RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Feb 21, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #3,646 of 3,674
Idk, Aurum was a nice little 2-3 week love affair, but Kr5 remains my personal GOAT. To me they're in completely different categories. The Aurum is a nice price-value pick, and a very good estat implementation, I love what they did with the horns, but they aren't quite TOTL-category for me anymore.

A decent competitor for something like the A12t if you're into somewhat more quirky, forward tuning.

I really enjoy the fourte blanc too, but it's a little more source picky, while I can use the Kr5 with my phone without any issue at all.

Feb 21, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #3,647 of 3,674
Ronin is with me already, impressions to follow soon but a few songs in it's giving me major Kr5 vibes, with incredible treble quality and tuning.

love on first sight alert

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #3,648 of 3,674
Idk, Aurum was a nice little 2-3 week love affair, but Kr5 remains my personal GOAT. To me they're in completely different categories. The Aurum is a nice price-value pick, and a very good estat implementation, I love what they did with the horns, but they aren't quite TOTL-category for me anymore.

A decent competitor for something like the A12t if you're into somewhat more quirky, forward tuning.

I really enjoy the fourte blanc too, but it's a little more source picky, while I can use the Kr5 with my phone without any issue at all.

Somehow the Aurum does everything so right that it is my personal GOAT - its coherence, timbral accuracy and linearity in its superbly extended trebles make it an unquestionable TOTL (to me that is, can't stress the YMMV enough). I'm glad these few years saw every manufacturer try their hands in making trebles right - 64 comes with tia drivers, other adopts the Sonion ESTs. To me the tia drivers do solve the problem of extension but in exchange the treble expression is abit wild and less controllable. On the other hand, the vast Sonion ESTs implementation failed to solve the extension problem at all, as the trebles are either muted or masked by other FR. The Aurum is by far the one and only one that truly let the ESTs shine with finesse all across the board and with nothing sacrificed.

But that said I do enjoy listening to everything else that shines in their own rights. I like the fourte blanc too (only tried the store demo tho), but prefer the Aurum anyday.

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #3,649 of 3,674
Somehow the Aurum does everything so right that it is my personal GOAT - its coherence, timbral accuracy and linearity in its superbly extended trebles make it an unquestionable TOTL (to me that is, can't stress the YMMV enough). I'm glad these few years saw every manufacturer try their hands in making trebles right - 64 comes with tia drivers, other adopts the Sonion ESTs. To me the tia drivers do solve the problem of extension but in exchange the treble expression is abit wild and less controllable. On the other hand, the vast Sonion ESTs implementation failed to solve the extension problem at all, as the trebles are either muted or masked by other FR. The Aurum is by far the one and only one that truly let the ESTs shine with finesse all across the board and with nothing sacrificed.

But that said I do enjoy listening to everything else that shines in their own rights. I like the fourte blanc too (only tried the store demo tho), but prefer the Aurum anyday.
As for me, the two first qualities, non-negotiable, are the tonal coherence and the homogeneity of the bandwidth. These are my absolute prerequisites 🧐

However, despite its enormous qualities, the Kr5s do not have them.... Imo. 🤔

But... They are fun, excessive, thunderous, badass.... 🥰😎😅

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #3,650 of 3,674
As for me, the two first qualities, non-negotiable, are the tonal coherence and the homogeneity of the bandwidth. These are my absolute prerequisites 🧐

However, despite its enormous qualities, the Kr5s do not have them.... Imo. 🤔

But... They are fun, excessive, thunderous, badass.... 🥰😎😅

I feel you bro, agree wholeheartedly. These qualities somehow makes picking up iems easier in a way, as most of the most astronomically priced "flagships" (I as a matter of principle refuse to call them TOTL if they fail in these qualities) lacks those in exchange for wow factors and loads of tech bluffs many in the hobby tends to value more.

I do appreciate stuff like the Kr5, which does not pretend to be flagship or TOTL or whatever but shamelessly shows its character. Not my cup of tea, but still admirable.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #3,651 of 3,674
Feb 22, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #3,652 of 3,674
I feel you bro, agree wholeheartedly. These qualities some makes picking up iems easier in a way, as most of the most astronomically priced "flagships" (I as a matter of principle refuse to call them TOTL if they fail in these qualities) lacks those in exchange for wow factors and loads of tech bluffs many in the hobby tends to value more.

I do appreciate stuff like the Kr5, which does not pretend to be flagship or TOTL or whatever but shamelessly shows its character. Not my cup of tea, but still admirable.
Here it is. :beerchug:

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #3,653 of 3,674
Ronin is the new GOAT... WM1A M2 will go up for sale soon if someone wants first dibs to fund some other DAP that fits the Ronin better (mainly maintains its neutrality but is maybe a little more serious than apple dongle)

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #3,654 of 3,674
Hi mvv,

Have you had the chance to confront them to the Ragnar? 😀

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #3,655 of 3,674
Hi mvv,

Have you had the chance to confront them to the Ragnar? 😀
I sold the Ragnar pretty fast. Fastest comparison is that Ronin is neutral-warm while the ragnar is bright and has no midbass

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #3,656 of 3,674
I sold the Ragnar pretty fast. Fastest comparison is that Ronin is neutral-warm while the ragnar is bright and has no midbass
When *you* say an IEM is bright, the rest of us are like...

light-too-bright.gif

Feb 24, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #3,657 of 3,674
When *you* say an IEM is bright, the rest of us are like...

light-too-bright.gif
I am somewhat sensitive to lower treble, the DITA x Final SK ripped my ears out even though I did also enjoy it for a while...

Upper treble though? I gobble that stuff UP, I legitimately have never heard an IEM that made me go "oof this could use a little less upper treble" - even the Noir that is an absolute monster in that region was like, just about right for me

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #3,658 of 3,674
Thanks bro :beerchug:

Feb 24, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #3,659 of 3,674
I am somewhat sensitive to lower treble, the DITA x Final SK ripped my ears out even though I did also enjoy it for a while...

Upper treble though? I gobble that stuff UP, I legitimately have never heard an IEM that made me go "oof this could use a little less upper treble" - even the Noir that is an absolute monster in that region was like, just about right for me
I liked the TuriiTi but in the end too bright. I think I am really sensitive to that, perhaps unusually so. Most of the sets I could not use are for this reason. I am buying a Fibae 5 need to have one of these sets after all that effort, plus today is my birthday. Anyway I do like it it is not just the best of these 8.

Anyone have a suggestion for a cable for the F5, comes with 3.5 need to move to 4.4 I have a Code 51 otherwise no other cables than stock, I liked the Chiron build from last years CanJam, though too expensive.

So excited to meet those that make the Journey to Time Square. Expect to spend more time talking than listening to gear, though I got to do both. Safe travels.

Feb 24, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #3,660 of 3,674
I liked the TuriiTi but in the end too bright. I think I am really sensitive to that, perhaps unusually so. Most of the sets I could not use are for this reason. I am buying a Fibae 5 need to have one of these sets after all that effort, plus today is my birthday. Anyway I do like it it is not just the best of these 8.

Anyone have a suggestion for a cable for the F5, comes with 3.5 need to move to 4.4 I have a Code 51 otherwise no other cables than stock, I liked the Chiron build from last years CanJam, though too expensive.

So excited to meet those that make the Journey to Time Square. Expect to spend more time talking than listening to gear, though I got to do both. Safe travels.
Congrats, good decision (agree about Turii Ti vs F5). My suggestion: get a custom (it's made by Custom Art after all!). And ask for a 4.4mm cable, I'm sure @piotrus-g will be happy to oblige.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back