Recommend Closed Back 'Phones?
Jul 28, 2010 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TokenGesture

Previously known as avl06
Hi All

Just joined the site, wondered if I can tap into your collective expertise?

I'm looking to get some closed back headphones.  I currently have a pair of Grado 325s (which I like) but I need a pair with good sound isolation as I listen mainly at my desk in a small office to lossless files via MacbookPro and iBasso DAC/Amp.

I'm looking to spend around UK£200.  Been recommended variously the Beyers DT770, the AKG 271 HD, the ATH A700, and Ultrasone HFI 780 and now totally confused!

Listen to a mix of classical (orchestral, instrumental, vocal, the whole range), and modern stuff - Interpol, Arcade Fire, The National, Fever Ray etc etc etc - so I guess I'm looking for a good all rounder. Comfortable to wear as well.

Any help appreciated:)

Cheers
AVL

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 6
With an iBasso D10 my favorite closed headphone in your price range I've heard is D5000 & SRH840 is a close second.  If it makes a difference, the Denons are more comfortable and have better soundstage while the Shures have better isolation & less leakage.  Didn't like DT770-80ohm or K271 (and those two also suffered the most from portable amplification).  Haven't heard the last two on your list.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 6
With the D2000s you won't get much isolation unfortunately. They are extremely comfortable and I've heard quite a few people like them with the D10 though. I've also tried the tried the DT770/80 and felt it was overpriced for the sound quality you got. The 780 probably doesn't fit what you need either. Good isolation but mediocre comfort and the sound is somewhat bass heavy and treble heavy. The sound also tends to be love it or hate it. What did you think of the 325's comfort?

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 6
hmm... no one has said anything bad about the ATH 700 yet 
smile.gif
  I've heard they sit tight on the head though, worries me from the comfort factor

Thanks everyone! Interesting the focus on the D10 - is that because as a portable unit, its not up to scratch?  As you can probably tell I'm pretty new to the business of hifi using computers, this is my first attempt at a set up.  Works well for me but then I probably dont know what I'm missing :wink:

@NapalmK - well, comfort isn't the best of the 325s qualities! With a bit of ear shifting I can deal with it fine, but something more comfortable for extended listening would be nice. 

Sound isolation is important - and no leakage (the primary reason for me looking to purchase another set) - so maybe the Denons are no go

I'm intrigued by the 'sones - this "love it or hate it" sound I read about - also read my Grados have a "love it or hate it" sound...

*scratches head*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back