RE0 amped, RE-Zero, or DBA-02???
Aug 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #31 of 38
ya im pretty worried on the tips not working. Hope I dont have to end up spending like a extra 50 bucks in searching for the right tips
frown.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #32 of 38

Quote:
Very good description of the DBAs vs. the Zeros, and owning both is a treat. Your take is what I would like to say, but could not figure out how to say. Typically, I do favor the DBAs for on the go listening, walking the dog, etc. When I am at home, I also love hooking the burned in Zeros to my T3 and Touch via LOD, and soaking up the detail, though losing the more fun sound of the DBAs. But it's very nice to have both. I really don't feel like I need to buy any more expensive top-tier universal IEMs, something I used to think I needed to get the best sound for me.

Update:

After a A/B last night, I have to say there isn't much missing detail-wise from the DBAs that the Zeros provide, not to my pedestrian ears at least. So while the Zeros are, as you say, a great value, to me the $50 or so is well worth it. I think the DBAs will impress more than the average listener (LFF, Joker, rawrster are three). That makes them sound like they are less accomplished in some way, but now, after two hours of back and forth, I don't hear that.

No knock on the DBAs whatsoever, nor am I calling them a less accomplished phone by any stretch.  I think for me personally I prefer the zeroes because I find the instrument separation to be a little more clear.  I really like to be able to hear every part distinctly in a mix, and for whatever reason I find myself better able to do that with the zeroes.  Every other aspect of the DBAs is most likely superior based on my recollection (alas I do not have the luxury of being able to A/B them for two hours).  Then again, my Livewires Trips just arrived, so my guess is this is probably a moot point for me at least :)

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #33 of 38

Quote:
I'm one of those that prefer the stock medium single flange tips or Shure grey "soft flex" (very similar single flange with a tighter fit on the nozzle). Ety triflanges didn't work for me. Slater70 and I have agreed to disagree on tip preference, but we agree on our opinions about the DBA's. PM me if you'd like to try something similar to the Ety tri's - I have several extra sets of Shure "large" biflanges that I could part with.

I'm also an analytical, detail-oriented engineer by trade, but that wasn't what pulled me to the DBA-02. It's the wonderful sound - just music filling and surrounding my head, no sense of the earphones.

Thanks, I will try the stock tips first to see how they fit.  I am really looking forward to hearing these for the first time... hopefully it won't be too long before they ship.

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #34 of 38
ya I hope it wont be to long either, but Im guessing were looking at at least a couple weeks from now. Hope im wrong though.

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #35 of 38

Quote:

No knock on the DBAs whatsoever, nor am I calling them a less accomplished phone by any stretch.  I think for me personally I prefer the zeroes because I find the instrument separation to be a little more clear.  I really like to be able to hear every part distinctly in a mix, and for whatever reason I find myself better able to do that with the zeroes.  Every other aspect of the DBAs is most likely superior based on my recollection (alas I do not have the luxury of being able to A/B them for two hours).  Then again, my Livewires Trips just arrived, so my guess is this is probably a moot point for me at least :)

That's pretty interesting. I never found the Zero to have great separation by any means. I find them better than most sub $100 earphones I've tried but pretty blurry in comparison to any of my good earphones on hand.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #36 of 38
Now i dont have the DBAs to compare to, but my zeros are becoming my preferred IEM.
The detail and instrument separation in mids IMO is a bit better than the RE0s and now after 100hrs i am happy also with how the bass has picked up a little.
L3000.gif

Update.
I listened to my RE0s all afternoon. Wow, I still like them.
I'll be keeping both of these IEMs.
To me the RE0s seem warmer in the bass and mids and still i sense a bit more bass quantity in the RE0s.
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #37 of 38

Quote:
Well, unless you have free shipping, the DBA-02 might go over $150.  If you are refer to Ethan's deal of $144, I was quoted $12 (but I don't know if that was in CAD or USD) to ship within Canada.  International would probably cost more.  If you take shipping into consideration, you're only stuck with the RE-Zero.

Didn't see this till now.
It's pretty crazy, shipping within Canada costs more than anywhere else in the world! Not even kidding!
Shipping to most of Canada is either $12 or $8 depending on how close/far, the US is around $7 and international is $8-9. Mind you, Canada Post does cover the largest domestic area of any postal service, and their times are nothing short of excellent in my experience, but it's still a fair chunk of change more. Oh well, you do also have the security of knowing there will be no customs.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #38 of 38

Quote:
Didn't see this till now.
It's pretty crazy, shipping within Canada costs more than anywhere else in the world! Not even kidding!
Shipping to most of Canada is either $12 or $8 depending on how close/far, the US is around $7 and international is $8-9. Mind you, Canada Post does cover the largest domestic area of any postal service, and their times are nothing short of excellent in my experience, but it's still a fair chunk of change more. Oh well, you do also have the security of knowing there will be no customs.

Haha, very true.  But, Canadian Customs are quite stingy, any "gift" over $60CAD gets subjected to tax or some other charge, free trade my foot!  But, I do trust Canada Post for international and domestic mailing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back