RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Sep 16, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #496 of 3,674
Those are no longer being made sadly. Mine went to @Colors who passed it onto @SBranson last I remember. If you can track it down, it'a truly out of this world copper (out of your mind price too), otherwise its gonna be the 1950s.

I do have that cable and being a 2 pin I was unable to use it with my Solaris2020. I had it on the U12t but that iem just isn't for me.. I had thought of selling the cable as I had been happy with my EA Leonidas I
But then my OEAudio 2pin to mmcx adapters came in and I finally got to hear the cable on the Solaris..

... I’m not sure I’ve experienced anything like that before. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the sound and the feel of what I was listening to.

This and the later comments are what I first heard... immediately. I could not believe the separation, the subtle tones and basic unmasking of any veiling of subtle nuance.
Sometimes I would find it all getting very intense and realize it was just too loud. I'm not sure if anyone else has this experience but particularly in 2 channel audio, good gear is so clear that you can't really tell how loud it is. I used to have to ask my wife if it was too loud because everything was so present that I figured it must be because the volume was up.
I get that with this cable on my Solaris 2020 and WM1Z because everything is laid bare. It's really unbelievable.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #498 of 3,674
there is 2 types of dynamic.

Macro dynamic, can be considered as dynamic range.

Micro dynamic, that is more complex and closely linked to ADSR envelope and transient.

Maybe @Deezel177 can tell us more about it.

Both play a role for me in what I call the magic square :
"Resolution is the ability to individualize a voice or instrument"
"Separation is the ability to feel space between the various sound sources"
"Definition is the ability to perceive as much information as possible"
"Transparency is the ability to transcribe the nuances and subtleties of music"

But frequency response plays a role there too, and surely other stuff.

As far as the technical definition and parameters of dynamics go, @Liberatus pretty much covered it in full. When it comes to how it's heard in an IEM, I believe I've talked about it on Nic's thread some time in the past, but I'll do so again here. Though dynamic range can technically be measured in terms of dB, when I say an IEM has "great dynamic range," I'm referring to its ability to go from soft to loud; laidback to thunderous.

The easiest way I personally determine this is to use a track that builds as it goes on, like Snarky Puppy's Go. The arrangement builds with more instruments thrown into the mix and the whole ensemble growing louder each time. An IEM with great dynamic range should be able to portray that build properly and convey a proper crescendo by the end. Another tell-tale sign is that those IEMs will seemingly sound "empty" when these arrangements first start out, and they'll only sound "filled out" once the arrangement reaches its climax, whereas an IEM with poor dynamic range will sound packed from the get-go and "choke" by the climax. This is quality that I think EE's Odin truly excels in. Heavily-compressed tracks with little dynamic range will sound like packed, scrunched-up balls in the middle of its vast soundscape, while more dynamic-sounding tracks fill its space gorgeously. That's the broader term I'd use to describe dynamic range, and there are probably quite a few nuances I'm missing here, but it is what it is.

Macro-dynamics to me determine an IEM's overall sense of punchiness; slam, power, etc. It can come from any part of the frequency range, though it's most commonly rooted in the extremes. It's why v-shaped IEMs tend to sound punchier than most, but the compromise there is obviously going to be midrange fullness and presence. Th extension of the lows and highs, to me, play a much bigger role than quantity in that regard, as even IEMs with relatively neutral amounts of both can sound punchy when properly extended; say, 64 Audio's A18s. Conversely a v-shaped IEM with less extension, such as Nocturnal Audio's entry-level Avalon, will eventually sound dull following the initial wow first impression. With that said, midrange macro-dynamic energy is also crucial for, say, brass sections in a big band setting, where horn stabs can be relied on to drive the arrangement. And, the same applies to rhythm guitars in rock, or belters in ballads. Macro-dynamic energy I think is what separates sounding punchy from just sounding loud, and it's a broader form of dynamics that one can achieve with shortcuts like, as I said, tuning a v-shape.

Now, micro-dynamic energy is what @mvvRAZ is talking about with regards to a black background. To me, micro-dynamic energy is an IEM's ability to make background sounds and micro-details pop, and a stable, black backdrop is required to do so. Otherwise, those little nuances will just blend into the backdrop and never catch your ear. It's a hallmark of high resolution, and it's less crucial for genres like modern pop, where those micro-details have been brought forward through heavy compression anyway. But, it's crucial for genres like classical, where tiny bells and chimes and choir parts here-and-there all play integral parts in weaving together the story the piece is trying to tell. With those little nuances missing or blending into the "noise floor", I often find those pieces lack emotion; ending up sounding - again - dull.

It's also crucial in a genre like jazz. You can find a great combination of macro- and micro-dynamic energy on Robbie Williams' cover of "I Wanna Be Like You" with Olly Murs. Great micro-dynamic range is required to portray all the rises and falls of Williams' vocals - his little inflections and purposeful shifts in power - to convey the playfulness and fun he's trying to evoke through his performance, which perfectly fit the lyrics and vibe of the track; again, the story it's trying to tell. This'll be a talking point on my FiR M3 review, which is coming soon, by the way. :wink: And, where macro-dynamics come in is the contrast between the quiet, almost sneaky vibe at the start of the track, versus the uproarious, horn-blaring climax. Taking the two together, you get all the joy and glee the track is asking for, and - in my opinion - what everyone involved in making it intended to convey in the first place.

Again, writing this off the top of my head, there are probably nuances here-and-there that I'm forgetting. But, that's the gist of what I've found dynamics to mean for me.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #499 of 3,674
@Deezel177 @MrLocoLuciano @Liberatus thank you all for chiming in!

I'll soon make a new index on the first page of the thread with technical explanations like yours as those would be of great value to anyone reading them!

Edit: not "like" yours, but literally just pin your comments :D

@mvvRAZ

I saw A6t mentioned. Having owed one prior to my u12t days, it felt like a preview or per se a mini to the 12t models. Bass and treble wise it just doesn't go as far and kinda hits a soft barrier where it fizzles out rather than go deep. Though there's a caveat that I went into ToTL territory, so anyone going up into the A6t would love it!

Also I'm joining the Eletech train as well. Fortitude and Prudence on ordered. Will leave the big ones for when employment actually exists.
Woop woop! The Fortitude and Prudence are really good cables, I had them in MMCX but I need to order them in 2pin because my plan to find some MMCX IEMs I enjoy kinda failed. The M9 and Andro 2020 are the closest I got to that, but the A12t is in many ways a directly better M9, so I think that'll be coming up for sale very soon :)

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #500 of 3,674
PW Audio cables are fantastic , 1960s is a marvelous cable with my Zeus XR

1950s must be even better (and even more pricier)

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #501 of 3,674
My plan to find some MMCX IEMs I enjoy kinda failed. The M9 and Andro 2020 are the closest I got to that, but the A12t is in many ways a directly better M9, so I think that'll be coming up for sale very soon :)

Did you try the Solaris (2020 or other)?
I can't remember if it ever graced your collection temporarily or not (I imagine it must have done!).
Am currently reviewing the Solaris 2020; it's an interesting one..

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #502 of 3,674
I can't remember if it ever graced your collection temporarily or not (I imagine it must have done!).
I tried it on 2 occasions and really disliked it both times.. I wasn't a huge fan of the OG Solaris, and even less so the 2020 one :/

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #503 of 3,674

Oh, and same question for Final Audio A8000.
I feel that one has a pretty unique tuning in the way it presents detail.
I'm also reviewing the B1, which has a lot of similarities, but with more warmth and low end (which I felt were a bit lacking on the A8000 for my personal tastes), more compact and beautiful shells (in my opinion!) and at a fraction of the price ($600?) :)

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #504 of 3,674
I tried it on 2 occasions and really disliked it both times.. I wasn't a huge fan of the OG Solaris, and even less so the 2020 one :/

Wonderful! What things made you dislike the 2020? :D

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #505 of 3,674
Oh, and same question for Final Audio A8000.
I feel that one has a pretty unique tuning in the way it presents detail.
I'm also reviewing the B1, which has a lot of similarities, but with more warmth and low end (which I felt were a bit lacking on the A8000 for my personal tastes), more compact and beautiful shells (in my opinion!) and at a fraction of the price ($600?) :)
I haven't tried the A8000, but I've heard absolutely terrible things about it haha - I'll definitely review it if I come across one but having heard from people with similar-ish preferences to mine kinda put me off properly hunting one down

As to the Solaris 2020 - the midrange is especially thin to my ears, and not even like a reference kind of thing, just straight up shrill. The bass doesn't feel in line with said midrange either, as it has a somewhat slower decay and a level of general warmth. It isn't super bright in the traditional sense of the word, but it just feels extremely underwhelming all around

I loved the 2020 Andromeda though, super fast typical BA bass, a lighter but decently textured midrange and really good treble extension and upper treble presence. Big big fan :)

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #506 of 3,674
I haven't tried the A8000, but I've heard absolutely terrible things about it haha - I'll definitely review it if I come across one but having heard from people with similar-ish preferences to mine kinda put me off properly hunting one down

Honestly, I thought it was really something special.
Personally though, I just want more warmth and body (and 'Dat Bass' of course if possible).
But for people who don't share those preferences, I think it offers a pretty unique and beautiful sound.
I'm really happy with the B1 so far, because it loses a bit of the technical performance of the A8000 (understandably), but adds in the warmth, body and bass impact I was craving. And plus, jewellery-like rose gold shells. Not that I'm shallow :heart_eyes::joy:
For that mainly, I think it's going to be my daily on-the-go IEM with a Prudence cable (in safe areas at least) unless/until I get and like the Nio :D

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #507 of 3,674
Honestly, I thought it was really something special.
Personally though, I just want more warmth and body (and 'Dat Bass' of course if possible).
But for people who don't share those preferences, I think it offers a pretty unique and beautiful sound.
I'm really happy with the B1 so far, because it loses a bit of the technical performance of the A8000 (understandably), but adds in the warmth, body and bass impact I was craving. And plus, jewellery-like rose gold shells. Not that I'm shallow :heart_eyes::joy:
For that mainly, I think it's going to be my daily on-the-go IEM with a Prudence cable (in safe areas at least) unless/until I get and like the Nio :D
I heard it's insanely sibilant though? And once you kinda take out all warmth and body from a dynamic driver, what are you really left with? :D

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #508 of 3,674
Damn, all this talk is making me want to try a 1950 cable 😄😵

Has anyone compared it with the 1960?

i preferred the 50 to the 60 on my a18t. to date, the 1950 remains by far the best cable i've heard.

of course, synergy between an iem and a cable is critical, so i have no idea what the 50 would do to other iems...but yeah, what it did for the a18t was incredible to me.

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #509 of 3,674
i preferred the 50 to the 60 on my a18t. to date, the 1950 remains by far the best cable i've heard.

of course, synergy between an iem and a cable is critical, so i have no idea what the 50 would do to other iems...but yeah, what it did for the a18t was incredible to me.

This information is not helpful for my financial health, man. :upside_down:

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #510 of 3,674
Damn, all this talk is making me want to try a 1950 cable 😄😵

Has anyone compared it with the 1960?
Your question was motivation to take pics of my Cardas Clear (1950 wire) and Cardas Clear Light 2 wire (1960 wire). I am finding they both are of course wonderful. It is all about the synergy though. I have tried both cables on IEMs where really nothing wonderful happened. But when the synergy is there. Wow!!!

The Cardas Clear is more neutral and takes the IEM for what it is and takes it to another level. It is analogous to looking through glass. With the 1950 the sound of the IEM is like looking through pristine glass. No distortions at all. Perfectly clear. Like looking at the difference of eating dinner at a restaurant on the beach. The windows are closed and all is wonderful. But when the waiter comes over and opens the sliding doors then all is experiences at another level. All senses are affected in a good way.

To me the Cardas Clear Light colors a little bit. It does a little bit what a wonderful silver cable can do. It tightens things up in certain places like treble and bass but the copper still allows everything to breath. With the wrong IEM the only issue I have run into is it makes the mids a little thin IMHO. The Cardas Clear Light is both tight and warm.

Like I wrote above, it is about the synergy with the IEM. And of course the source. Right now they have an excellent synergy with the LX and Sultan.

The second picture is of my Zephyr with the Rhapsodio Copper Wizard MK2 two wire. One of my favorite cables. It is copper and is shielded so is a bit thicker than the 1960 and not as amazingly ergonomic as the 1960. The 1960 drapes like a Hermes scarf (ok that was a bit much but you get the idea).

The CW MK2 is like the 1960 but is even more like a silver cable. It tightens everything up. Neutral tight! Allows more separation of notes.

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back