Recabling Denon D7000
Dec 28, 2009 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

tke398

100+ Head-Fier
My cat ate through my D7000 cable coming out of the left ear and now I need to get them repaired. Rather than splicing the cable back myself, I figured I'd do it right and either get them replaced with the stock cable or something else.

If I send them back to Denon, it will be $55 just for an estimate. I'm guessing they are probably going to over charge me for parts and labor, but I honestly don't know. Headphone.com has a Cardas 'Fatpipe' recabling for $285 for 5 ft. Lawton Audio will replace the cable with a stock D7000 cable only if I purchase it with their Markl mod. I really don't want to mod the headphones since I am very happy with the sound.

Does anyone know how much Denon charges for a recable? Can anyone recommend a replacement cable for a reasonable price? I dont want to spend $500+ for Jena cable considering I got these headphones for $500.

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 35
The recable is a pretty straightforward job so if I were you I wouldn't waste too much money on it, the rest of the system is usually plays a much bigger role in how the system sounds. Maybe you could try Mogami or I am sure there are other cheap options as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/den...photos-382965/

You might even able to just shorten the stock D7000 cable and attach it again.

Dec 29, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 35
tke398 you may want to find out if there is a fellow Head Fier close to you (post an ad) w/ a MarkL modded D7000. Then you can find out if his mods improve on what you already like or not. Personally I am sold on the MarkL mods and I have had them done on both a D2000 and D5000 and in both cases they sounded better to me. BTW, I was able to compare a modded to an un-modded version of both cans to make the above statement. Good luck.

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tke398 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My cat ate through my D7000 cable coming out of the left ear and now I need to get them repaired. Rather than splicing the cable back myself, I figured I'd do it right and either get them replaced with the stock cable or something else.

If I send them back to Denon, it will be $55 just for an estimate. I'm guessing they are probably going to over charge me for parts and labor, but I honestly don't know. Headphone.com has a Cardas 'Fatpipe' recabling for $285 for 5 ft. Lawton Audio will replace the cable with a stock D7000 cable only if I purchase it with their Markl mod. I really don't want to mod the headphones since I am very happy with the sound.

Does anyone know how much Denon charges for a recable? Can anyone recommend a replacement cable for a reasonable price? I dont want to spend $500+ for Jena cable considering I got these headphones for $500.

Thanks!

i have the headroom cardas fat pipe on my denon d7000 and love the sound!
fat pipe sounds sweet and natural on my rig
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The recable is a pretty straightforward job so if I were you I wouldn't waste too much money on it, the rest of the system is usually plays a much bigger role in how the system sounds. Maybe you could try Mogami or I am sure there are other cheap options as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/den...photos-382965/

You might even able to just shorten the stock D7000 cable and attach it again.

I am toying with the idea of doing it myself. The problem is I still can't find a stock D7000 cable. I may be able to shorten the the cable and reattach. Thanks for the ideas.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tke398 you may want to find out if there is a fellow Head Fier close to you (post an ad) w/ a MarkL modded D7000. Then you can find out if his mods improve on what you already like or not. Personally I am sold on the MarkL mods and I have had them done on both a D2000 and D5000 and in both cases they sounded better to me. BTW, I was able to compare a modded to an un-modded version of both cans to make the above statement. Good luck.

I read your thread about the differences you heard with the mods. Your comments carry a lot of weight since you've actually heard both versions. If I do go that route, I would probably get the basic Markl mod and the stock cable, though.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by decur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the headroom cardas fat pipe on my denon d7000 and love the sound!
fat pipe sounds sweet and natural on my rig
bigsmile_face.gif

Can you describe the before and after differences? What can I expect?

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try it yourself, it's really not that hard and hang the cat with the left-overs.

lolololololol precisely what i was thinking, imagine you just get your brand new 1k phones, and u go out for dinner and come home and your cat eats thru your cable,,,, sorry for the Schadenfreude, but you cant make that stuff up.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i have read that this mod takes away some bass,,, does it improve punch,, if so then its worth it imo.

also why is everyone so sold on recabbling with the stock chord,, i have the 7000 and i think the chord sucks big time it twists far too much and i can seee this being a problem in the future,, ive read th e5000 didnt have this problem,, i have the dx1000 and it uses the same vinyl covered chord but its far better sturdier anddosent twist at all really,,,, id reccomend trying to find one of those before getting the denon stock cable,

but ive often wanted to recable my 7000 as well,,, what arer better chords than the stock cablese,

should you try a silver copper mix or just stay with straight copper?

thanks

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have read that this mod takes away some bass,,, does it improve punch,, if so then its worth it imo.

I've heard (still on the edge about getting mine modded) that the mods can improve impact somewhat, but apparently the sound changes significantly to the point where it sounds like a completely different headphone.

I've asked markL whether he believed these claims to be true and got the somewhat dodgy answer "You can't completely change what's already there, my mods simply improve upon what the driver already provides.".

While this sounds fantastic, I've heard from many, many people that while the mod can be an improvement depending on your tastes, it most certainly does not sound like the same pair of headphones, so if you like the stock sound you should probably avoid it.

Personally, right now I have JMoney pads which really tightened up the bass, but I still feel like it could use a LITTLE more tightening, but not enough that I feel like the mod would be a surefire improvement as outside of the bass I absolutely adore the stock sound. I'm planning to order some damped custom cups from markL soon, which, as it'll only be a partial mod, should do the job just fine.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, right now I have JMoney pads which really tightened up the bass, but I still feel like it could use a LITTLE more tightening, but not enough that I feel like the mod would be a surefire improvement as outside of the bass I absolutely adore the stock sound. I'm planning to order some damped custom cups from markL soon, which, as it'll only be a partial mod, should do the job just fine.

How do the J$ ear pads affect the midrange and highs?

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the J$ ear pads affect the midrange and highs?

Bring the midrange forward a little (I'm assuming due to the fact that the bass is no longer as overpowering and upfront), and to be honest I did not notice a huge change in the highs, maybe somewhat less rolled off.

Without a doubt worth the money though, and after they're worn in a bit they are EXTREMELY comfortable, just very stiff at first.

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 35
A month ago I did some fact finding on a Denon AH-D 7000 recable from Moon Audio. I am suprised that no one has put any info regarding Moon Audio? They e-mailed me a price quote in the $260.00 range as I remember right. I do not know how they rate? I do see a lot of photos around here. They must be popular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back