RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Sep 15, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #481 of 3,674
That's basically how I consider dynamic range. If you think about dynamic range in a camera, in a nutshell it's the ability of the sensor to replicate the lightest and darkest parts of an image. So musically, it would be the range between the quietest and loudest parts of the music. In the image below, the blue line would be more dynamic as the red is more compressed (less range between the loudest and quietest).

1600204589542.png

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #483 of 3,674
I’d happily have someone correct me here if I’m wrong as this is something I’ve started identifying more recently, but -

Dynamics in general are how well an IEM presents louder and quieter sounds within a performance. IEMs with especially bad dynamics will present everything with a similar if not the same volume so you end up unable to identify individual instruments or sounds as clearly

I think (and this is a theory at this stage) that especially good dynamics result in what people call a dark, or black soundstage. Need to do some more listening before I can link those two though
there is 2 types of dynamic.

Macro dynamic, can be considered as dynamic range.

Micro dynamic, that is more complex and closely linked to ADSR envelope and transient.

Maybe @Deezel177 can tell us more about it.

Both play a role for me in what I call the magic square :
"Resolution is the ability to individualize a voice or instrument"
"Separation is the ability to feel space between the various sound sources"
"Definition is the ability to perceive as much information as possible"
"Transparency is the ability to transcribe the nuances and subtleties of music"

But frequency response plays a role there too, and surely other stuff.

Sep 15, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #484 of 3,674
From an audio engineer perspective -

Dynamics are the variations in level/volume in the audio signal and musical partd like a recording of piano, vocal tracks or guitars range from loud to soft over the course of, say, a song. The upper and lower limits of that variation {the difference between the loudest and softest levels} is the Dynamic Range.

The previous graph showing wave signals is a good representation of dynamics. When we look at audio waveforms the ability for wave forms to fully express themselves without being cut off by any interference or compression, the waves will vary greatly from low wave peak to high with all the instrumentation and such presented in the music. Often times, limiters, compression, and gear like mics, dacs, etc - can cut off the full potential of a audio wave. Thus limiting it's dynamic range.

Actually, this is often done with music set for radio. You can see songs mixed for radio fall within a set range and have their upper and lower wave forms just cut off. They're compressed specifically to enhance loudness so the track appears to sound "better" for listeners on the radio. What's actually happening is much of the musician and their instruments are being cut off from fully expressing their voicings. So - something with better dynamics and dynamic range, will have the ability to offer a more complete voicing of the original instrument. A songs specific dynamic range is its highest peak wave point, to it's lowest peak wave point.

The ability for gear such as headphones and speakers to have good 'dynamics' generally is the response time of the transducer being moved and how rapidly it can articulate each waveform to it's true complete form. To help example this - picture a normal paper cone speaker. You watch the cone move back and forth very quickly to the music. If you're listening to a track that has many instruments and sounds all over the frequency range going all at once, that speaker cone is moving as fast as it can to reproduce every single audio signal from low powerful waveforms to high very rapid waveforms. In many cases it is not accurately displaying all of those sounds - because it PHYSICALLY can't. The cone is being pushed out by air to reproduce one part of the waveform and then relaxes back in, there is physics involved in how fast it needs to move to reproduce each frequency accurately. If the speaker cone is flexing outward at this current moment, it's not moving inward. Thus, in complex passages, there are some frequencies that are requiring the speaker to move at s certain pace that's very rapid, and others that's more slow. It cannot achieve both at the same exact second because its physical shape can only move to a certain maximum speed and capacity.

Even with low end reproduction, you can have a powerful cone that's pushing large volumes of sir to reproduce low end frequencies very well, but s flute is playing at the same time in the song, if the speaker is flexing outwards to play the low end note, low and slow, it's not also properly flexing super rapidly for the high note. Thus, you get frequencies of sounds that might be in the music but simply not being reproduced by the speaker.

This is why we developed different cones or transducers to play different parts of the frequency range at the same time. So more of the dynamics of the music can be expressed all at once because one speaker isn't responsible for the full range of sounds which it literally and physically cannot reproduce all at once no matter how good it is.

So, for something to have good dynamics, it has the ability to properly display the sounds of the quietest instrument to the loudest, the fastest to the softest - all at the exact same moment - as is displayed in the original recording.

- which, just to add to the information dump, often times the microphones we record with aren't even fully picking up all the dynamics of even a single instrument it's recording. It too has diaphragm that is moving in physical space this has its limitations of how quick or slow it can move and the more sounds it's trying to pick up at once - the more physically impossible it becomes for the microphone to move to register all of the sounds. Thus, even recordings are missing much of true dynamic range. It's just physics, we have not yet s perfect solution. Just an ever expanding quest to get better recording and then playback

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #486 of 3,674
From an audio engineer perspective -

Dynamics are the variations in level/volume in the audio signal and musical partd like a recording of piano, vocal tracks or guitars range from loud to soft over the course of, say, a song. The upper and lower limits of that variation {the difference between the loudest and softest levels} is the Dynamic Range.

The previous graph showing wave signals is a good representation of dynamics. When we look at audio waveforms the ability for wave forms to fully express themselves without being cut off by any interference or compression, the waves will vary greatly from low wave peak to high with all the instrumentation and such presented in the music. Often times, limiters, compression, and gear like mics, dacs, etc - can cut off the full potential of a audio wave. Thus limiting it's dynamic range.

Actually, this is often done with music set for radio. You can see songs mixed for radio fall within a set range and have their upper and lower wave forms just cut off. They're compressed specifically to enhance loudness so the track appears to sound "better" for listeners on the radio. What's actually happening is much of the musician and their instruments are being cut off from fully expressing their voicings. So - something with better dynamics and dynamic range, will have the ability to offer a more complete voicing of the original instrument. A songs specific dynamic range is its highest peak wave point, to it's lowest peak wave point.

The ability for gear such as headphones and speakers to have good 'dynamics' generally is the response time of the transducer being moved and how rapidly it can articulate each waveform to it's true complete form. To help example this - picture a normal paper cone speaker. You watch the cone move back and forth very quickly to the music. If you're listening to a track that has many instruments and sounds all over the frequency range going all at once, that speaker cone is moving as fast as it can to reproduce every single audio signal from low powerful waveforms to high very rapid waveforms. In many cases it is not accurately displaying all of those sounds - because it PHYSICALLY can't. The cone is being pushed out by air to reproduce one part of the waveform and then relaxes back in, there is physics involved in how fast it needs to move to reproduce each frequency accurately. If the speaker cone is flexing outward at this current moment, it's not moving inward. Thus, in complex passages, there are some frequencies that are requiring the speaker to move at s certain pace that's very rapid, and others that's more slow. It cannot achieve both at the same exact second because its physical shape can only move to a certain maximum speed and capacity.

Even with low end reproduction, you can have a powerful cone that's pushing large volumes of sir to reproduce low end frequencies very well, but s flute is playing at the same time in the song, if the speaker is flexing outwards to play the low end note, low and slow, it's not also properly flexing super rapidly for the high note. Thus, you get frequencies of sounds that might be in the music but simply not being reproduced by the speaker.

This is why we developed different cones or transducers to play different parts of the frequency range at the same time. So more of the dynamics of the music can be expressed all at once because one speaker isn't responsible for the full range of sounds which it literally and physically cannot reproduce all at once no matter how good it is.

So, for something to have good dynamics, it has the ability to properly display the sounds of the quietest instrument to the loudest, the fastest to the softest - all at the exact same moment - as is displayed in the original recording.

- which, just to add to the information dump, often times the microphones we record with aren't even fully picking up all the dynamics of even a single instrument it's recording. It too has diaphragm that is moving in physical space this has its limitations of how quick or slow it can move and the more sounds it's trying to pick up at once - the more physically impossible it becomes for the microphone to move to register all of the sounds. Thus, even recordings are missing much of true dynamic range. It's just physics, we have not yet s perfect solution. Just an ever expanding quest to get better recording and then playback

Pretty cool info, thank you for the visuals and to everybody who chimed in before you. I think I udnerstand how speakers work a lot more now, like visually imagining a cone slowly moving forward (for bass) while vibrating along the way (for higher frequencies) etc..

On microphones, I kinda picture them as inverted speakers. Won't a multi-diaphragm design make sense?

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #487 of 3,674
I would definitely agree that the Trio are underrated. The Trio are, at least in my opinion, superbly versatile IEMs. I have them paired with the PlusSound GPS Exo and that works a treat. They do everything I throw at them and do it well, even classical music. The only other IEMs that I can think of (of those I have heard) that have this tremendous versatility are the FiR Audio M4, which is of course not that strange. I would personally consider the M4 more technically proficient and with a warmer cable like the DITA Oslo they really come to life (stock they might be too bright for some).
I borrowed a PlusSound Exo GPS and paired it with the Trio. I thought it was a really good pairing. This is from memory now, but I recall it being silky smooth but with some nice detail. Sadly it was only with me for a few weeks and I got quite attached to it before I then had to hand it back.

Today I paired the Trio with the PW Audio 1950’s. I’m not sure I’ve experienced anything like that before. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the sound and the feel of what I was listening to.

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #488 of 3,674
I borrowed a PlusSound Exo GPS and paired it with the Trio. I thought it was a really good pairing. This is from memory now, but I recall it being silky smooth but with some nice detail. Sadly it was only with me for a few weeks and I got quite attached to it before I then had to hand it back.

Today I paired the Trio with the PW Audio 1950’s. I’m not sure I’ve experienced anything like that before. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the sound and the feel of what I was listening to.

I’m a bit out of the TOTL cable game, but the PW 1950s is the best cable I have ever heard. The synergy with the Legend X and the A18t was insane. Obviously pair up is important but that was one of those moments where I plugged it in for the first time on Barra’s tour and was like “I need this”

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #489 of 3,674
I’m a bit out of the TOTL cable game, but the PW 1950s is the best cable I have ever heard. The synergy with the Legend X and the A18t was insane. Obviously pair up is important but that was one of those moments where I plugged it in for the first time on Barra’s tour and was like “I need this”
I only had about 30 minutes with it today (it’s a birthday present and my wife has now hidden it away), but even in that short time it took me on a crazy sound journey.

You will obviously know all this having owned it yourself, but my initial impressions are that the cable is very neutral, or honest, in that it does not cover up or enhance anything. If something is meant to be in the recording then you hear it. If it’s not, or you are used to a particular element of a song sounding a certain way, then brace yourself because you will find out how it was meant to actually sound. That was a big eye opener for me. The detail on well recorded songs is pretty incredible and the detail was present across the whole range of the Trio. There’s great separation, with stuff happening all over the place, and it seems to be able to pick out all the little nuances going on in the track. And the mids/vocals are something else. On some tracks it feels like the singer is facing you just a few feet away, and is singing solely for you. The sound of instruments is also on another level. It felt like you were in the room with the musicians and you actually feel them playing the instruments.

I’ve never experienced this before, and the above makes me sound like a fanboy. In all truthfulness though, I’m still in a bit of shock at what I was hearing.

I haven’t paired it with the Legend X yet. I wanted to save that until I can spend a lot more time with the cable. I have so much more listening to do.

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #490 of 3,674
I only had about 30 minutes with it today (it’s a birthday present and my wife has now hidden it away), but even in that short time it took me on a crazy sound journey.

You will obviously know all this having owned it yourself, but my initial impressions are that the cable is very neutral, or honest, in that it does not cover up or enhance anything. If something is meant to be in the recording then you hear it. If it’s not, or you are used to a particular element of a song sounding a certain way, then brace yourself because you will find out how it was meant to actually sound. That was a big eye opener for me. The detail on well recorded songs is pretty incredible and the detail was present across the whole range of the Trio. There’s great separation, with stuff happening all over the place, and it seems to be able to pick out all the little nuances going on in the track. And the mids/vocals are something else. On some tracks it feels like the singer is facing you just a few feet away, and is singing solely for you. The sound of instruments is also on another level. It felt like you were in the room with the musicians and you actually feel them playing the instruments.

I’ve never experienced this before, and the above makes me sound like a fanboy. In all truthfulness though, I’m still in a bit of shock at what I was hearing.

I haven’t paired it with the Legend X yet. I wanted to save that until I can spend a lot more time with the cable. I have so much more listening to do.
Would be keen to hear your impressions with the LX.
Pardon my naivite, but is the 1950s basically an all-copper 8-wire cable?

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #491 of 3,674
Would be keen to hear your impressions with the LX.
Pardon my naivite, but is the 1950s basically an all-copper 8-wire cable?
I only know the specs which are:

PWAudio Century Series - 1950s 4wired

Jacket Material: Soft PE
Conductor Material: Supreme Level OCC Copper
Conductor Gauge: 26awg as conductors and close to 24awg as shielding
Number of Conductors: 4 conductors and 4 shielding

Physically it is a 4 wire cable, but it is thicker than I thought it would be.

I will give some impressions with the LX as soon as I can.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #492 of 3,674
@mvvRAZ

I saw A6t mentioned. Having owed one prior to my u12t days, it felt like a preview or per se a mini to the 12t models. Bass and treble wise it just doesn't go as far and kinda hits a soft barrier where it fizzles out rather than go deep. Though there's a caveat that I went into ToTL territory, so anyone going up into the A6t would love it!

Also I'm joining the Eletech train as well. Fortitude and Prudence on ordered. Will leave the big ones for when employment actually exists.

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #493 of 3,674

Really don't want to hear that. :wink: A friend of mine gave me an adapter that uses the same Cardas wire as the 1950s and ever since I have been dreaming of getting that cable or having one made by the same builder who made the adapter. I can imagine that it would work very, very well with the Trio. :sunglasses:

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #494 of 3,674
Really don't want to hear that. :wink: A friend of mine gave me an adapter that uses the same Cardas wire as the 1950s and ever since I have been dreaming of getting that cable or having one made by the same builder who made the adapter. I can imagine that it would work very, very well with the Trio. :sunglasses:
Those are no longer being made sadly. Mine went to @Colors who passed it onto @SBranson last I remember. If you can track it down, it'a truly out of this world copper (out of your mind price too), otherwise its gonna be the 1950s.

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #495 of 3,674
Those are no longer being made sadly. Mine went to @Colors who passed it onto @SBranson last I remember. If you can track it down, it'a truly out of this world copper (out of your mind price too), otherwise its gonna be the 1950s.
Yeah, I remember reading he stopped his Cardas experiment. A real shame because those were some great looking cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back