Recently purchased an Audeze LCD-2, help me choose an amp and DAC
Aug 6, 2011 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

nieveulv

100+ Head-Fier
Just joined the headphone world :) Purchased an LCD2 on a rush....and now i need an amp and DAC to power it..

-current setup : desktop - audeze lcd2. portable BW p5
-Budget : $1000
-source : Use with desktop ALAF, FLAC, 320kbs mp3s and wav, CD

-Music listened (altenative britrock: radiohead, the verve, muse, coldplay, oasis). rock music (hendrix, pink floyd, GNR, porcupine tree), instrumental jazz and lounge, some audiophille music and lots of new age music (chris spheeris, yanni etc etc) Basiclly quite versatile listening :D not much pop and hip hop though and no dance music

Choices

-centrance DACmini (DAC + AMP)
-Burson HA160D (DAC + AMP)
-Burson HA160 (amp) + cambridge audio dacmagic (DAC)
-Schiit Lyr (amp) + cambridge audio dacmagic (DAC)
-no others please :) This is all i can get in my place...

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 43
i'd get the dacmini or the HA-160D purely for all-in-one factor, both are recommended for the LCD-2 so you can't go wrong with either.

^^

Makes upgrading a bit harder down the road....say the OP picked up the HE-6s and needed a more powerful amp....then what?

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 43
Is the cambridge audio dacmagic a good DAC? That would make it easy to upgrade in the future? Reading quite alot of threads and reviews...Very confused for the dacmini and the ha160D since both seems pretty good? Does the 8 watt DACmini have enough juice to run the lcd2 at alotof power...i like my music "loud" :D

im interested in the dacmini because its much cheaper than the burson,,,

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 43
burson. probably the best synergy with the LCD2 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 43

Quote:
What other amps have you heard to make this claim? The Burson was quite good with the LCD-2s, but not the best I've heard.

really? well, ive heard the EF-5, asgard, a very neutral and powerful DIY Gainclone amp, all of which i personally own 
ksc75smile.gif

in your opinion, what do you think has the best synergy for the LCD? im saving up for the burson rite now so if theres something better, I want it 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #12 of 43

Quote:
really? well, ive heard the EF-5, asgard, a very neutral and powerful DIY Gainclone amp, all of which i personally own 
ksc75smile.gif

in your opinion, what do you think has the best synergy for the LCD? im saving up for the burson rite now so if theres something better, I want it 
smile_phones.gif

Balanced beta22, Leben, WA2, and WA22.   They are all much more than the Burson, for the price HA160/D ($700 and $1250), it is a very good value.  I have not heard any amp for less is better than Burson, there are a lot amp that I have not tried.  I can only comment the one I have heard.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 43

Quote:
WOW thanks!! Didnt read that....sounds i cant go wrong with either...
i listen to alot of songs with Prat, but the dacmini is $300 cheaper...hmmm..

Try the used market, there is a dacmini for $650AUD shipped.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/563240/fs-centrance-dacmini-cx-aus

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #14 of 43
If you have not heard the Shiit LYR with LCD2 you are not hearing everything yet. (take note, the tube need to be 6BZ7 version).

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #15 of 43

Quote:
If you have not heard the Shiit LYR with LCD2 you are not hearing everything yet. (take note, the tube need to be 6BZ7 version).

I did heard LYR with LCD2, I don't think it is better than my WA22 with the right tubes combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back