RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Sep 11, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #2,956 of 3,674
Hi @mvvRAZ ,

Thank you for your thread. It's the only pragmatic IEM thread I can resonate with...

I think the loosening will only occur if you cable roll a lot - the different sockets are technically good for "X" insertions, and 2pin tends to have relatively fewer insertions compared to stuff like IPX. All in all though, with any IEM and any regular usage, you should be fine for years before you start encountering socket issues (as long as everything is up to spec once again)

^^ From Nic's thread, not sure if you remember I...

Anyways, I ended up switching to IPX sockets because my 2-pin sockets fell out. What a relief. I don't have to worry about reverse polarity .75mm extruded sockets anymore.

I'll be researching the A18s on this thread.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #2,957 of 3,674
1631608348173.png

IE900 infographic now up!

Personal feelings on the IEM: huge love on first sight for me. I really liked the IER Z1R back in the day, but it had a touch too much upper mids and lower treble (or well, quite a bit too much for me), and the IE900 manages to address that. The contrast between the upper midrange and the treble is quite pronounced, and I've heard other Head-Fiers mention that it gives them a sense of brightness as a result.

I personally find the gap between the midrange and the treble to be on the pleasant side of "slightly weird" since it gives the treble a lot of definition, presence and attention - the cymbals sit directly in front of the vocals which really helps the staging with a sense of exactly where each instrument is positioned

Overall, one of the best things I've heard at any price point and cannot help but highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #2,958 of 3,674
1631608348173.png

Personal feelings on the IEM: huge love on first sight for me. I really liked the IER Z1R back in the day, but it had a touch too much upper mids and lower treble (or well, quite a bit too much for me), and the IE900 manages to address that. The contrast between the upper midrange and the treble is quite pronounced, and I've heard other Head-Fiers mention that it gives them a sense of brightness as a result.

I personally find the gap between the midrange and the treble to be on the pleasant side of "slightly weird" since it gives the treble a lot of definition, presence and attention - the cymbals sit directly in front of the vocals which really helps the staging with a sense of exactly where each instrument is positioned

Overall, one of the best things I've heard at any price point and cannot help but highly recommend it.
Great summary, dovetails with how I hear it. Only differences of opinion is fit (spot on perfect for my ears), and it doesn't have as much treble or midbass bloat as Noir. Glad I can tick the Z1R off my list now. 😁

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #2,959 of 3,674
1631608348173.png

Loving the infographic!

Ok great, despite my concerns about the fit and the less than great looks, in my opinion of course, it seems like I really need to hear this one... :sweat_smile: :sunglasses:

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #2,960 of 3,674
1631608348173.png

Great review, this format is ideal for my tiny attention span! :)

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #2,961 of 3,674
1631608348173.png

Agree with everything: outstanding IEMs on every level! Love at first sight for me, too, and the love has only blossomed the more time I spend with them. They seem to pair nicely with every genre thrown at them.

I like this format, too. You have all the essential impressions without the fluff.

For 3rd party cables, I can recommend Brise, though the memory wire requires some tweaking. Plussound also do plugs for the IE900, which are almost certainly very good.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #2,962 of 3,674

Nice one. I agree with pretty much everything.

The two things that you note are the two things that unfortunately made me have to sell it - the fit (no tips I tried to get a comfortable fit which seals and stays sealed) and the vocal brightness (not often but affects me as I am sensitive and listen to a lot of female vocal which are particularly prone). If you aren't affect by these, they certainly knocked it out the park.

The one area I think it does not excel fully at is stage - in terms of width and layering. It is very good but not "amazing". Put it another way, the word "holographic" never came to mind during my listening sessions. I think that ties in to your comment about depth? Worth noting if you are used the capabilities of the Fourte or Noir et al.

That said, the fact we are talking about those kinds of IEMs together with this one at $1300 speaks volumes.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #2,963 of 3,674
1631608348173.png

Great stuff, man :) agree with your findings and I thoroughly enjoy IE900 too. It’s kinda killed a lot of other IEM’s for me and one of the few that I reach for these days. For the comparatively low price, it’s basically a no-brainer.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #2,964 of 3,674
For 3rd party cables, I can recommend Brise, though the memory wire requires some tweaking. Plussound also do plugs for the IE900, which are almost certainly very good.
I'll be cable rolling this weekend with my @doctorjuggles x @EffectAudio Cardas Clear ConX cable and the Cleo ConX too. Will cross-post impressions here.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #2,966 of 3,674
I must be the only one that is happy with the stock cable, lol. I cable rolled with my Effect Audio cables but reverted back to stock a little while ago.

I just find it very comfortable and the ear hooks help to hold the small shells in place. Haven’t noticed too much microphonics either. 🤷‍♂️

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #2,967 of 3,674
I must be the only one that is happy with the stock cable, lol. I cable rolled with my Effect Audio cables but reverted back to stock a little while ago.

I just find it very comfortable and the ear hooks help to hold the small shells in place. Haven’t noticed too much microphonics either. 🤷‍♂️
Definitely no issue with the sound of the stock cable, I just found it a bit microphonic and the texture a little annoying - almost a bit sticky. The ear hooks, I agree, do work well, though.

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #2,968 of 3,674

I have no issues with the stock cable either - in fact I find it excellent, and the design is custom made for the shells. A touch microphonic on insertion, but no real issues unless you tend to rub your cables like a genie lamp while in use. I'm only rolling out of curiosity, not necessity (and the fact that Cardas copper uses voodoo magic).

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #2,969 of 3,674
1631608348173.png

Awesome work again 😁
Edit : z1r 2.0 wow 🤩
Edit2: does the tips have some kind of foam in it ?? Can I have some pics if possible?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #2,970 of 3,674

No issue with stock cable, but I like my cables thick and shiny 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back