Recabling Denon D7000
Dec 30, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A month ago I did some fact finding on a Denon AH-D 7000 recable from Moon Audio. I am suprised that no one has put any info regarding Moon Audio? They e-mailed me a price quote in the $260.00 range as I remember right. I do not know how they rate? I do see a lot of photos around here. They must be popular?

Moon Audio does excellent work, however with the Denon's the Silver Dragon is really the only cable they offer that benefits them, and APS V3 can be had cheaper at that price and is a better cable.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bring the midrange forward a little (I'm assuming due to the fact that the bass is no longer as overpowering and upfront), and to be honest I did not notice a huge change in the highs, maybe somewhat less rolled off.

Without a doubt worth the money though, and after they're worn in a bit they are EXTREMELY comfortable, just very stiff at first.

Yeah I've been thinking about getting them for a while now. I don't find the bass in my D7000s to be overpowering at all; I think it's just about perfect and I wouldn't want to change it. But I have been finding the highs to be a tad bit overly bright and shrill in some songs. I've EQ'd them down ~1-2dB from 7k-14k and it helped a bit but I was wondering if the J$ ear pads would have a better effect.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I've been thinking about getting them for a while now. I don't find the bass in my D7000s to be overpowering at all; I think it's just about perfect and I wouldn't want to change it. But I have been finding the highs to be a tad bit overly bright and shrill in some songs. I've EQ'd them down ~1-2dB from 7k-14k and it helped a bit but I was wondering if the J$ ear pads would have a better effect.

I didn't find the D5K highs harsh or bright at all, so you may want to try them yourself. Regardless, the added control it gives the bass (it does NOT reduce bass, just more controlled) and overall SQ improvement is totally worth it.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 35
Drew at Moon Audio does exceptional work. I supplied 6 meters of Siltech and Drew did the recabling of my 7000's. I'm quite pleased with the results. I'm sure that I have the only set of Denon AH-D7000SE's (Siltech Edition) in existence. Of course few here would consider recabling 7000's with wire that costs more than the headphones, but that's just the way that I roll.

It only makes sense recabling in this manner if the rest of the system is of commensurate quality. As an example if you don't hear a difference in your interconnects recabling is probably a waste of effort.

If you aren't sure that cables matter and you are forced to recable because your pet hamster ate your stock cables then I'd suggest recabling with some Mogomi W2534, it's inexpensive and sounds surprisingly good for such a cheap cable. A definite step up from Canare and Belden quad cables.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #20 of 35
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up having fellow Head-Fi'er momomo6789 recable them with Jena for the + and ALO Silver for the -. I am so glad I did not simply replace them with the stock cable. I would say there is about a 10-15% improvement to the sound which is more than I expected. He does excellent work and great prices. I would suggest giving him a try if you need a recable.

He even sent the original stock cord which I may make into a noose to keep the cats away!
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tke398 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up having fellow Head-Fi'er momomo6789 recable them with Jena for the + and ALO Silver for the -. I am so glad I did not simply replace them with the stock cable. I would say there is about a 10-15% improvement to the sound which is more than I expected. He does excellent work and great prices. I would suggest giving him a try if you need a recable.

He even sent the original stock cord which I may make into a noose to keep the cats away!
evil_smiley.gif

Keep in mind that you are comparing the recabled headphones to the sound you remember from at least a month ago on the stock cable. The improvement you hear could VERY easily be placebo effect and new toy syndrome.

Especially considering many people consider the D7000 stock cable to be comparable to if not better than many of the top of the line cable companies out there.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly recommend Drew at Moon Audio. He does top notch work and provides responsive customer support.

Absolutely...I agree.

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Keep in mind that you are comparing the recabled headphones to the sound you remember from at least a month ago on the stock cable. The improvement you hear could VERY easily be placebo effect and new toy syndrome.

Especially considering many people consider the D7000 stock cable to be comparable to if not better than many of the top of the line cable companies out there.

Keep in mind that it's his ears and he hears what he hears. This isn't the sound science forum, people discuss their subjective opinions here. It's the one thing objectivists can't reconcile; the fact that listening to music is at it core is an inherently subjective endeavor.

Who are these people that consider the stock cable "comparable to if not better than many of the top of the line cable companies out there"? I own the 7000's and I follow all of the threads on them that I can. I have seen no consensus that the stock cables are anything either bad or good. Even though they do supposedly use 7 Nines copper there are other design criteria that may limit their sonic performance (Such as flexibility and durability) that after market cables seldom pay particular attention to.

I can tell you that several experienced Head-Fiers who didn't paticularly like the stock 7000's have liked my recabled set.

What exactly is the motivation for crapping on someone else enjoying their newly recabled headphones?

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #26 of 35
Jeez, you're reacting like someone crapped on your recabled headphones. God forbid that someone uses a scientific term like "placebo" in a non-designated free speech zone.

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that it's his ears and he hears what he hears. This isn't the sound science forum, people discuss their subjective opinions here. It's the one thing objectivists can't reconcile; the fact that listening to music is at it core is an inherently subjective endeavor.

Who are these people that consider the stock cable "comparable to if not better than many of the top of the line cable companies out there"? I own the 7000's and I follow all of the threads on them that I can. I have seen no consensus that the stock cables are anything either bad or good. Even though they do supposedly use 7 Nines copper there are other design criteria that may limit their sonic performance (Such as flexibility and durability) that after market cables seldom pay particular attention to.

I can tell you that several experienced Head-Fiers who didn't paticularly like the stock 7000's have liked my recabled set.

What exactly is the motivation for crapping on someone else enjoying their newly recabled headphones?

What is the motivation? The motivation is to point out that this person did NOT have both sets of headphones side by side and listened to the recabled ones weeks after he last heard the stock ones, and due to that situation, the man should not be quantifying the percentage improvement in sound he heard.

If he can't listen to them side by side and do a DBT to prove he can hear an improvement, if any difference at all, then he should say something along the lines of "The recabled D7000s sound quite a bit better than I remember the stock sounding.". Quantifying it and stating it as fact isn't something you can do in a situation like this, it will mislead other curious buyers.

And as for people who consider the stock comparable to or better than many top of the line cables, let's just throw the big name in Denons out there who knows far more about them than you or I, Mark Lawton. There was a post on these forums I read once where he said that while a certain $280 recable from a well known company (one of if not the most popular company for recables on this forum) offered some positive gains, it was also accompanied by some negatives.

He also states right on his site that the stock cable is very good and comparable to many of the big names in cables.

Anyways, the point of my post was to point out that it very well could have been placebo effect. I have no problem with people expressing their subjective opinions here, but don't do it by quantifying the improvement in SQ when you can't A/B the headphones in a proper DBT setting so there can be no placebo interference.

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

What is the motivation? The motivation is to point out that this person did NOT have both sets of headphones side by side and listened to the recabled ones weeks after he last heard the stock ones, and due to that situation, the man should not be quantifying the percentage improvement in sound he heard.

If he can't listen to them side by side and do a DBT to prove he can hear an improvement, if any difference at all, then he should say something along the lines of "The recabled D7000s sound quite a bit better than I remember the stock sounding.". Quantifying it and stating it as fact isn't something you can do in a situation like this, it will mislead other curious buyers.

And as for people who consider the stock comparable to or better than many top of the line cables, let's just throw the big name in Denons out there who knows far more about them than you or I, Mark Lawton. There was a post on these forums I read once where he said that while a certain $280 recable from a well known company (one of if not the most popular company for recables on this forum) offered some positive gains, it was also accompanied by some negatives.

He also states right on his site that the stock cable is very good and comparable to many of the big names in cables.

Anyways, the point of my post was to point out that it very well could have been placebo effect. I have no problem with people expressing their subjective opinions here, but don't do it by quantifying the improvement in SQ when you can't A/B the headphones in a proper DBT setting so there can be no placebo interference.

1st you need to Read the rules. the only place where you can talk about DBT is in the Sound Science forum. Everyone on this site knows that a quantified # such as 10% is a personal subjective figure. Your purpose was to thread crap. As far as your quoting Mark Lawton, he is anything but impartial. He mods and sells cables for the Denon's, he has a vested interest in downplaying the performance of competing after market cables. One way he does this is saying that the stock cables are better than his competition, but of course Lawton's cables are better still.

I actually think Mark's mods are extremely interesting, I'd love to try them on my 7000's but since the mods are not reversible it's not going to happen. I have heard some Lawton 7000's and personally I prefer my recabled 7000's with JMoney earpads. Still taking mark L's word concerning anything Headphone related is at this point questionable, he has a vested interest in such matters.

Still if you want to talk about DBT you should crawl back to the Sound Science forum, it's where you belong.

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #29 of 35
That's why I racable all my headphones with barbed wire..the sound is cold and sharp especially when it touches the neck (works wonders with HD650)
biggrin.gif

No cat can touch it, tough I don't have a cat..but pff they are getting on my nerves
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st you need to Read the rules. the only place where you can talk about DBT is in the Sound Science forum. Everyone on this site knows that a quantified # such as 10% is a personal subjective figure. Your purpose was to thread crap. As far as your quoting Mark Lawton, he is anything but impartial. He mods and sells cables for the Denon's, he has a vested interest in downplaying the performance of competing after market cables. One way he does this is saying that the stock cables are better than his competition, but of course Lawton's cables are better still.

I actually think Mark's mods are extremely interesting, I'd love to try them on my 7000's but since the mods are not reversible it's not going to happen. I have heard some Lawton 7000's and personally I prefer my recabled 7000's with JMoney earpads. Still taking mark L's word concerning anything Headphone related is at this point questionable, he has a vested interest in such matters.

Still if you want to talk about DBT you should crawl back to the Sound Science forum, it's where you belong.

As far as the Mark Lawton quote goes, the one I was referring to, the one on these forums, was posted LONG before Lawton Audio was started, therefore making it an unbiased post at the time.

As for not discussing DBT in these forums, I see it done constantly don't use the rule against me just because you don't want to discuss it here. It's a justifiable argument and nobody should be quantifying anything without a proper test unless they are making it clear that they could not compare the two things directly.

As for the MarkL mods I can help you out there. To sum it up it makes the headphones far more balanced and takes them from being laid back to slightly forward of neutral. Treble and midrange comes forward a lot.

I like how you're trying to flame me for pointing out that somebody was shouting out to the heavens how great his upgrade was when he couldn't even compare it to the original.

Here, let's completely forget I mentioned DBT and I'll phrase it differently for you:

If you can't directly A/B the stock headphones with the recabled how can you prove that the recabled are better when you're going from memory that is a few weeks old. It is completely unfair, and regardless you shouldn't be giving a % improvement in SQ, especially not in this situation.

Is that better mom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back