent your strong side maybe you can go for this
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500087/fs-beyerdynamic-dt531-with-portapro-drivers

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 10
if you add a bit more you can get the beyerdynamic dt990 600 ohms. crisp highs with stronger bass 
smile.gif

you get the dynamics of an open headphone plus good bass quality that would probably satisfy your needs...

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 10
hmmmm...
maybe i'm the only one that hears it this way, but to my ears the portapros are dark sounding.
and this i like about them.

so, you might want to look for full-size cans that have strong bass and rolled off highs.  not crisp highs.

a budget hd650 is what you're looking for...

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 10
Since this is an older thread and i'm sure the poster has found his headphone already I'll suggest the Koss Pro DJ 100.
It has the same sound signature, but maybe a bit less bass, but it is closed. It doesn't sound like a closed headphone though for some reason.

EDIT: Has less bass and the same slightly rolled off highs. The highs feel similar to the HD-600. Not like the HD-650 though I think. The mid-range is probably a bit better then the Porta Pro, especially with vocals. I think this DJ pro is more like a studio monitor, but still fun to listen to. I find them to have a good amount of bass, but some may disagree. A tad less then the SRH-840 maybe,

Basically the Porta Pro has a sound signature I prefer. Many of the headphones in my signature you may like, especially the HD-600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back