Radius HP-TWF11r Review and Impressions thread
Jul 10, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #526 of 864
iponderous-
Welcome back! The place was rather boring without your writing style. 

The differences are pretty big. Over time, I've grown to prefer the DDM's to the FX700's because of their smoothness in the highs. Their stage is more 3D than the FX700's, but maybe not quite as wide. They are very similar to the IE8's, but with a slightly better level of clarity and treble, and more 3D soundstage there too. The bass is quite similar to the IE8's but not as mid-bass oriented and chesty. 

Now enter the SM3's.... they are much clearer than the DDM's, and yet are even smoother in the upper end somehow (I don't know how they pull off their level of clarity, detail, and relaxed manner. I've never heard anything like that rich combination they have). The soundstage is perhaps not quite as wide as the DDM's or FX700's, but when recordings have a highly surrounding space, they convey that in spades. They make all the other earphones I've had seem very localized, and one axis so to speak. Some owners have commented they don't like that aspect of the SM3's, which supposedly makes them sound unnaturally expanded or something, but I really like this immersive quality. Along with their detail, this space gives instruments fantastic space to breathe, and you find yourself noticing new details you hadn't heard before (as cliched as this saying is, it's true with them). Bass is not quite as deep or impactful as with the DDM's, but is the best of any BA I've heard, including the TF10's and Westone 3's. It's quick, and can stop on a dime. They can make even the DDM's sound a bit flabby in the low end. 

One other thing, the DDM's don't isolate for anything, and are more of a sit at your desk type of listen, while the SM3's isolate much better. So if you're trying to choose between the two, that should come into play. But then again, there's the price difference- the DDM can be had for about $150 USD, and the SM3 goes for close to $400. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #528 of 864
Yeah, I sure have turned. But what really did it is that seemingly impossible combination of relaxed style, combined with that incredible detail and layering. It's such a rare combination of qualities that I immediately fell in love with them (once I found the right tip of course). 

What are you thinking about trying out these days?

Many thanks about the comparison. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #529 of 864
i really want to get these for the sound, but the fit's seems to be a real problem. and i wouldn't get them just for that. is there anyway the fit could be improved? like custom tips, or a remold maybe?
thanks for your help

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #533 of 864
lucky you then :wink:, thanks for your help btw. i sent an email to unique melody asking if they can do a remold. actually, i wouldn't count on it, but who knows?
biggrin.gif
anyway ill keep you updated if it interests anyone.

EDIT: ok not possible. something about a soundtube attached to the casing of the earphone, which would potentially be damaged if a remold would be made. guess ill have to go with a unique melody earphone then.

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #534 of 864

Quote:
iponderous-
Welcome back! The place was rather boring without your writing style. 

The differences are pretty big. Over time, I've grown to prefer the DDM's to the FX700's because of their smoothness in the highs. Their stage is more 3D than the FX700's, but maybe not quite as wide. They are very similar to the IE8's, but with a slightly better level of clarity and treble, and more 3D soundstage there too. The bass is quite similar to the IE8's but not as mid-bass oriented and chesty. 

Now enter the SM3's.... they are much clearer than the DDM's, and yet are even smoother in the upper end somehow (I don't know how they pull off their level of clarity, detail, and relaxed manner. I've never heard anything like that rich combination they have). The soundstage is perhaps not quite as wide as the DDM's or FX700's, but when recordings have a highly surrounding space, they convey that in spades. They make all the other earphones I've had seem very localized, and one axis so to speak. Some owners have commented they don't like that aspect of the SM3's, which supposedly makes them sound unnaturally expanded or something, but I really like this immersive quality. Along with their detail, this space gives instruments fantastic space to breathe, and you find yourself noticing new details you hadn't heard before (as cliched as this saying is, it's true with them). Bass is not quite as deep or impactful as with the DDM's, but is the best of any BA I've heard, including the TF10's and Westone 3's. It's quick, and can stop on a dime. They can make even the DDM's sound a bit flabby in the low end. 

One other thing, the DDM's don't isolate for anything, and are more of a sit at your desk type of listen, while the SM3's isolate much better. So if you're trying to choose between the two, that should come into play. But then again, there's the price difference- the DDM can be had for about $150 USD, and the SM3 goes for close to $400. 

Nice comparison!  Makes me feel good about spending 1/4 (OEM set) of the price for something that competes so well! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #535 of 864
I'm with you, right from the get go for me the DDM's sit and fit was so secure and natural it was like they had been crafted and contoured to every lump, bump, crease and curve of my ear which really surprised me as the fit photos in sigzeos review looked so awkward they had me procrastinating about picking them up for ages.
Quote:
Just straight down. I know ears come in all shapes and sizes, so I count myself as very fortunate as these excellent earphones could have been tailored for me

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #537 of 864
Still loving my DDM, and I'm a proud SM3 owner.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #539 of 864
Were my photos that bad?

Quote:
I'm with you, right from the get go for me the DDM's sit and fit was so secure and natural it was like they had been crafted and contoured to every lump, bump, crease and curve of my ear which really surprised me as the fit photos in sigzeos review looked so awkward they had me procrastinating about picking them up for ages.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #540 of 864
2rooi123, some of the build quality could be better, but some parts are on point (like the cable). But to answer the first part of your question, yes the SM3 is worth the price difference. Technically, as I've said before, the SM3 is the best universal IEM out there. But if you don't have $400 to spare, and you're looking for the best IEM for under $200, from all the ones I'ver heard the DDM is the best in that price range. I hope that answers your question.

Quote:
eric is the sm3 worth the price difference compared to ddm?
their build quality is questionable also right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back