RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Aug 17, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #76 of 3,674
Specifically regarding the Elysium, it’s one of my easiest custom recommendations and one of my least recommended universals

the VE8 is nice but you might as well get an EVE20 Imo, they’re pretty similar. The 64 A18S is also considerably more technical with much, much nicer treble and extension at the expense of some midrange texture

ye usually iems that are made
Specifically regarding the Elysium, it’s one of my easiest custom recommendations and one of my least recommended universals

the VE8 is nice but you might as well get an EVE20 Imo, they’re pretty similar. The 64 A18S is also considerably more technical with much, much nicer treble and extension at the expense of some midrange texture

Could that possible have anything to do with fit and insertion depth of the uni elysium or perhaps different material of the shell. Usually shallow inserts results in more harshness. Have also heard that people found the u12t to sound better than a12t custom.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #77 of 3,674
Aug 17, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #78 of 3,674
Yep - a good example of where my tastes differ from Raz's. He's a fan, but although the technicalities rate high, there's just not enough sparkle and air for him. Totally get it, and I totally get why anybody finds it not quite to their taste, but to me it's such a brilliant IEM at what it does. The resolution and technicalities are all there, and the midrange is full and lush, which is my preference. But when it comes to straight bass slam, nothing hits like the LX. For those reasons, it's one of my absolute favourites and it's unlikely to leave my collection (unless someone makes something that does what it does but doesn't lose the technical proficiency)
I'm keen to hear the Odin, but I doubt it does what the LX does (and quite rightly, otherwise what's the point?) I'm expecting a very different sound from the Odin, but beyond that I'm keeping an open mind and looking forward to a demo whenever that's possible
The downside is in order to buy the Odin I would need to sell the LX 😥

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #79 of 3,674
The downside is in order to buy the Odin I would need to sell the LX 😥
Never! Even Jack Vang couldn't pry them from my claws. :ksc75smile:

I guess it comes down to whether you'd get more use from them though. If it came down to it and you were going to spend far more time with the Odin, then an LX really doesn't deserve to be sitting around waiting for some attention. Isn't that right @SeeSax :wink:

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #80 of 3,674

I guess it comes down to whether you'd get more use from them though. If it came down to it and you were going to spend far more time with the Odin, then an LX really doesn't deserve to be sitting around waiting for some attention. Isn't that right @SeeSax :wink:
Hence why my LX are for sale... Odin ruined my life.

Aug 17, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #81 of 3,674

Legend X...

giphy.gif

-Collin-

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #82 of 3,674
I really need to put an ear on them...

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #83 of 3,674
ye usually iems that are made

Could that possible have anything to do with fit and insertion depth of the uni elysium or perhaps different material of the shell. Usually shallow inserts results in more harshness. Have also heard that people found the u12t to sound better than a12t custom.
I think it happens regardless of the insertion depth honestly, the Elysium universal is really easy to get a deep insertion on. I personally feel like the Elysium wasn't quite designed to be a universal but was released as one due to popular demand rather

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #84 of 3,674
Small change of plans, as the Odin is out for delivery and @arijitroy2 needed the rundown, for my next post I'm doing initial Odin impressions along with a Thummim side by side!

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #85 of 3,674
Small change of plans, as the Odin is out for delivery and @arijitroy2 needed the rundown, for my next post I'm doing initial Odin impressions along with a Thummim side by side!
Ah cant wait! Just enjoying Thummim for now, made my gf listen to them, and her exact words "its like sitting in front of the singers and listening live" :D

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #86 of 3,674
Ah cant wait! Just enjoying Thummim for now, made my gf listen to them, and her exact words "its like sitting in front of the singers and listening live" :D
Exactly my experience when I first heard it. I had to switch to electronic music during my working day, because live music, bands and anything with an organic or holographic stage built into the recording just proved too distracting for me to get anything done

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #88 of 3,674
The other problem I will have if i go for either this or Odin, would be the expectations it will set for future or current iems. Might have to sell them off!

I dont know how you guys and specially Michael does it, keeping all flagships and then mid-fi ones! Hard to go back!

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #89 of 3,674
Have you tried Technics EAH-Tz700?
I feel like they offer good value in terms of what they offer (comfort meets sound)
@doctorjuggles can help more with that as he's quite familiar with the brand. I just looked it up and a store that's like an hour away has them so I'll do my best to demo them sometime soon :)

The other problem I will have if i go for either this or Odin, would be the expectations it will set for future or current iems. Might have to sell them off!

I dont know how you guys and specially Michael does it, keeping all flagships and then mid-fi ones! Hard to go back!
I'd say mid-fi is a bit stuck at "natural" currently, where the sort of best picks and IEMs all sound very pleasant and realistic, lacking exaggeration and flamboyance. The one exception to that I'd say is the Andromeda 2020, which is a wonderfully W shaped (or borderline U/V) able to actually entertain more for longer than what I need for a review

Ultimately you're right though, my mid-fi IEMs are mostly bought in order to review and enjoy for a few weeks and then sold off. I've listened to my Ara less than 15 times in total considering I have access to proper TOTLs

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #90 of 3,674
@doctorjuggles can help more with that as he's quite familiar with the brand. I just looked it up and a store that's like an hour away has them so I'll do my best to demo them sometime soon :)
Ah, it's a brand I love because it was (and still is) the absolute gold-standard for club vinyl DJing, nothing touches it and until about 10 years ago, absolutely every club worth its salt had two of these - two of these babies sit in my living room right now and I love them.
Unfortunately in the UK though, nobody sells the EAH-TZ700 - it's as if it doesn't even exist here, so I've never heard it.
Technics is the absolute business though :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back