Radius HP-TWF11r Review and Impressions thread
Jul 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #511 of 864
I'm gonna give this a whirl!

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #512 of 864
Anyone have small tips for the DDM they are willing to ship to Australia, 2141?

If you want a trade, even though it's for different phones, I have medium Shure Olives. 

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #513 of 864

Quote:
Anyone have small tips for the DDM they are willing to ship to Australia, 2141?

If you want a trade, even though it's for different phones, I have medium Shure Olives. 

Wow, you are pretty darn close to me... I'm at 2121. Why not get some Sony hybrids? I use them on my DDM's. :D

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #514 of 864
Yeah, Sony Hybrids come in many sizes, ranging from newborn baby to sasquatch.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #515 of 864
Since my Earsonics SM3's are going out on loan for a demo with a friend for a couple weeks, I'm using the DDM's again exclusively. Very nice how quickly I can get back into their sound, especially when paired with my Arrow amp. Very smooth, articulate, open sound. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #516 of 864
I really miss the DDM. The truth is that their unique, yet natural (how in the world is that possible?) signature is so lovely that as much as I love the SM3, the DDM are the ones that I sigh over when going through a 'gingy' life before the eyes flash.

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #517 of 864
I am kinda glad I got the DDM instead of the SM3. I probably would have broke the SM3 by now since I have had the phones ripped from my ears on a few occasions including squeezing by an open door and getting them caught on the handle. The SM3 tubes probably wouldn't have survived the violent interactions the DDM has. They are surprisingly tank-like cable and all. They have taken more of a beating than any earphone of mine has and are no worse for wear.

I also kinda mastered the sound. I think the DDM are much like the IE8 where getting more seal and isolation does not provide them with their best sound. Using my clear Lelong(ebay) bi-flanges pushed all the way on(past the first normal stopping groove) they sound quite good. They are mid forward and faster and only the sub-bass has the real punch. With more seal, more punch goes up the spectrum making them more bass oriented than I like. I hear less of the unique layering(more coherent) but they are more extended and have a consistently larger stage(which doesn't vary as much) as well as the treble integrating more and being as apparent as the bass is.

They are 100% cohesive and have more of an SM3 like signature, bigger/faster/slightly mid forward. The mids are the best part even though the bass is great(better since the impact varies along the freqs. more accurately) and the treble is improved. They just don't have the range as regards distance. Since that is not very accurate and most others phone don't do it, I think I am hearing the DDM  more correctly now. Not as special a signature but a technically better earphone across the board.

I could go back to the other signature with more isolating tips but I like the more open, quicker, more extended sound. The beefier sounding DDM which wasn't quite as agile or transparent started to lose it's luster a bit.

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #518 of 864
Just on the subject of tips: I wrote a few pages back about how I preferred the Complys on my DDM. I'd like to take that back totally. For the last 48hrs I've had the original supplied tips back on, and they're sounding better than ever. The Complys definitely took something away in terms of airiness and purity of sibilance, and the bass seems more tuneful too. The Complys win only on comfort now.

Last night listening to a FLAC rip of an Innocence Mission CD on my S:Flo2 through the DDM was the most fun I've had yet with an IEM; just glorious.

Jul 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #521 of 864
How do the Sony hybirds sound compared to the normal tips?  The nozzle is partially covered by the Sony tips as they are too small.  This makes me believe that the sound would differ.  Maybe I'm being paranoid?

So I'm still interested in buying the small tips for the DDM.  Or a trade for medium Shure olives.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #522 of 864
I found that the normal tips have a slightly more diffuse, hollow sound - perhaps a little more details in the mid-treble area. The hybrids, as they usually do when added onto most IEMs, warm the sound up a little, concentrate the soundstage a little smaller, and sound more intimate and cohesive. Personally I prefer the hybrid sound. :)

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #523 of 864
I like UE single flange silicone tips on them. The DDM's and IE8's both really seem to shine with those tips. If anyone has some around from TF10's or the like, I recommend trying them to see if they help things. They seem to open up treble and soundstage a touch to my ears, over other tips including the included ones.

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #524 of 864
cn11, have you been listening exclusively to the SM3's prior to parting with them? If so, I think this would be a good opportunity for you to highlight the differences between those and the DDM's. What do the DDM's offer that the SM3's don't and vice versa?

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #525 of 864
The DDMs are like listening down the barrel of a gun compared to the SM3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back