Recomend me a 'good' entry level tube headphone amp.
Aug 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #106 of 227
Got the Rega RP3 with an Elys2 cartridge. The difference is fantastic, possibly emphasised by me temporarily using the numark via it's sampling spdif coax connector to my av receiver :)

Ordered the LDIII this morning, should arrive by the weekend, then probably get the dt880s for the following weekend. The stuff i ordered to make up some ICs should arrive middle of this week.

I'll give the gain settings a try when i get it set up; how much were the RCA 6BY6s if you don't mind me asking?

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #107 of 227
Quote:
Got the Rega RP3 with an Elys2 cartridge. The difference is fantastic, possibly emphasised by me temporarily using the numark via it's sampling spdif coax connector to my av receiver :)

Ordered the LDIII this morning, should arrive by the weekend, then probably get the dt880s for the following weekend. The stuff i ordered to make up some ICs should arrive middle of this week.

I'll give the gain settings a try when i get it set up; how much were the RCA 6BY6s if you don't mind me asking?

Very Nice!
I just love the glass platter, did you get the one with the Union Jack on the plinth? :D

The 6BY6's I picked up came from the US and they were $9 for 4 plus a $7 bucks shipping. If they are cheap enough it is always good to have a spare or two incase one is DOA, that's why I got the lot of 4.

Check around eBay these tubes are plentiful and come up quite often. You might even have a local supplier there.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #108 of 227
If you haven't already ordered the DT880s, have you tried HD600s? They are a very good match for the LD Mk III. Also, consider the Voskhods and Mullards as driver tubes (not a bad idea to have both).

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #109 of 227
I'm going for the 880 Pros as they're significantly cheaper than the premiums, and the hd600 appears to be the same price as the premiums. I will likely try to borrow some in the future though for comparison, particularly if i look at upgrading to the 880 premium :)

Thanks for the suggestions on tubes, that's filled out my ebay watch list :)

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #110 of 227
Quote:
I'm going for the 880 Pros as they're significantly cheaper than the premiums, and the hd600 appears to be the same price as the premiums. I will likely try to borrow some in the future though for comparison, particularly if i look at upgrading to the 880 premium :)

Thanks for the suggestions on tubes, that's filled out my ebay watch list :)

Over in the DT880 appreciation thread there are quite a few members with the DT880's HD600's and AKG 701's. They had a discussion about them a ways back and find them all to be very similar in sound with a few minor differences.

Something to search for if I don't post the link for you, a good read on the comparison of the three.
beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #111 of 227
Quote:
we need to email those garage guys for a proper ember (with some tubes) so we can get a real review. All these kids can't write worth a damn (all hype u know). Also CLIEOS review of the iTube was nice. He had a lot of positives to say n one negative ;3 like his review style as well good mix of tech data n subjective experince

The idea had come to mind to ask them for a review kit, especially as DIY amps don't get a lot of reviews.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #112 of 227
Quote:

The idea had come to mind to ask them for a review kit, especially as DIY amps don't get a lot of reviews.

Indeed, maybe you an I both should approach them. My blog and new YouTube channel would love to have those amps reviewd! Not to mention we are both... different experince level'd reviews. Me being a beginner and you a pro, the two opinions would do the amp well! As there are members that have my level of experince and members at yours 

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #113 of 227
Quote:
we need to email those garage guys for a proper ember (with some tubes) so we can get a real review. All these kids can't write worth a damn (all hype u know). Also CLIEOS review of the iTube was nice. He had a lot of positives to say n one negative ;3 like his review style as well good mix of tech data n subjective experince

I just saw this. Wow dude. Thanks for the constructive criticism. Congrats on dismissing an amplifier based on positive reviews from people...

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #114 of 227
I just saw this. Wow dude. Thanks for the constructive criticism. Congrats on dismissing an amplifier based on positive reviews from people...

Well most of the reviews read like an advertisement but u know to each his own

Ive emailed Garage about a sample. Currawong also mentioned doing the same. Positive reviews r nice but any review without listing the faults is sketchy imo. If u cant hear or identify the flaws or flaw then ur only hearing what ur brain is expecting. I.e the hype

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #115 of 227
Quote:

I think you can ask for a built project Ember for review,
There was a "Ember Euro Tour" in the past to let people try the amp, so you could ask to get a review unit, if you send back the unit once review completed i think it should be no problems.

This Ember need a real review, i own one of this amp and all i can say it has great sound, the cool feature is that you can literally transform the sound, there are 3 differents output impedance, two gain settings (the louder gain setting add also a bit of warmth) and you can bypass input capacitor (it has an impact on the dynamic), a real chameleon :).

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #116 of 227
Quote:
I think you can ask for a built project Ember for review,
There was a "Ember Euro Tour" in the past to let people try the amp, so you could ask to get a review unit, if you send back the unit once review completed i think it should be no problems.

This Ember need a real review, i own one of this amp and all i can say it has great sound, the cool feature is that you can literally transform the sound, there are 3 differents output impedance, two gain settings (the louder gain setting add also a bit of warmth) and you can bypass input capacitor (it has an impact on the dynamic), a real chameleon :).

I asked for one actually, and I'd love to see Currawong do a review on it, I mean everything he does is subjective, objective and has a firm grasp on reality. I've not done to many amp reviews because I only have one... so it's a little un fair, But then I get my Balanced Portable Pb1 or Pb2, and then the Audio GD 10ES2 I'll be in a better position to start reviewing amps [as I'll already have 2 to compare them against] that and a good review should feature synergy with multipe sound sig nitures [or headphones] thankfully I've got the Multi Can part already down <3 

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #117 of 227
Quote:
I asked for one actually, and I'd love to see Currawong do a review on it, I mean everything he does is subjective, objective and has a firm grasp on reality. I've not done to many amp reviews because I only have one... so it's a little un fair, But then I get my Balanced Portable Pb1 or Pb2, and then the Audio GD 10ES2 I'll be in a better position to start reviewing amps [as I'll already have 2 to compare them against] that and a good review should feature synergy with multipe sound sig nitures [or headphones] thankfully I've got the Multi Can part already down <3 

The point that I'm trying to communicate is that the amp isn't really deficient in any area because any deficiency can be changed via changing cap settings, gain, output resistence, and tube. Also since it doesn't have a specific sound signature it can't sound good or bad per se -- just different. It's an amp that doesn't go well with "it does this well and that poorly" because my response to that is always going to be "well change the settings" and that fixes it. Yes, certain setups with the amp have their faults, but those faults are easily fixable. That's the beauty of the amp and the source of the massively positive reviews. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #118 of 227
Quote:
The point that I'm trying to communicate is that the amp isn't really deficient in any area because any deficiency can be changed via changing cap settings, gain, output resistence, and tube. Also since it doesn't have a specific sound signature it can't sound good or bad per se -- just different. It's an amp that doesn't go well with "it does this well and that poorly" because my response to that is always going to be "well change the settings" and that fixes it. Yes, certain setups with the amp have their faults, but those faults are easily fixable. That's the beauty of the amp and the source of the massively positive reviews. 

True enough I suppose, and for it's price range there's not much to compete with it, or anything with as many options as it has. I guess the only flaw is the open design, as it's going to get dusty and that's bad for any amp. But that little glitch aside, sonically it seems to be top notch 

Still Jack of all Master of none comes to mind, but again we go into budget... chances are there is not much to compete with it's versiltility in that price range

Well I guess, you could also consider it an entry level tube for that reason,

Still hoping I can get a listen of her one day! 

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #119 of 227
Quote:
True enough I suppose, and for it's price range there's not much to compete with it, or anything with as many options as it has. I guess the only flaw is the open design, as it's going to get dusty and that's bad for any amp. But that little glitch aside, sonically it seems to be top notch 

Still Jack of all Master of none comes to mind, but again we go into budget... chances are there is not much to compete with it's versiltility in that price range

Well I guess, you could also consider it an entry level tube for that reason,

Still hoping I can get a listen of her one day! 

You got it - it doesn't compare to anything below its price range, so the only thing to do is to shoot above, and even that is favorable for it. Reports say it that beats the lyr, I (and a friend of mine as well as the owner of a local hi-fi store) put it up against a peachtree nova and the only knock against the Ember was that it didn't present as many micro details and wasn't as resolving, but it was with the stock tube in and it was before i discovered other things that can make the amp more resolving i.e. bypassing input caps and using high gain. It's things like that that can make the amp almost a copycat - competing with amps above its price range in the things that they do best. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #120 of 227
Quote:
You got it - it doesn't compare to anything below its price range, so the only thing to do is to shoot above, and even that is favorable for it. Reports say it that beats the lyr, I (and a friend of mine as well as the owner of a local hi-fi store) put it up against a peachtree nova and the only knock against the Ember was that it didn't present as many micro details and wasn't as resolving, but it was with the stock tube in and it was before i discovered other things that can make the amp more resolving i.e. bypassing input caps and using high gain. It's things like that that can make the amp almost a copycat - competing with amps above its price range in the things that they do best. 

Indeed, just wish some one would enclosure that damn thing. Might pay a tad bit extra for them fellows at Garage 127 to do that for me... I got cats man them things are nasty... and as Much as I vaccum they are still ninja's and manage to infest all my crap with hair

That said... you ought to let me Loan yours out some times RAZR <3 make a believer out of this hatter xD 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back