RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Jan 6, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,291 of 3,674
Mike , sell all those overrated andromeada iems and get this one (seeing you have a money tree as @Wyville said)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-r10-bass-light-versiom.951096/#post-16087599

selling for just 4K (and i saw one selling for more than 8K some weeks back)

Bargain, and must be one hell of a headphone.
Biggest issue with these is that the driver degrades with usage, so one that’s a few decades old should be nearing the end of its useful life

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #1,292 of 3,674
Biggest issue with these is that the driver degrades with usage, so one that’s a few decades old should be nearing the end of its useful life

This is why I only ever burn in my IEMs when I get them, then I put them back in their box and never use them again. Et voila - always in the best possible sonic condition.

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,293 of 3,674
This is why I only ever burn in my IEMs when I get them, then I put them back in their box and never use them again. Et voila - always in the best possible sonic condition.
Purchased post impression put up for sale

Rinse and repeat

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,295 of 3,674
I need to revisit the 2020 andromeda, it’s been a while since I heard it and it’s entirely possible that I remember it being better than it actually was. It might be that the thinner tuning and smaller notes created a better sense of space which the MW10 feels like it’s lacking in
I would agree with that assesment based on what I remember between the 2. The tuning on the MW10 makes the stage feel not as big since the notes are bigger and fuller and create the feeling of a smaller space. Whereas the 2020 makes better use of the same space by having thinner notes.

I’ve got the 2020 and MW10 on hand and have been comparing the two. They are very similar to my ears. The soundstage and technicalities are almost identical. But I’ve come to the conclusion that @mvvRAZ and I hear soundstage quite differently. The andromeda’s (all variants I’ve heard) soundstage sounds large and expansive to me, with the MW10 being no exception. But like anything in this hobby, ymmv :)
Yup, in the technical sense I ranked them the same. A lot of asian reviews of the MW10 indicate the same as well. The perception of the stage seems tied to the musicality of the tuning than any technical flaw.

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #1,296 of 3,674
Luxury and Precision P6 Pro... One for the hardcore audiophiles

This time around I'll specifically start with the negatives, and by the time you're done reading those you'll probably already be on a different thread entirely reading impressions of someone who has it together.
  • Terrible UI. Lotoo have a really basic UI that has been executed extremely well. You can easily access folders, settings, it's all lightning quick, without any scrolling lag on jaggedness. The P6 Pro has a similarly (but realistically even more) basic UI, that unfortunately doesn't come close to the convenience of Lotoo's UI. You don't have a drag down menu to change the gain or lock or any of the settings so you have to go all the way back to the main window to get anything done, and then all the way back to the main window to go back to your folders or artists or whatever
  • Generally terrible software. There is a file somewhere in my library that's forcing the P6 Pro to restart itself, so I've had to break my library down in smaller folders in the hope of finding it. It's still a bit of a needle in a haystack situation, but so far I've accessed a bunch of folders without having the whole restart issue
  • Settings keep resetting themselves. I've had to tell it that the volume wheel is NOT to be used as a scrolling wheel a solid 5-6 times now but alas, the P6 Pro seems to be suffering from some sort of memory loss and I suspect that we will be going over the whole "Do not scroll" lesson many more times in the future. Update: It seems like ever since it stopped restarting itself when I open the chubby folder it's also stopped resetting its settings
  • It's rather big. It's about as wide and thick as the LPGT (both with a case on), but it is taller. In winter that's not an issue as I constantly wear jackets but I think I might have some trouble fitting it all in my pockets in summer as I always have my DAP with me no matter where I go
  • The touchscreen is kinda random. Sometimes when I unlock it just jumps to some option on the main window, almost as if it is telling me there is some secred buried in there that I need to discover.
It also retails at 3800$.

You don't need to say it, I get it - companies like iBasso, HiBy, FiiO etc etc offer a disproportionately better UX at a fraction of the cost, but hear me out

This little PoS delivers the most sublime, technical-yet-forgiving, over the top experience out of (I **** you not) every and any DAC/amp combination I have heard to date. I'm not talking about "best sounding DAP" - I'm comparing the P6 Pro to my desktop setups and it's giving them inferiority complexes. In a sense, if you spend a little over 3 grand on this, you're fully committing to a DAP on sound and build quality alone. I am personally happy with that, since I don't really use streaming on my DAPs, and my use case is usually just opening a folder and clicking play (mind you it took me a day to get that to work), so if your use is even a little more sophisticated, you can scratch the P6 Pro and move on a richer man

On the sound - nothing short of phenomenal, and in the interest of a full bias disclosure, the signature is one that works especially well for me - if you're looking for more bright, revealing and in your face sound you can sit this one out

I'd personally define it as a mostly neutral DAP, with some warmth throughout the midrange and some sparkle to the treble. This is something that I experienced consistently when trying it out with different monitors like the Sultan, Thummim, Gae Bolg, A18S and MW10. I personally don't find the LPGT to be pronouncedly mid-forward, but the P6 Pro pulls vocals further back to where they feel very in line with the performance, and you get this extremely forgiving and pleasant sound. The way it compensates for a less resolving tonality is by being an absolute beast where technical ability is concerned

I usually like to single out a specific trait that stands out, but I'm struggling here - between the vast staging, pitch black background and out-of-this-world texture, I really couldn't tell you which one I love most. It does all three better than anything I've heard before, and gives IEMs this overloaded sense of depth and space while maintaining a gooey warmth and texture to the midrange.

I also love that the coloration is more qualitative than it is quantitative. The WM1Z also has that insane texture going for it, but it adds a ton of bass and a fair bit of treble so it ends up being quite hard to really judge the qualities of the wmonitor you have hooked up to it. The P6 Pro gives the IEMs more space to perform without messing with their tonality too much (or at all really), but only improving their technical ability, musicality and general enjoyability. Going back to the LPGT after a few days with the P6 Pro makes it feel quite dry and lacklustre in comparison, especially where texture is concerned.

Overall, the P6 Pro has a pitch black background, with exceptional dynamics, massive staging, awesome detail and very pleasant, slightly warm and forgiving tonality. To top it off the texture it brings out of IEMs makes a texture person like myself drool

Can I recommend it? I've always aimed to transmit what a product is like, and whether it feels good to own. If you simply consider the first half, the P6 Pro is a mediocre DAP that sounds exceptional. It has however made me happier than mostly anything I've purchased recently, and if it can impress you half as much as it impressed me, I'd say it is absolutely 100% worth it.

Shoutout to @MusicTeck for the quick shipping and excellent service!

CB009E91-8F07-4B55-88C9-2E8C81055ED5.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #1,297 of 3,674

This time around I'll specifically start with the negatives, and by the time you're done reading those you'll probably already be on a different thread entirely reading impressions of someone who has it together.
  • Terrible UI. Lotoo have a really basic UI that has been executed extremely well. You can easily access folders, settings, it's all lightning quick, without any scrolling lag on jaggedness. The P6 Pro has a similarly (but realistically even more) basic UI, that unfortunately doesn't come close to the convenience of Lotoo's UI. You don't have a drag down menu to change the gain or lock or any of the settings so you have to go all the way back to the main window to get anything done, and then all the way back to the main window to go back to your folders or artists or whatever
  • Generally terrible software. There is a file somewhere in my library that's forcing the P6 Pro to restart itself, so I've had to break my library down in smaller folders in the hope of finding it. It's still a bit of a needle in a haystack situation, but so far I've accessed a bunch of folders without having the whole restart issue
  • Settings keep resetting themselves. I've had to tell it that the volume wheel is NOT to be used as a scrolling wheel a solid 5-6 times now but alas, the P6 Pro seems to be suffering from some sort of memory loss and I suspect that we will be going over the whole "Do not scroll" lesson many more times in the future. Update: It seems like ever since it stopped restarting itself when I open the chubby folder it's also stopped resetting its settings
  • It's rather big. It's about as wide and thick as the LPGT (both with a case on), but it is taller. In winter that's not an issue as I constantly wear jackets but I think I might have some trouble fitting it all in my pockets in summer as I always have my DAP with me no matter where I go
  • The touchscreen is kinda random. Sometimes when I unlock it just jumps to some option on the main window, almost as if it is telling me there is some secred buried in there that I need to discover.

You don't need to say it, I get it - companies like iBasso, HiBy, FiiO etc etc offer a disproportionately better UX at a fraction of the cost, but hear me out

This little PoS delivers the most sublime, technical-yet-forgiving, over the top experience out of (I **** you not) every and any DAC/amp combination I have heard to date. I'm not talking about "best sounding DAP" - I'm comparing the P6 Pro to my desktop setups and it's giving them inferiority complexes. In a sense, if you spend a little over 3 grand on this, you're fully committing to a DAP on sound and build quality alone. I am personally happy with that, since I don't really use streaming on my DAPs, and my use case is usually just opening a folder and clicking play (mind you it took me a day to get that to work), so if your use is even a little more sophisticated, you can scratch the P6 Pro and move on a richer man

On the sound - nothing short of phenomenal, and in the interest of a full bias disclosure, the signature is one that works especially well for me - if you're looking for more bright, revealing and in your face sound you can sit this one out

I'd personally define it as a mostly neutral DAP, with some warmth throughout the midrange and some sparkle to the treble. This is something that I experienced consistently when trying it out with different monitors like the Sultan, Thummim, Gae Bolg, A18S and MW10. I personally don't find the LPGT to be pronouncedly mid-forward, but the P6 Pro pulls vocals further back to where they feel very in line with the performance, and you get this extremely forgiving and pleasant sound. The way it compensates for a less resolving tonality is by being an absolute beast where technical ability is concerned

I usually like to single out a specific trait that stands out, but I'm struggling here - between the vast staging, pitch black background and out-of-this-world texture, I really couldn't tell you which one I love most. It does all three better than anything I've heard before, and gives IEMs this overloaded sense of depth and space while maintaining a gooey warmth and texture to the midrange.

I also love that the coloration is more qualitative than it is quantitative. The WM1Z also has that insane texture going for it, but it adds a ton of bass and a fair bit of treble so it ends up being quite hard to really judge the qualities of the wmonitor you have hooked up to it. The P6 Pro gives the IEMs more space to perform without messing with their tonality too much (or at all really), but only improving their technical ability, musicality and general enjoyability. Going back to the LPGT after a few days with the P6 Pro makes it feel quite dry and lacklustre in comparison, especially where texture is concerned.

Overall, the P6 Pro has a pitch black background, with exceptional dynamics, massive staging, awesome detail and very pleasant, slightly warm and forgiving tonality. To top it off the texture it brings out of IEMs makes a texture person like myself drool

Can I recommend you? I've always aimed to transmit what a product is like, and whether it feels good to own. If you simply consider the first half, the P6 Pro is a mediocre DAP that sounds exceptional. It has however made me happier than mostly anything I've purchased recently, and if it can impress you half as much as it impressed me, I'd say it is absolutely 100% worth it.

IMG_3817.jpg

Thanks for the impressions Michael. Did you get to try it with Diana Phi?

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #1,298 of 3,674

Can I recommend you? I've always aimed to transmit what a product is like, and whether it feels good to own. If you simply consider the first half, the P6 Pro is a mediocre DAP that sounds exceptional. It has however made me happier than mostly anything I've purchased recently, and if it can impress you half as much as it impressed me, I'd say it is absolutely 100% worth it.

IMG_3817.jpg
Outstanding review Michael. I was out after your first negative (for me a DAP is as much about the experience, speed and visual goodness as it is about sonic performance), but I'm glad that a high-end true R2R dap exists and sounds as good as a true R2R dap should (I'm looking at you, R2R2000, you horrible thing).

Hopefully this type of sound will filter downward until we get the best of both worlds in a modern Android R2R flagship dap for more-or-less reasonable money.

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #1,299 of 3,674

None of the youngins realize foam doesn’t last forever. Put foam in a humid climate and it eventually turns to a liquid in a couple years. Ahh...... idealism of youth, so charming! :)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #1,300 of 3,674
Thanks for the impressions Michael. Did you get to try it with Diana Phi?
Haven’t tried it yet and I haven’t read the power specs but I’ll give it a go and update you!

Outstanding review Michael. I was out after your first negative (for me a DAP is as much about the experience, speed and visual goodness as it is about sonic performance), but I'm glad that a high-end true R2R dap exists and sounds as good as a true R2R dap should (I'm looking at you, R2R2000, you horrible thing).

Hopefully this type of sound will filter downward until we get the best of both worlds in a modern Android R2R flagship dap for more-or-less reasonable money.
It’s my first R2R DAC and I’m hooked. Giving the tech more spotlight would go a long way in having more options I agree, gotta start somewhere!

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #1,301 of 3,674
Haven’t tried it yet and I haven’t read the power specs but I’ll give it a go and update you!

Thanks!

It’s my first R2R DAC and I’m hooked. Giving the tech more spotlight would go a long way in having more options I agree, gotta start somewhere!

Perhaps it’s time to try Holo Spring 2 KTE (or even the May) :wink:

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #1,302 of 3,674
Thanks!

Perhaps it’s time to try Holo Spring 2 KTE (or even the May) :wink:
I’d love one but they’re huuuge - I’m not even close to having the space for one :D

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #1,303 of 3,674
R2R was my go-to for the desktop. Delta Sigma DACs be we even came close to that warm but still detailed and organic sound of a well-implemented R2R design. That's why I tend to favour more organic sounding DAPs too.

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #1,304 of 3,674
R2R was my go-to for the desktop. Delta Sigma DACs be we even came close to that warm but still detailed and organic sound of a well-implemented R2R design. That's why I tend to favour more organic sounding DAPs too.
Try the LP W2 when it launches! I heard that it shares LP’s sound signature of the DAPs but in a small form factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back