Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550
Nov 27, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #556 of 651
I used both monster tips and comply tips. Not happy with either of them. The monster gel tips feel harder than soft. Thought gel tips would be soft but they were really uncomfortable. The comply tips are great but sadly they discolor within a month and it looks unhygienic. Will never use either again. :kissing_smiling_eyes: now I use the Sony noise isolating tips which came with the XBA headphones and provide a better deal and are comfortable.
Monster Supertip gels

Comply tips but be warned of the discoloration.
I've gotta be honest, after 10 hours on my 7550's I'm very disappointed with the comfort. After only 10 minutes of listening my ears start to ache. On the other hand, I can wear my Klipsch S4's for 8 straight hours with zero discomfort. Any suggestions, guys? 3rd party tips?

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #557 of 651
  I've gotta be honest, after 10 hours on my 7550's I'm very disappointed with the comfort. After only 10 minutes of listening my ears start to ache. On the other hand, I can wear my Klipsch S4's for 8 straight hours with zero discomfort. Any suggestions, guys? 3rd party tips?

Huh? 7550 uncomfortable? Though s4's are very very comfortable, I didn't think 7550 had a bad comfort. Try a tip with less seal. 7550 doesn't require a full seal or deep insertion.

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #558 of 651
Your guys are lucky. First, the ear hook length of the 7550 cable is shorter than those of the EX600/1000 cables but it is the most optimal length, at least to my ears for best fit. Second, the 7550 cable is longer than the EX600/1000 cables. Third, the 7550 cable sounds the best to my ears.

I am wondering if the 7550 cable was produced (and improved) after the EX600/1000 cables, after Sony had learned something from the other two EX models.

Now if any 7550 owners who have broken cables, please PM me and I'll buy it. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #559 of 651

This must be the first time I read EX800/1000/7550 series as not comfortable....

7550's long term comfort is the reason I bought them in the first place.

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #560 of 651
Your guys are lucky. First, the ear hook length of the 7550 cable is shorter than those of the EX600/1000 cables but it is the most optimal length, at least to my ears for best fit. Second, the 7550 cable is longer than the EX600/1000 cables. Third, the 7550 cable sounds the best to my ears.

I am wondering if the 7550 cable was produced (and improved) after the EX600/1000 cables, after Sony had learned something from the other two EX models.

Just import them for 40 bux

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/e-earphone/item/10005210/

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #561 of 651

Just import them for 40 bux

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/e-earphone/item/10005210/

Thanks for the link. I assume that's an OEM cable, not an after market one. Wait ... it says the item can not be shipped to the US from the store. :frowning2:

I also like the metal threads for the EX800 cable, instead of the plastic ones for the EX600/EX1000 cables.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #562 of 651

Thanks for the link. I assume that's an OEM cable, not an after market one. Wait ... it says the item can not be shipped to the US from the store. :frowning2:

I also like the metal threads for the EX800 cable, instead of the plastic ones for the EX600/EX1000 cables.

set up a forwarding service first.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/help/service/forwarding.html?l-id=borderless_banner_tenso01

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #563 of 651

Thanks for the link. I assume that's an OEM cable, not an after market one. Wait ... it says the item can not be shipped to the US from the store.
frown.gif

set up a forwarding service first.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/help/service/forwarding.html?l-id=borderless_banner_tenso01

Thanks, so which forwarding service normally your guys use for shipping to the US and how much (%) roughly does the forwarding service charge?

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #564 of 651
  Huh? 7550 uncomfortable? Though s4's are very very comfortable, I didn't think 7550 had a bad comfort. Try a tip with less seal. 7550 doesn't require a full seal or deep insertion.

This must be the first time I read EX800/1000/7550 series as not comfortable....

7550's long term comfort is the reason I bought them in the first place.

Tell me about it, the rave reviews about comfort played a big role in me going with them, now I'm kinda pissed. Today I'm going to try pulling the tips off of my S4's and testing them out on these.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #565 of 651

Tell me about it, the rave reviews about comfort played a big role in me going with them, now I'm kinda pissed. Today I'm going to try pulling the tips off of my S4's and testing them out on these.

Sorry mate. Everyone does have different earshape, but most users that tried the Sonys found them comfortable(myself included). Does it just start hurting after a while? I guess foam might be the best option.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #567 of 651

pls do.

does it fit mdr 7550's nozzle?

I didn't get to spend much time with this yesterday, but the Klipsch tips do indeed fit on the 7550's. I kept the left IEM stock and switched the right IEM to the Klipsch tip, and the increased comfort was almost immediately evident. Within 10 minutes my left ear started to ache as usual, but my right was still quite comfortable. It didn't disappear in my ear like the S4's, but it was a hell of an improvement. When I get a chance I'll have to test this out for longer than 20 minutes. Besides the increased comfort, the most notable difference is the smaller outlet diameter on the Klipsch tips. At this point I can't say for certain whether it makes a difference, but I'll look into it.

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #568 of 651

I didn't get to spend much time with this yesterday, but the Klipsch tips do indeed fit on the 7550's. I kept the left IEM stock and switched the right IEM to the Klipsch tip, and the increased comfort was almost immediately evident. Within 10 minutes my left ear started to ache as usual, but my right was still quite comfortable. It didn't disappear in my ear like the S4's, but it was a hell of an improvement. When I get a chance I'll have to test this out for longer than 20 minutes. Besides the increased comfort, the most notable difference is the smaller outlet diameter on the Klipsch tips. At this point I can't say for certain whether it makes a difference, but I'll look into it.

Can you comment on how it sounds with klipsch tips?

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #569 of 651

IGNORE THE ABOVE POST!  Although you can fit the S4 tips on the 7550's, I strongly recommend against trying. The tips are a bit too narrow and have to stretch over the nozzle, which decreases both soundstage width and lower frequencies a few db's, and more importantly can become a health hazard if the tips pop off the nozzles while you're wearing them. (don't ask how I figured that out)

In other news I tried the small factory tips and the fit was poor and they sounded terrible without a good seal. I guess I'll just try to tough it out and break in the medium tips, and if it doesn't work out I'll sell them. Anyone in the market for a LNIB pair of 7550's?

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #570 of 651
Can anyone compare the Ex600 and the 7550? The Ex600 can be had for 230 on amazon canada and the 7550 for 220 from a local store. I won't be able to audition either one unfortunately. I listen to a wide variety of music, but EDM and Trance most often along with Top 40 music. I wonder if the 7550 would be appropriate for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back