Recomend me a 'good' entry level tube headphone amp.
Sep 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #196 of 227
That's exactly what I plan on doing! Going to run stock for a month or two and then start having a look at tubes. Unless the tube bug bites early that is... haha 

Thanks i'll go check that page soon :)

Was looking at some M8100/CV4010. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #197 of 227
  That's exactly what I plan on doing! Going to run stock for a month or two and then start having a look at tubes. Unless the tube bug bites early that is... haha 

Thanks i'll go check that page soon :)

Was looking at some M8100/CV4010. 

Those are of the same family that come stock (GE 5654) with the IV and can be quite spendy to pick up.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_m8100.html

Search within the rolling thread to see if they are worth the price they want for them. Unless you have a supplier with a box full of them for dirt cheap then sell me a pair too. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #198 of 227
Had another weekend burning in the LD, i'm not noticing any change in sound but i suppose doing it gradually over several weeks means i'm probably adjusting with it as it goes. The dt880s sound great though, really pleased with them. As a result I've made a cable for my MS-1s, though i've yet to actually mod them for a removable cable and my multimeter broke so i can't even test my connections.

my soldering came out pretty good though :) I used the wires out of van damme star quad, they've a weird rough texture to them but it seems pretty durable. I'll have to get and strip down some mogami and try one out of that too.

I even managed to dig out my old super.fi 3s. the cable has been 'fixed' twice and is a horrible mess but as they're removable I may just get a cheap replacement, or try and find some connectors and make my own :)

So yeah, way off topic, but I bought the LD mkIII and I'm really pleased with it. I suppose i should start a new thread :)

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #199 of 227
  Had another weekend burning in the LD, i'm not noticing any change in sound but i suppose doing it gradually over several weeks means i'm probably adjusting with it as it goes. The dt880s sound great though, really pleased with them. As a result I've made a cable for my MS-1s, though i've yet to actually mod them for a removable cable and my multimeter broke so i can't even test my connections.

my soldering came out pretty good though :) I used the wires out of van damme star quad, they've a weird rough texture to them but it seems pretty durable. I'll have to get and strip down some mogami and try one out of that too.

I even managed to dig out my old super.fi 3s. the cable has been 'fixed' twice and is a horrible mess but as they're removable I may just get a cheap replacement, or try and find some connectors and make my own :)

So yeah, way off topic, but I bought the LD mkIII and I'm really pleased with it. I suppose i should start a new thread :)

No it fits in here! As that is a entry level tube and we r glad your loving it :D 

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #200 of 227
I may as well throw the ALO Audio PanAm in here, though we're getting above entry-level by quite a bit (and it has a DAC inside). I still have Japan-loaner here, which I pulled out to have another listen with. Using either of the better power supplies it sounds remarkably good. The tubes are cheap-as too, which more than makes up for the higher price.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #201 of 227
well I'm going to make ICs for the LD next weekend, though the van damme is marginally too big to fit through the cable entry on my RCA plugs, so I'm torn between stripping back a bit more outer sheathe and heat shrinking the last few inches before the plug, or stripping the wire down entirely, braiding then re-sleeving. I've an abundance of sleeve and shrink for the job, it's whether i can be bothered with the stripping and braiding, gave myself a nasty friction burn/blister and burst it doing the one this weekend.

I will post pics though, i'm reasonably pleased with it given it's the first non-speaker cable i've done in a long time (and speaker cables are so much easier!).

don't suppose you or anyone knows where i can bulk buy just the wire from the mogami cable, rather than more stripping and faffing?

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #203 of 227
Possibly not straight pins, you can pull the tube out and CAREFULLY adjust the pins with a thumbnail. I use my Leatherman but the glass can be cracked by to much bending and if the vacuum is broken the tube is useless. I like 90 degree tubes as well. Or you can gently straighten it in the socket just don't break the tip on the top. You will buy NOS tubes that have bent pins you'll have to straighten down the road. Gentle is the operative word with tube pins. :D

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #204 of 227
There are pin straighteners available on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Tubes-Valves-7-9-pin-straightener-miniatures-vintage-General-Cement-/231052575033?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item35cbce8139

Remember that it's not necessarily the pins.  The glass bottom is often not perpendicular to the glass cylinder.  This is because most NOS tubes were handmade and the bottoms were always fabricated separately so as to seal the pins while creating the plate/grid structure.  The rest of the glass envelope was added later.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #205 of 227
Never really considered crooked glass but it makes sense. :D

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #206 of 227
  There are pin straighteners available on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Tubes-Valves-7-9-pin-straightener-miniatures-vintage-General-Cement-/231052575033?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item35cbce8139

Remember that it's not necessarily the pins.  The glass bottom is often not perpendicular to the glass cylinder.  This is because most NOS tubes were handmade and the bottoms were always fabricated separately so as to seal the pins while creating the plate/grid structure.  The rest of the glass envelope was added later.

Never really considered crooked glass but it makes sense.
biggrin.gif

Yea the tubes on the Stock MK VI+ pics are kinda croocked lol, but it's normal, so long as they are both sonically producing the same signals and are equally hot. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #207 of 227
Thanks for the replies! I got a buzzing hum in the right channel, reseated the crooked power tube and all is running well again! Doesn't seem to be running hot at all though! Amp itself is producing very minimal heat and the tubes when I put my hand near are again very cool. That normal? Also the tubes aren't overly bright (they shine a copper colour)

Also have it set at highest gain with the HD600, watching a movie and have to have the volume at 12 o clock, when listening to music 9-10. 
Apart from that pretty happy with it so far!

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #208 of 227
  Thanks for the replies! I got a buzzing hum in the right channel, reseated the crooked power tube and all is running well again! Doesn't seem to be running hot at all though! Amp itself is producing very minimal heat and the tubes when I put my hand near are again very cool. That normal? Also the tubes aren't overly bright (they shine a copper colour)

Also have it set at highest gain with the HD600, watching a movie and have to have the volume at 12 o clock, when listening to music 9-10. 
Apart from that pretty happy with it so far!

So long as your happy with the sound it should b fine,as far as heat goes. They may just be rinning cool, what tube are u using? The LD3... check the LD forums if you are really worried 

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #209 of 227
Mine does not run very hot either, like our Bro from SC said if it sounds good then not to worry.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #210 of 227
Guys, I'm pretty much set on pulling the trigger on the Audio GD NFB 15.32 this coming payday, Then later (much much later) get a tube amp and use the NFB 15.32 as a DAC (though my wallet is screaming for somebody to dissuade me). 

If any bros here have any other suggestions a good entry level tube amp that has enough juice for T50RPs please let me know soon or forever hold your peace 
biggrin.gif

Rock on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back