RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Sep 17, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #541 of 3,674
I heard it's insanely sibilant though? And once you kinda take out all warmth and body from a dynamic driver, what are you really left with? :D

I didn't find it especially sibilant; I imagine this is going to be one of those things dependent on seal and tip type (e.g. foam vs silicone).

I guess someone who likes a more neutral-reference style sound might find a lot to love about the A8000.
I wasn't actually trying to persuade you to like/try it, so much as just sharing the positive thoughts I had about it whilst acknowledging what (for me) were the negatives :)

One caveat is that I never tried it with other cables, since at that time I didn't have any MMCX cables.
I imagine something like the Lionheart or Socrates might make it more universally appealing, but I guess I'll never know :D

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #542 of 3,674
Your question was motivation to take pics of my Cardas Clear (1950 wire) and Cardas Clear Light 2 wire (1960 wire). I am finding they both are of course wonderful. It is all about the synergy though. I have tried both cables on IEMs where really nothing wonderful happened. But when the synergy is there. Wow!!!

The Cardas Clear is more neutral and takes the IEM for what it is and takes it to another level. It is analogous to looking through glass. With the 1950 the sound of the IEM is like looking through pristine glass. No distortions at all. Perfectly clear. Like looking at the difference of eating dinner at a restaurant on the beach. The windows are closed and all is wonderful. But when the waiter comes over and opens the sliding doors then all is experiences at another level. All senses are affected in a good way.

To me the Cardas Clear Light colors a little bit. It does a little bit what a wonderful silver cable can do. It tightens things up in certain places like treble and bass but the copper still allows everything to breath. With the wrong IEM the only issue I have run into is it makes the mids a little thin IMHO. The Cardas Clear Light is both tight and warm.

Like I wrote above, it is about the synergy with the IEM. And of course the source. Right now they have an excellent synergy with the LX and Sultan.

The second picture is of my Zephyr with the Rhapsodio Copper Wizard MK2 two wire. One of my favorite cables. It is copper and is shielded so is a bit thicker than the 1960 and not as amazingly ergonomic as the 1960. The 1960 drapes like a Hermes scarf (ok that was a bit much but you get the idea).

The CW MK2 is like the 1960 but is even more like a silver cable. It tightens everything up. Neutral tight! Allows more separation of notes.

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

From things I've read on Head-Fi, I have some awareness that one company (Cardas) makes awesome wires, and these wires are used in the PW Audio 1950 and 1960.
But you're referring to some Cardas cables.
Do Cardas sell their own cables? Or can budding cable makers buy wire from them?
Just wondering if I can get that 1950/60 cable sound at a more accessible price (and better appearance) :D

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #543 of 3,674
From things I've read on Head-Fi, I have some awareness that one company (Cardas) makes awesome wires, and these wires are used in the PW Audio 1950 and 1960.
But you're referring to some Cardas cables.
Do Cardas sell their own cables? Or can budding cable makers buy wire from them?
Just wondering if I can get that 1950/60 cable sound at a more accessible price (and better appearance) :D
The trouble with the 1950s and 1960s wire is that Cardas sells them only as 1000m rolls. The wire itself isn’t like brutally expensive, but the fact that it’s so hard to get by anyone but the larger cable makers is what makes it so exclusive

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #545 of 3,674
I didn't find it especially sibilant; I imagine this is going to be one of those things dependent on seal and tip type (e.g. foam vs silicone).

I guess someone who likes a more neutral-reference style sound might find a lot to love about the A8000.
I wasn't actually trying to persuade you to like/try it, so much as just sharing the positive thoughts I had about it whilst acknowledging what (for me) were the negatives :)

One caveat is that I never tried it with other cables, since at that time I didn't have any MMCX cables.
I imagine something like the Lionheart or Socrates might make it more universally appealing, but I guess I'll never know :D
Oh no I'm definitely interested in trying it, as I am interested in trying anything else! It's just not a particularly in demand item on the second hand market, so I'd only really demo it as opposed to jumping in blind

Things I am hearing about PW 1950s wire just hearing all these comments!
Granted I've never tried the 1950s, but I've seen it and it looked super stiff to me. I'm generally speaking especially particular about cable looks and feel, so it's a pass from me - especially once we surpass the 1500$ mark I expect something truly unique

That's just me and cables though, I feel like the sound improvements are pretty subtle for the most part so I tend to be able to justify them only if I feel like I'm getting something truly special in return

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #546 of 3,674
Granted I've never tried the 1950s, but I've seen it and it looked super stiff to me. I'm generally speaking especially particular about cable looks and feel, so it's a pass from me - especially once we surpass the 1500$ mark I expect something truly unique

That's just me and cables though, I feel like the sound improvements are pretty subtle for the most part so I tend to be able to justify them only if I feel like I'm getting something truly special in return

Are there cables from other vendors that comes close to the PW 1950s?

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #548 of 3,674
Would love to hear the M5 at some point because I am quite curious how those compare to the M4. If you ever want to try the M4 just let me know, although I think they might be too thin/bright for your preferences (at least compared to the Thummim), especially with a brighter source.

FiR is coming with something new soon:

I have an M5 up for sale actually. Funny enough to your guys comments, I went from a custom to a universal. Their universal just fits so well one of the best fitting IEMs to me.

My problems with custom -
Shell, I broke the shell once with just clacking them together. I do not like feeling like I need to baby my IEMs and can't just use them whenever I want wherever I am. I don't throw them around but sometimes I take them off and hang them on my neck or set them on a counter for a minute or just normal life things.. I can't always be fearful of breaking them and thus never use them.
Second, sound. The bass was way too overpowering in the custom. And I didn't get the adjustable module custom so I was stuck with the module I had. I know this varies based on ear size but I guess my ears are rather large because my shells were huge. And I always had a very overpowering bass in my custom that took much from the spacious presentation.

Universal fixed this. You are correct, FiR using tubeless is a great design for low end frequencies. Low end waveforms are very long waveforms and take a lot of space in a room to fully complete their wave cycle, this is why often 2 channel speakers will not produce bass accurately. If the room isn't big enough the waveform hits a wall and will bounce back against itself before completing it's wave cycle, thus creating Phase filtering and cutting out even more of the sound. And if the room is too large, the listener will not experience so much the impact and power of low end though they'll hear it's complete sound just without the density.

In IEMs it's very very difficult to get true low end and bass. To me, the M5 is the best low end I have ever heard. Full stop. To as close to proper reproduction of low end and thuroughly enjoyable. However, at times it isn't as fast as needed if you're listening to complex metal or high speed rock etc with lots of kicks, it seems to not keep fully up and misses punchiness of many of the hits. The Nio is more responsive in this area.

The second thing about the M5 to me, the size of the soundstage. Width and depth. When I first got the M5 I demo's nearly every single high end IEM in Asia at the end of 2019 and settled on the M5 because it was at the time nearly the best for my tastes. But when I heard the Nio, I though most of the M5 I prefer over it, one thing stood out to me. The size of the soundstage and how it helped give everything amazing space that just added to the music. Lacking Estats was important to me, I became in love with the sound done properly, but the M5 didn't have the same large soundstage and I just kept realizing how everything felt cut closer and thus sometimes could feel a bit congested. Not by technicality was it congested, just by the fact that it could have used more space. Thus my hunt resumed this year with the M5 going up for sale. Though I love the durability and the customer service of FiR, (I think FiR is representing what should be industry standards, longest warranty of 3 years, high insertion ration of over 5k on their RCX connectors, best stock cable to come with IEM, and amazing service team, they set the standard to me.) I just wanted more space and the Sultan definitely has it in spades.
The Sultan's low end doesn't best the M5 but it does good enough withing it's whole sonic landscape that I've been quite happy with it. I still am addicted to slightly more honey mid range vocals and such like with the Elysium, but as a whole package the Sultan has been the best I've had hands in yet to my tastes.

My perfect IEM is basically a Elysium with DD low end.
Estat highs (Done right, BA just doesn't sound as good anymore), DD low (As an engineer I am too aware of good low end, BA does not trick me no matter how good I am used to real air and space)
And honey silky mids - DD here is an amazing choice but you have to blend it with a DD low for me, or something like open cap BA I have been thinking might do it close enough.
And finally, very large and spacious soundstage that will accurately represent the room of the recording. Not artificially exaggerated where you get singers pulled way back in the mix when they're not meant to, but also not limited where everything sits withing a certain width infront of you - I desire truly all around you and extending well past your eyes periferals.

As close to that as possible has been my goal and then I stick with and am a happy bear :)

- @Wyville if you want to demo an M5 we could maybe set something up before I've got it sold, not sure how well itd go though because I'm currently in US, idk if that's an issue

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #549 of 3,674
I have an M5 up for sale actually. Funny enough to your guys comments, I went from a custom to a universal. Their universal just fits so well one of the best fitting IEMs to me.

My problems with custom -
Shell, I broke the shell once with just clacking them together. I do not like feeling like I need to baby my IEMs and can't just use them whenever I want wherever I am. I don't throw them around but sometimes I take them off and hang them on my neck or set them on a counter for a minute or just normal life things.. I can't always be fearful of breaking them and thus never use them.
Second, sound. The bass was way too overpowering in the custom. And I didn't get the adjustable module custom so I was stuck with the module I had. I know this varies based on ear size but I guess my ears are rather large because my shells were huge. And I always had a very overpowering bass in my custom that took much from the spacious presentation.

Universal fixed this. You are correct, FiR using tubeless is a great design for low end frequencies. Low end waveforms are very long waveforms and take a lot of space in a room to fully complete their wave cycle, this is why often 2 channel speakers will not produce bass accurately. If the room isn't big enough the waveform hits a wall and will bounce back against itself before completing it's wave cycle, thus creating Phase filtering and cutting out even more of the sound. And if the room is too large, the listener will not experience so much the impact and power of low end though they'll hear it's complete sound just without the density.

In IEMs it's very very difficult to get true low end and bass. To me, the M5 is the best low end I have ever heard. Full stop. To as close to proper reproduction of low end and thuroughly enjoyable. However, at times it isn't as fast as needed if you're listening to complex metal or high speed rock etc with lots of kicks, it seems to not keep fully up and misses punchiness of many of the hits. The Nio is more responsive in this area.

The second thing about the M5 to me, the size of the soundstage. Width and depth. When I first got the M5 I demo's nearly every single high end IEM in Asia at the end of 2019 and settled on the M5 because it was at the time nearly the best for my tastes. But when I heard the Nio, I though most of the M5 I prefer over it, one thing stood out to me. The size of the soundstage and how it helped give everything amazing space that just added to the music. Lacking Estats was important to me, I became in love with the sound done properly, but the M5 didn't have the same large soundstage and I just kept realizing how everything felt cut closer and thus sometimes could feel a bit congested. Not by technicality was it congested, just by the fact that it could have used more space. Thus my hunt resumed this year with the M5 going up for sale. Though I love the durability and the customer service of FiR, (I think FiR is representing what should be industry standards, longest warranty of 3 years, high insertion ration of over 5k on their RCX connectors, best stock cable to come with IEM, and amazing service team, they set the standard to me.) I just wanted more space and the Sultan definitely has it in spades.
The Sultan's low end doesn't best the M5 but it does good enough withing it's whole sonic landscape that I've been quite happy with it. I still am addicted to slightly more honey mid range vocals and such like with the Elysium, but as a whole package the Sultan has been the best I've had hands in yet to my tastes.

My perfect IEM is basically a Elysium with DD low end.
Estat highs (Done right, BA just doesn't sound as good anymore), DD low (As an engineer I am too aware of good low end, BA does not trick me no matter how good I am used to real air and space)
And honey silky mids - DD here is an amazing choice but you have to blend it with a DD low for me, or something like open cap BA I have been thinking might do it close enough.
And finally, very large and spacious soundstage that will accurately represent the room of the recording. Not artificially exaggerated where you get singers pulled way back in the mix when they're not meant to, but also not limited where everything sits withing a certain width infront of you - I desire truly all around you and extending well past your eyes periferals.

As close to that as possible has been my goal and then I stick with and am a happy bear :)

- @Wyville if you want to demo an M5 we could maybe set something up before I've got it sold, not sure how well itd go though because I'm currently in US, idk if that's an issue
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks also for the generous offer, but I honestly would not take the risk because I am located in Europe and posting parcels between the EU and US can be risky or at times it just takes forever, almost like they gave some poor postman a rowing boat to do the journey. I also have contact with the Dutch distributor for FiR Audio and so might be able to borrow an M5 demo unit at some point.

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #550 of 3,674
Uuuu we can maybe do a short exchange - something like Elegia and Elear for M4, and swap back in a couple of weeks!

Yeah I saw that but apparently it's a HK edition :frowning2: we're so overlooked here in the EU
Think you’re overlooked in the EU, try coming to the US...

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #552 of 3,674
The trouble with the 1950s and 1960s wire is that Cardas sells them only as 1000m rolls. The wire itself isn’t like brutally expensive, but the fact that it’s so hard to get by anyone but the larger cable makers is what makes it so exclusive
Although I do not think this would work in case of cardas clear wires (those used in PW 1950s), which seem pretty pricy no matter how you find them, cardas does make and sell headphone cables made from their clear light wires (what’s in 1960s), and you can get them on Amazon for around $200 for an 8 foot cable. I have often wondered about what you’d end up with if you just bought one of those, snipped off the connectors at both ends, cut it in half (to get two 4ft cables) and adding connectors of choice. At least theoretically, that could net you two cables with the same conductors as 1960s for conservatively ~$300. I’ve never had the gusto to go ahead and try doing this myself (particularly given my limited soldering prowess to put it mildly), but it has always struck me as potentially a super deal for someone with diy cable skills

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #553 of 3,674
I couldn’t let @Wyville have all the fun so I’ve ordered an Abyss Diana V2!

I just got back to my Elear and I’m really enjoying it - I was told the Diana V2 had some similarities...

It’s a ritual performed every few months where I buy a headphone for a stupid amount of money only for it to collect dust

Think you’re overlooked in the EU, try coming to the US...
You guys have like 4 actually good IEM dealers. The Odin dealer in the UK is selling it for 4900$ don’t complain :D

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #554 of 3,674
I couldn’t let @Wyville have all the fun so I’ve ordered an Abyss Diana V2!

I just got back to my Elear and I’m really enjoying it - I was told the Diana V2 had some similarities...

It’s a ritual performed every few months where I buy a headphone for a stupid amount of money only for it to collect dust

Which amp are you gonna use to drive the V2?

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #555 of 3,674
Which amp are you gonna use to drive the V2?
LPGT - I don’t really use headphones when I’m sitting down as much, I mostly have them while doing something at home, cooking etc - so they need to be at least drivable by DAPs. Might get a Kann Alpha if the power is insufficient but I doubt it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back