Q701/Ultrasone 750...UA25EX
Oct 18, 2011 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

deafandblind

New Head-Fier
Hello to you all,

after having read so many threads and info (almost everything I found in here and other places, geraslutz in paticular) I still have a few questions which I hope you will be able to answer, so here goes:

I was (still am a bit actually) looking for a new pair of cans to mix/monitor rock/metal music (and some techno as well)
as I move, I use a portable set-up made up of a laptop + a cheap but reliable Edirol UA25EX audio interface + an old pair of AKG K240M (600 ohms)

I have used these headphones for the past 15 years and i'm quite used to them and their flaws..but they are about to fall apart.... so I'd like to replace them...I'm an amateur and have decided to limit my budget at 300 euros (should be enough for a decent pair of cans)

if I get a K702 or Q701 will my UA25 be a suitable match (I read plenty of stuff about how difficult they are to drive)?
So far I'm pretty sold on the ultrasone 750 (or perhaps the 650)..and read also how they are loved/hated by some members here...lol

some of the threads I read were kind of old...so I thought some may (or may not ) have changed their mind since then...

thanks for your time, input and help!

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 20
They are vastly different types of listening experiences. Closed vs. Open - flat curve response vs. Bass-heavy and recessed mid. 

Personally, I don't think either one will suit your purpose. The 701/702 are great for monitors and mixing, but not on the go (and they don't travel well - size wise). They are too open - sound wise. 

Audio Technica M50's might be a good place to look for your stated needs. Or though their response curve is more dramatic, the Beyerdynamic DT770. Flatter response - Shure SRH840.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 20
thanks for your answer, I agree with you, and though I'm might not have an extensive knowledge about headphone (I actually tried very few model during the past 15 years as I said) I guess the 702 are too gear specific to fit my purpose...  I just wondered whether they would find my audio interface to their taste, as I know the AKG sound signature that would have kept me off uncharted territories...but I understand that very few people use a similar set-up and I reckon it wouldnt be enough quality wise to get the best out of them anyway.....

I already checked countless brands, read numerous threads/opinions/tests/reviews etc...and sound wise the Pro750 seems to be pretty much what I'm looking for ... they are closed, translate well to a monitoring system and seem pretty sturdy....so I'll stick to these for better or worse  =)

at some point I also thought about getting two pairs ..grado SR60i for playing the guitar and ultrasone 650 for monitoring but gave up on the idea...carrying a single all-purpose pair of cans is much simpler in the end

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 20
I love my Ultrasone Pro 750, best option for closed ones imho.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 20
yep that's what I understood, as I move a lot and cannot always have studio monitors around...the fact that the 750 translates pretty well to real monitors (from what I read) is a big advantage to me. thanks.

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafandblind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sound wise the Pro750 seems to be pretty much what I'm looking for ... they are closed, translate well to a monitoring system and seem pretty sturdy....so I'll stick to these for better or worse  =(

Quote:
yep that's what I understood, as I move a lot and cannot always have studio monitors around...the fact that the 750 translates pretty well to real monitors (from what I read) is a big advantage to me. thanks.

I think you should try before buy...the PL/Pro-750 are like a quality boombox hps with a lot of treble energy and a boost on the bass, smiley face EQ curve : ) the 650's sounds more balanced,  (if this is important for you) but still very aggressive and the sound dynamic is not as with the K702. Maybe the PL/Pro-650 can be use as playback monitor system...(great for electronic music as a listener). Check this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/401879/an-ultrasone-comparison

If you make music on the road (Ableton live and few beats) I'll recommend you the GMP 8.35 D Monotor, or the M-50 both are around @ 35 ohm here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

The K-702 in my experience are the best as music monitor hps (mix/mastering), you easy can compare them to the Adam,Yamaha and Focal, monitors in well build acoustic studio room. The Edirol looks like will drive the K-702 to same extend, but of course hps amp will do this better. here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/393139/k702-in-the-studio 

Some of the external sound cards have a better hps amp unite than the others ...

1. Grace Design m902/3, Benchmark DAC1, Apogee mini DAC, Duet/2.
2. NI control 1, Echo, PreSonus.
3. RME, M-Audio, and many others...(the RME is a great sound card, but with a very weak hps amp section).

Take this Akai for example...looks awesome with full functions, but no one will insure me that this bad boy Akai will have a better sound quality + hps amp compare to my 10 years old Apogee mini DAC.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 20
thanks a lot for your input, lots of useful info

as for trying...I'd love to, however where I live (China) that is utterly impossible...at best you can find the model you're looking for online and order it from a shop/a website...but NOT A SINGLE shop will have them in stock for you to try (because very few people will buy these types of cans...ie they cost about a month salary for most chineses..and there are things more important in their lives!)

same goes for the German maestro...I doubt anyone has ever heard of the brand where I live..couldnt even find it on any website..outlook no so good! lol

I actually considered the AKG702 in the first place because I "know" (more or less, as I didnt use that many models from the brand) the AKG sound signature...the problem of the 702 is that they are open cans...my old 240 are semi open and that's sometimes turned out to be annoying...on top of that driving the 702 seems also a bit of a pain... so I decided to give up on them

I'm not comtemplating buying this new pair of cans from a listener perspective...quite the opposite...I need them to be clinical and uncompromised in their restitution....the opposite of the "fun" /slightly flattering side most members are looking for here. The closer to the restitution of a good monitoring system, the better indeed (rock /metal music chiefly). BTW I use Sonar X1/Studio one 2/Reason if that matters.

At some point I thought about getting 2 pairs (grado sr60i+ultrasone 650) or (ATH M50s+DT880 600ohms)...but again portability/size being a factor...one pair is better than two...

also, The 650 might be a bit more balanced (I'll take your word for it) but it has a higher impedance than the 750. I'm quite used to mix with headphones and I'm sure that after spending a few hours on the 750 (or another proper model), I'll be able to compensate for their slight faults...what really sold me on them is that apparently the spatialization/soundstage is very well recreated, they have a very tight bass that also goes pretty low and very precise and tamed highs after a proper burn-in (why do you say aggressive?). If that is the case (and it seems so in most comments/threads) then I need not look any further.

EDIT: finally went with the Ultrasone 750 + ART headamp 4...they might be a bit coloured but no worries, I'll learn them inside out and that wont be a problem, spatialisation seems to be very good and that an important factor. More when I get them.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 20
so I got the ultrasone 750...I burned em in for 500 hours before using em and they sounds frigging awesome! Positioning does indeed make a difference. What I found is that you just need to wear them straight on and to push them forward until the back of your ears get into the inner groove of the earpads. I listened to any kind of music you can think of (underground tekno, Death metal, BM, trance, samba, bossa nova, jazz, flamenco, classical, rock, hard rock, thrash metal, jungle, grindcore, pop, instrumental...you name it...) the 750 shone all the way through!
extremely detailed, almost clinical with a tight, deep bass, great mids and extremely precise but absolutely not aggressive trebles....these cans are a little jem!
I cant understand all the criticism I read here...besides I also had a lot of (curious or intrigued) friends (almost all musicians/sound engineers) trying them and they all found them really great ...I reckon I might even have created a small fan base! lol

Ultrasone rules!

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 20
Happy you like them as much as I do :wink:

Dec 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #11 of 20
Try the pro900 sometime. They satisfy all my bass needs. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 20

thanks but the 750 has all the bass I need
dt880smile.png

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #13 of 20
Also love my Ultrasone 750pro

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 20
do you agree that the S-logic thingy, though audible, is sort of faint when listening to most kind of modern music (rock, tekno, metal, pop, etc) as you need to be rather used to it to really hear it or hear it's there? .....that being said it is amazing with soundscapes and also with live recording to a certain extent, ...and ofc very useful when mixing

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 20
Yes, I would agree to that.

S-Logic is not overly present, rather faint. However the soundscape is vastly enhanced compared to other closed headphones. Compared to my Sennheiser HD598 it is still "small". But I just love the sound they produce.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back