RE0 amped, RE-Zero, or DBA-02???
Jul 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #16 of 38
Like what else do you want to know, re real comparisons? Granted, there are not many comparisons, but I think mine was as real as I could make it. Once again, apples to apples (both getting good fit, with the right tips), the DBAs are a superior IEM to the RE-Zero in my listening experience. No, that is not a very detailed comparison, but I think the difference as I outlined it in the earlier post is my main differentiator. I just enjoy all genres of music more with the DBAs. If you can't afford the DBAs, that's different, get the Zeros.

As for the RE-0 and the Zeros, I personally would not buy the latter if I owned the former, but that's me. I have never owned the RE-0, nor heard them, but the early comparisons say the difference isn't enough to own both. Again, my opinion.

Quote:
Haha, I was hoping someone else might benefit from this discussion as well... there has been a lot of talk about the Zero's and DBA's on this forum lately but no real comparisons yet.

So far, it sounds like the extra money for the DBA's is warranted, especially for someone who already has the RE0's.

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #17 of 38

Quote:
Like what else do you want to know, re real comparisons? Granted, there are not many comparisons, but I think mine was as real as I could make it. Once again, apples to apples (both getting good fit, with the right tips), the DBAs are a superior IEM to the RE-Zero in my listening experience. No, that is not a very detailed comparison, but I think the difference as I outlined it in the earlier post is my main differentiator. I just enjoy all genres of music more with the DBAs. If you can't afford the DBAs, that's different, get the Zeros.

As for the RE-0 and the Zeros, I personally would not buy the latter if I owned the former, but that's me. I have never owned the RE-0, nor heard them, but the early comparisons say the difference isn't enough to own both. Again, my opinion.

Yep, there's really no point in getting the RE-Zero if you have the RE0.  You're not gonna get any significant improvements.  Even with the DBA-02, I wouldn't call them a vastly huge improvement either, over the RE0.  Are they better?  Maybe, depends on the listener.  If they're better, how much better are they? 

Need vs want.  If you got the cash to burn, want is good.  If not, then you don't need another one.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #18 of 38
Hey mythless, I must have missed it. Have you heard the DBA-02s? Just curious. Sounds like you have, and while I would not use the word vast to describe the difference between the DBA and the Zeros, I would say I would much rather hear the DBAs if I had the choice. But you are right, the difference is not vast, which would be more like the DBAs vs. the iBuds.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #19 of 38
I own both the re0 and the re-zeros (since I'm very partial to the HiFiman sound), and in my mind the zeros are a subtle, noticeable improvement over the 0s, especially in the lower registers, but certainly not worth dropping a hundred bucks on if you already own the re0s.  I do not own the DBAs, but I have heard them, and I have to say they are a COMPLETELY different animal.  The stock tips for them should work very nicely if you're using the stock medium single flanges; their stock single flanges are really excellent.  They are a much more "lush" sounding IEM, for lack of a better word.  If you like the analytical sound you're getting out of the 0s, the DBAs are going to be a pretty huge departure from that.  In my mind, the imaging on them is fantastic (one of my few quibbles with the 0/zero is that the soundstage feels a little claustrophobic), and they have a very balanced tone.  I did not find there was quite the same level of detail there, but it's certainly close.  The DBAs are a much more fun phone I think for the average listener.  Personally, I'm a real detail fanatic, so my preference is still the zeros, but I imagine most people would consider the DBAs to be a not insignificant upgrade.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #20 of 38

Quote:
Hey mythless, I must have missed it. Have you heard the DBA-02s? Just curious. Sounds like you have, and while I would not use the word vast to describe the difference between the DBA and the Zeros, I would say I would much rather hear the DBAs if I had the choice. But you are right, the difference is not vast, which would be more like the DBAs vs. the iBuds.

Haha, no I haven't heard the DBA-02.  I've just read all the review on them.  At one point I was vastly interested in them and thought of picking them up for myself, same with the RE-Zero.  But, since having both the RE0 and RE252, I thought to myself going for the RE-Zero and DBA-02 wouldn't be worth the price.  From what I've read, I would agree with you that the DBA-02 are probably more engaging than the RE0 and much more pleasant to listen too.

While I could buy other IEMs, such as the SM3.  I don't "need" anymore IEMs.  Haha, I'm trying to invest in some homestay gear such as source, amp, dac and headphones.  Which, I've done already thus no more income for IEMs :p

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #21 of 38
Got it. Makes sense. I ended up buying two pair of the DBAs, for fear one would go south and I would have to wait for a replacement under warranty, I like them that much. But I too am done with IEMs for the time being, as the Zeros also are very good, and getting better with burn-in, I feel.

You have a Pico Slim? Why do you need another amp? A non-portable? Also, MS1i not enough for you? I thought about moving up from my SR-80s, which are more than a decade old, but just never got there.

I had the RE-252, but could never get with the fit/design. VG sound, but the fit bugged me.

Anyway, the DBAs are a very special IEM for me, esp at the price. I had the SM3s, which you probably know, and sold them because the DBAs are more along the lines of my preferred sound sig, and not to say the SM3s were not excellent IEMs. But for more than $400, a bit too much in terms of payback. I could get the JH5s for that price, plus impressions.

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #22 of 38

Quote:
Got it. Makes sense. I ended up buying two pair of the DBAs, for fear one would go south and I would have to wait for a replacement under warranty, I like them that much. But I too am done with IEMs for the time being, as the Zeros also are very good, and getting better with burn-in, I feel.

You have a Pico Slim? Why do you need another amp? A non-portable? Also, MS1i not enough for you? I thought about moving up from my SR-80s, which are more than a decade old, but just never got there.

I had the RE-252, but could never get with the fit/design. VG sound, but the fit bugged me.

Anyway, the DBAs are a very special IEM for me, esp at the price. I had the SM3s, which you probably know, and sold them because the DBAs are more along the lines of my preferred sound sig, and not to say the SM3s were not excellent IEMs. But for more than $400, a bit too much in terms of payback. I could get the JH5s for that price, plus impressions.

The Pico Slim is a very nice amp, but yeah I'm looking at something that can drive higher impedance headphones.  The MS1i, I actually gave them to my Dad as I bought the HF2.  But now in needing of selling the HF2 to recuperate the expensive endeavers I've taken within the past 2 weeks.  I have the Ortofon O-One which I am reviewing as well the Beyer T50p on their way and another very special headphone, lol.  So right now, an amp and dac is getting quite important.

I like the sound of the RE252, but like yourself fitting was an issue.  Comply and wearing them upside down did the trick for me, despite how ugly they look, haha.  I don't know if I'd wear them outside, so I usually wear my RE0.

I thought the exact same way too regarding the SM3, but after some tinkering I manage to get the price lowered to $289USD shipped to my door, but of course duty, tax and conversion rate would probably make it $350+CAD, and I can buy 2 DBA-02 easily.  But, decided against it as I do like my RE0 and RE252.  I am sure the SM3 is a great piece of gear, but fitting issues, sealing and buying tips (much more expensive up here) was another to look past it, though if I ever find one used for a great price I'll be over it, same with the RE-Zero.  But, right now only the RE-262 interest me if I am "wanting" to get a new IEM.

Gotta take everything with a grain of salt and determine what's best for you, as the individual.  Not to mention, gotta love those bang for the buck gear!  Or be suckered in by fancy gimmicks, "Tesla Headphones," "Ultrasone housing but Ortofon selected drivers" haha.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #23 of 38

Quote:
I do not own the DBAs, but I have heard them, and I have to say they are a COMPLETELY different animal.  The stock tips for them should work very nicely if you're using the stock medium single flanges; their stock single flanges are really excellent.  They are a much more "lush" sounding IEM, for lack of a better word.  If you like the analytical sound you're getting out of the 0s, the DBAs are going to be a pretty huge departure from that.  In my mind, the imaging on them is fantastic (one of my few quibbles with the 0/zero is that the soundstage feels a little claustrophobic), and they have a very balanced tone.  I did not find there was quite the same level of detail there, but it's certainly close.  The DBAs are a much more fun phone I think for the average listener.

I kind of like the fact the DBA's may be somewhat of a departure from the sound of the RE0's and more "fun" to listen to.  If I want a more analytical sound, I will just go back to the RE0's.  So it is settled... I know I don't really need new headphones, but I have an itch for some and it doesn't hurt to have two capable pairs anyway (that is my justification for "needing" another pair) and the DBA's seem like the best choice to fit that bill.

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #24 of 38
Very good description of the DBAs vs. the Zeros, and owning both is a treat. Your take is what I would like to say, but could not figure out how to say. Typically, I do favor the DBAs for on the go listening, walking the dog, etc. When I am at home, I also love hooking the burned in Zeros to my T3 and Touch via LOD, and soaking up the detail, though losing the more fun sound of the DBAs. But it's very nice to have both. I really don't feel like I need to buy any more expensive top-tier universal IEMs, something I used to think I needed to get the best sound for me.

Update:

After a A/B last night, I have to say there isn't much missing detail-wise from the DBAs that the Zeros provide, not to my pedestrian ears at least. So while the Zeros are, as you say, a great value, to me the $50 or so is well worth it. I think the DBAs will impress more than the average listener (LFF, Joker, rawrster are three). That makes them sound like they are less accomplished in some way, but now, after two hours of back and forth, I don't hear that.

Quote:
I own both the re0 and the re-zeros (since I'm very partial to the HiFiman sound), and in my mind the zeros are a subtle, noticeable improvement over the 0s, especially in the lower registers, but certainly not worth dropping a hundred bucks on if you already own the re0s.  I do not own the DBAs, but I have heard them, and I have to say they are a COMPLETELY different animal.  The stock tips for them should work very nicely if you're using the stock medium single flanges; their stock single flanges are really excellent.  They are a much more "lush" sounding IEM, for lack of a better word.  If you like the analytical sound you're getting out of the 0s, the DBAs are going to be a pretty huge departure from that.  In my mind, the imaging on them is fantastic (one of my few quibbles with the 0/zero is that the soundstage feels a little claustrophobic), and they have a very balanced tone.  I did not find there was quite the same level of detail there, but it's certainly close.  The DBAs are a much more fun phone I think for the average listener.  Personally, I'm a real detail fanatic, so my preference is still the zeros, but I imagine most people would consider the DBAs to be a not insignificant upgrade.

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #25 of 38
You are making the right decision.

Quote:

I kind of like the fact the DBA's may be somewhat of a departure from the sound of the RE0's and more "fun" to listen to.  If I want a more analytical sound, I will just go back to the RE0's.  So it is settled... I know I don't really need new headphones, but I have an itch for some and it doesn't hurt to have two capable pairs anyway (that is my justification for "needing" another pair) and the DBA's seem like the best choice to fit that bill.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #27 of 38
I am a little intrigued by the DBA-02 reviews.
Getting them at a reasonable price to Australia without customs fees might be the only thing holding me back.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #29 of 38
I dont think so.
I think it is under $100 is no problem.
I bought a $400 camera from usa a few years ago and they got me.
I think it cost me 15% + $60 agent clearance
blink.gif
what a bummer.
My Hifiman stuff was fine as it was marked as gift value $20.
If you carry stuff into the country its $950 is duty free.
Maybe next time i fly to singapore i might pick some up.
normal_smile .gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #30 of 38

Quote:
My only concern is the stock tips.  The stock medium single flanges give me the best seal and comfort with the RE0, so I was hoping the stock mediums will work with the DBA's as well.  The fact that most use the Ety Tri's makes me think I may have to invest in some of those as well.

I'm one of those that prefer the stock medium single flange tips or Shure grey "soft flex" (very similar single flange with a tighter fit on the nozzle). Ety triflanges didn't work for me. Slater70 and I have agreed to disagree on tip preference, but we agree on our opinions about the DBA's. PM me if you'd like to try something similar to the Ety tri's - I have several extra sets of Shure "large" biflanges that I could part with.

I'm also an analytical, detail-oriented engineer by trade, but that wasn't what pulled me to the DBA-02. It's the wonderful sound - just music filling and surrounding my head, no sense of the earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back