RE0's - am I missing something?
Nov 25, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #61 of 101
@savenger: I'm right there with you, I went through several weeks of an intense love-hate relationship with a borrowed pair of RE0s, hated them for their sound signature and loved them for being just a loaner :wink:

My listening consists of 50% classical, 30% acoustic jazz and folk and only a small amount of bass driven music. After an abundance of rave reviews and one of the longest appreciation threads I've ever come across I simply couldn't believe what I was hearing. A thin and unrealistic presentation within the confines of a miniscule soundstage. Even their famed highs appeared somewhat squeaky to my ears. I still remember thinking, if that's what it takes to be a serious audiophile I'd rather take a pass.

Of course it is possible that my pair was defective, but posts like yours make me think they weren't.

i've had pretty much the exact same experience. but a bit different :) it was only one week (well... more like 2-3 weeks but the first 1-2 were one year ago) but i agree fully with many sentiments expressed here regarding the really unrealistic sound

now, i'm not really a basshead (i really really like my dba2, for example, but i also mostly agree with mvw2 that it lacks a bit of body/weight to the note and that it's maybe a bit too aggressive and so sacrifices a bit of dynamic range. at the same time, i also love my W3's despite being constantly reminded of its midbass hump) but i do like my bass and texture and the re0 just didn't deliver. i tried it with all different kinds of music i like to listen to (from extreme metal to ambient to classical and some jazz) and this was the only 'phone i've heard that made me feel all my favorite music was boring it was so dull and unrealistic. i've been to plenty of gigs (arena concerts, music hall performances, fully acoustic gigs...), rehearsals etc in my life and i've never heard instruments and voices sound so dull (not dull as in "lacking details" but more like "so unexciting it hurts"), boring and lifeless

it reminded me of an article i've read some time ago (iirc it was by clieos) "neutral vs natural" where the writer put a b&w pic for neutral and a full color one for natural. and here's what i picture like the re0: imagine what would a really natural and realistic picture of one of your favorite "things" look like in full color and taken by a good, professional photographer with minimal (i.e. almost 0) photoshopping. that photo tells a story. it has meaning and a "life" of its own. that's say the "natural, realistic, reference sound". the re0 to me sounds like a b&w photo taken by a total amateur (i.e. completely uninteresting frame) with some heavy photoshopping to enhance sharpness. and that photo is viewed on a subpar lcd monitor with "blacks" that are overly noticeably gray. you're looking at it and you cannot help being bored by the whole composition and you notice that something is off (besides the blacks being gray :wink:) and just unnatural. plus, you notice that it's just a "picture". it has no story behind it.

to me, the re0 are good at reproducing sounds, but horrible at reproducing music. it's like a conductor without passion and clueless as to what the piece he's conducting signifies and what is the story behind it. or a player only seeing notes in the sheet and not an actual composition and so he plays the piece without passion, energy or substance. boring

Nov 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #62 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by praetor47 /img/forum/go_quote.gifthe re0 are good at reproducing sounds, but horrible at reproducing music. it's like a conductor without passion and clueless as to what the piece he's conducting signifies and what is the story behind it. or a player only seeing notes in the sheet and not an actual composition and so he plays the piece without passion, energy or substance. boring

Re-0 sounds great to me. Btw before you ask, yes I am listening to music, not sounds.

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #63 of 101

Quote:
to me, the re0 are good at reproducing sounds, but horrible at reproducing music. it's like a conductor without passion and clueless as to what the piece he's conducting signifies and what is the story behind it. or a player only seeing notes in the sheet and not an actual composition and so he plays the piece without passion, energy or substance. borin

I sometimes cried when listening to RE0...

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #64 of 101

Quote:
I sometimes cried when listening to RE0...

Why, did you hurt yourself?  J/K.  
wink_face.gif

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #65 of 101

Quote:
I sometimes cried when listening to RE0...

Me too, when a folk singer sang a sad poem. Unfortunately, it's in Korean so most of you guys won't be able to understand it, but I cried while taking a walk in the morning and people looked at me. boy, RE-Zero is good. It is.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #66 of 101
Interesting, after using the comply with the RE0 they sound really good.  If you call this muddy, well....I don't know what to say?  It really brings out the "fullness" in them, but I still think a tube amp is better.

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #67 of 101
Quote:
Interesting, after using the comply with the RE0 they sound really good.  If you call this muddy, well....I don't know what to say?  It really brings out the "fullness" in them, but I still think a tube amp is better.

Wait till you listen to it with Stepdance or straight from HM801, now that are some killer combo there. :)

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #68 of 101
I actually listened to them from 3 different amps, Pico Slim, Kicas and the Sparrow, haha I had to make sure I wasn't imagining it.  I wish I was in Taiwan still when I was listening to this hybrid amp with a 12ax7 tube, it sounded so good with the RE0.

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #69 of 101
Too bad most of you guys all live overseas. I challenge every single one of you to come audition my 200+ hour burned-in pair of RE0's using Fischer Audio single flange tips hooked to my Headstage Arrow 12HE with bassboost on +2. Noone can objectively call this combo "thin". If this is thin, I really want to hear "full". 
etysmile.gif

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #70 of 101
I actually found the bass +2 to be too much on the Arrow, it felt congested, I like +1.  You want to hear full, get yourself a tube amp or hybrid with a really good tube (RCA 12AX7 was the one I heard it from), and maybe even use them with comply, I audition them with the standard biflange.  That is full, luscious, warm and smooth and I'm not too sure if I'm a tube guy, yet lol.

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #73 of 101
Quote:
Well, technically? Yes. Awesome-ally? No. 

lol Exactly. If your music sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #75 of 101
I would describe the sound of the RE0 as desolate and parched of bass, let alone Bass or BASS, all of which it LACKS; THEREBY making it a deficient and brittle headphone. Heck it has osteoperosis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back