Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550
Jun 17, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #541 of 651
Are the ex600 and 7550 THAT different.

Regardless my eye is still on this series for sure.

Search This Thread : EX600

If you go back to earlier pages, those who've tried EX600/1000/7550 say 7550 has the least harsh treble (or the dullest of the three in treble... depending on the current state of your hearing)

Also, the strain relief plug for MDR 7550 is not as flashy as 600/1000 but it's better designed for durability.

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #543 of 651
  A bit off topic, but has anyone seen a pair of MDR-7550's running custom cables? Or know of a company that has done it?

I believe Beat Audio cable and also a guy named Ted Allen can make a custom one for you, but to my understanding you have to send your stock cable to them because they need the connectors. These connectors are not available anywhere for purchase. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #544 of 651

I believe Beat Audio cable and also a guy named Ted Allen can make a custom one for you, but to my understanding you have to send your stock cable to them because they need the connectors. These connectors are not available anywhere for purchase. 

Bummer, I had a strong feeling that that would be the case. Thanks for the info!

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #549 of 651
  No problem. I think EX1000 and EX600 cable should work with it too. However, the stock one says EX800.

Yes they are all interchangeable and I have them all. The reason I asked about the MDR-7550 cable is that I recently found the EX1000 paired with the EX800 cable sounds the best on my gears to my ears.

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #551 of 651
  There were also other people who thought that EX800 cable sounded the best. Not sure where though.

As far as I am concerned, following extensive testing/comparisons between all these cables, my fully burned-in EX1000 with the EX800 cable just blows my mind especially when paired with this particular diymod (direct-out to lod pins) of my collection. 

I know I may sound a little hype, but I am surprised that the in-ear audio could sound this good. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #552 of 651

As far as I am concerned, following extensive testing/comparisons between all these cables, my fully burned-in EX1000 with the EX800 cable just blows my mind especially when paired with this particular diymod (direct-out to lod pins) of my collection. 

I know I may sound a little hype, but I am surprised that the in-ear audio could sound this good. 
biggrin.gif

Lol. I know what you mean. I'm a big fan of portable audio! Check out CYMBACAVUM if you are into high end portable audio! Although there isn't direct mentioning of EX1000, I do write about MDR7550 and we have some coverage on Sony's newer hybrids.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #553 of 651
  Lol. I know what you mean. I'm a big fan of portable audio! Check out CYMBACAVUM if you are into high end portable audio! Although there isn't direct mentioning of EX1000, I do write about MDR7550 and we have some coverage on Sony's newer hybrids.

Let me tell you this. Right now all these stock Apple's (iphone, classic, ipod video, mini) all sound like 2D (with vertical dims only) lacking horizontal depth and dynamics from the headphone out, when compared to my capless setup.

I was forced to use my iphone 4s this afternoon in my office as my 2000mAh battery finally drained after playing 55 hrs following a full charge. Yeah it doesn't sound bad in 2D. LOL.

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #554 of 651
Who here switches eartips based on what you want to listen to?

For me, when I want to listen to a music album I use Monster Supertip gels to make the mid-bass less forward; for vocal such as watching TV dramas and anime I use stock hybrid tips. 
When it comes to consonant sounds I find both the sony hybrid tip and monster gel tip sound the same.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #555 of 651
I've gotta be honest, after 10 hours on my 7550's I'm very disappointed with the comfort. After only 10 minutes of listening my ears start to ache. On the other hand, I can wear my Klipsch S4's for 8 straight hours with zero discomfort. Any suggestions, guys? 3rd party tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back