RE0's - am I missing something?
Nov 27, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #76 of 101

Quote:
I would describe the sound of the RE0 as desolate and parched of bass, let alone Bass or BASS, all of which it LACKS; THEREBY making it a deficient and brittle headphone. Heck it has osteoperosis.

blink.gif

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #78 of 101
The OP is topical for me, I took a plunge on a pair of RE0 after reading the reviews on this forum. I've been trying to like them for 3 days.

I found the best sound from the large stock tips, with minimal insertion to achieve a seal. Listening to Massive Attack - Angel, the sub bass intro is barely there, which to be fair was similar to the Etymotic ER4Ps I also had and sold.

Without an amp or something that can provide a fair amount of juice they sound terrible, direct from an IPhone 4 I think the stock apple ear buds sound better.

I can't comment on the 17KHz - 17.5KHz range mentioned here, it seems an odd selling point to advocate, I can hardly hear that frequency range, however I would say that the frequency extension from 10KHz to 16KHz is good, clear but somewhat grainy. The mid range seems flat certainly not emphasized. The bass is there, although you have to listen for it, it's certainly not a refined IEM and sub bass is all but absent.

I actually prefer it through my Beta22 (it sounds less grainy) rather than through the SOHAII tube amp. The ER4P responded much better to being amped with it sounding a little more liquid and less brittle. After selling the ER4Ps I'm still searching for the perfect IEM. The UM3X I have at the moment still aren't "right" but they do have sub bass and bass, the weird mid-range hump and rolled off highs I can live with. It also works pretty well un-amped.

Does the RE0 warrant the hype and is it still the best budget choice?
I'm not sure, you should certainly factor in money for an amp which makes it less of bargain and it's probably worth seeing what else is out there 2 years on from their original launch.

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #79 of 101

Quote:
Does the RE0 warrant the hype and is it still the best budget choice?
I'm not sure, you should certainly factor in money for an amp which makes it less of bargain and it's probably worth seeing what else is out there 2 years on from their original launch.

Take out 90% of the earphones on the market today and you have what 2 years ago was. The top earphones 2 years ago was ER4, UM2, SE530 and TF10. Look at budget value and under $100 was ER6i. I'm sure there's others but the market was not as crowded as it was 2 years ago. That being said I would still buy the RE0 if I wanted a under $100 earphone and I find it a good value. YMMV

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #80 of 101
Nov 28, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #81 of 101
I wasn't able to get the RE0 to match the bass of my ER4S using my Gumstick at the time.  I AB'd them w/ Semisight and he agreed the ER4S had more bass.  I didn't have my Arrow at the time but the Arrow IS cheating. 
wink.gif
 The BB on the Arrow is just that good IMO.  Not to derail but ClieOS can you give a brief impression of the Stepdance v. Arrow?  Especially w. respect to clarity, transparency and overall presentation?  PM me if you prefer.  Sorry for the OT.  

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #82 of 101
Love to give you an impression but someone need to send me an Arrow first :p. I think there is impression of Stepdance vs Arrow in the Stepdance thread in portable amp forum, you just have to search for it.

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #83 of 101

Quote:
Love to give you an impression but someone need to send me an Arrow first :p. I think there is impression of Stepdance vs Arrow in the Stepdance thread in portable amp forum, you just have to search for it.

Yeah AJ had a few words.  Just curious about your thoughts.  
wink.gif
  Gonna have to meet up w/ him someday and I guess I'll answer that myself. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #84 of 101
Although the RE0 is middle of the road in terms of SQ overall (i.e., adequate; nothing to write home about), IMO it does do a much better job with acoustic (jazz; acoustic rock) than heavy-duty electric rock recordings.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #85 of 101
Ok guys, so which IEMs you think sound much better than RE0 and are a better value? I personally haven't found one yet. In fact, all of the high end universals I've tried - UM3X, W3, e-Q7, SE530/535, GR8, Triple.fi, RE252, SM3, - none sound much better, if better at all than the RE0 IMO. And all of the mid-fi universals are either on par with RE0 in most aspect, or worse and yet cost 2+ times as much.

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #86 of 101
In my opinion, not the TF10. I'm currently sending in my RE-0 for warranty, so I'm stuck with my TF10. It sounds bloated in the sense that there's too much bass but also thin because of the recessed mids. 
frown.gif
 Guitars just sound awesome on the RE-0/

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #87 of 101
1 down . 8 to go
popcorn.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #88 of 101

Quote:
Ok guys, so which IEMs you think sound much better than RE0 and are a better value? I personally haven't found one yet. In fact, all of the high end universals I've tried - UM3X, W3, e-Q7, SE530/535, GR8, Triple.fi, RE252, SM3, - none sound much better, if better at all than the RE0 IMO. And all of the mid-fi universals are either on par with RE0 in most aspect, or worse and yet cost 2+ times as much.

For the money I'd easily listen to my Xcape over the RE0.  If we start EQing I'd go for my M1 at less than half the price.  It won't be 'better' but more 'enjoyable' and save me $40.  According to my ears, YMMV.

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #89 of 101
Quote:
In my opinion, not the TF10. I'm currently sending in my RE-0 for warranty, so I'm stuck with my TF10. It sounds bloated in the sense that there's too much bass but also thin because of the recessed mids. 
frown.gif
 Guitars just sound awesome on the RE-0/

I agree. I also think RE0 sounds better than Triple.fi. Although, it's probably just a matter of personal preference. RE0 is more neutral and accurate - Triple.fi is more colored and "fun."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back