Q701 impressions thread
Feb 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #5,491 of 9,603

Also, my Amazon cable glows blue :wink:  

I'm jealous, I've only getting one of these 
bigsmile_face.gif

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360845725161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #5,492 of 9,603
I'd like to propose a different tape bass mod than the popular one where you remove the sticker over the port.  I took some gaffer's (duct) tape and ran a winding around the ear cups.  It's not nearly as obvious as removing the stickers on the bass ports was, but it pulls up the bass and sub-bass (and impact) without ruining the awesome sound stage and making low vocals sound goofy, like the port mod.  I tried the port mod a couple times and opted against it, this mod doesn't seem to have any down sides and it even looks good.  Take off the velour ear cup and wind the tape so it's as far below the lip as you see in the photo, and cut the excess tape off the back before clipping the cup back on.  Easy, might as well try it!

Try something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsobBEJxXw ----- Erase by Beats Antique to hear exactly what it does.

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #5,493 of 9,603
I'd like to propose a different tape bass mod than the popular one where you remove the sticker over the port.  I took some gaffer's (duct) tape and ran a winding around the ear cups.  It's not nearly as obvious as removing the stickers on the bass ports was, but it pulls up the bass and sub-bass (and impact) without ruining the awesome sound stage and making low vocals sound goofy, like the port mod.  I tried the port mod a couple times and opted against it, this mod doesn't seem to have any down sides and it even looks good.  Take off the velour ear cup and wind the tape so it's as far below the lip as you see in the photo, and cut the excess tape off the back before clipping the cup back on.  Easy, might as well try it!

Try something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsobBEJxXw ----- Erase by Beats Antique to hear exactly what it does.

it's great! Can you upload more photos!

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #5,494 of 9,603
Which of you have the Austrian-made model and which of you have the Chinese-made? Can anyone tell any differences?
I have the Chinese version. It has soft bumps and a tight fit on my head. I don't think that AKG has messed up with sound. And my q's had tapes on each earcup.so I think the difference is with the "BUMPS".

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #5,496 of 9,603
  I'd like to propose a different tape bass mod than the popular one where you remove the sticker over the port.  I took some gaffer's (duct) tape and ran a winding around the ear cups.  It's not nearly as obvious as removing the stickers on the bass ports was, but it pulls up the bass and sub-bass (and impact) without ruining the awesome sound stage and making low vocals sound goofy, like the port mod.

I respect your opinion and it's good to have the contrary opinion here. Some other people say actually everything gets better and I have that impression also. This guys sums up this other view well:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod/60#post_10147627

Anyway, it's good to have different opinions for people to consider before jumping into anything. I believe we all hear things differently so what's right for me isn't right for you etc. When it comes to headphones, we can add head and ear shape to the mix, making it even more difficult to reach a general conclusion! All we can do is say what we hear.
Darren

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #5,497 of 9,603
How are you liking your Bifrost?

Digging it mightily, though yesterday and this morning were troubleshooting hell.  I was getting drop outs or a completely dead left channel.  I thought, Not my newly repaired Lyr!  and promptly bugged Nick at Schiit.  Then I remembered the socket savers.  Pulled those, used tubes directly, seemed fixed.  Tubemonger, God bless 'em, offered to send a new pair.  This morning I pulled the socket savers in order to pack them up, plugged in the tubes to Lyr... boom!... same problem.  Traced it to the PYST cables I got with the Bifrost.  A bit disappointing at $20.  I think I'll return them.  Not sure what I'll get as a replacement.  At the moment I'm using a cheap RCA pair that probably came with a CD or DVD player.  Sounds a bit thinner.

But yeah, the Bifrost is awesome.  Definite step up from the trusty li'l HiFimeDIY Sabre U2.  Now that can be truly portable.

What cables are you using with your Bifrost (to Lyr?)?  Do you have the Bifrost?
LOL, I flove these small, niche companies.  While I was typing this, Schiit sent me an email saying they'd get me a new pair.  Guess that solves the problem, assuming these will last.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #5,498 of 9,603
  I'm jealous, I've only getting one of these 
bigsmile_face.gif

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360845725161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

LOL!  I think my 10-year-old niece has that one 
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #5,499 of 9,603
Well boys i have to send in my Q's for repair. I was considering asking for a headband upgrade and some memory foam pads but i think i'll wait. It seems to me the K712 is more-so what i'm looking for sound wise but i'm hesitant to get rid of my favorite pair of headphones for something that might be better.

As soon as  my income tax comes in i'll probably buy the K712 so i can compare it to the Q's w/ bass mod and see what i like.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #5,500 of 9,603

I am trying my best to NOT make another joke about using "Audiophile Tape" for this mod....:)

BTW, I'll try this out, I'd like a bit more bass, not a lot more bass!

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #5,502 of 9,603
  I want to ask that the Austrian made and China made, which is better? Where to buy the Austrian made, im living in US.
And is it good for all-rounders?
Tks

I believe it's all down to luck. If you want to make sure they are from Austria, go to a retail store and either look at them, or purchase them and make sure it is what you want.

I can't say either one is better or worse. Though I will say that "Made in China" being bad is just a bunch of schitt. After all, where are all the shiny pretty iPhones made?

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #5,503 of 9,603
I believe it's all down to luck. If you want to make sure they are from Austria, go to a retail store and either look at them, or purchase them and make sure it is what you want.

I can't say either one is better or worse. Though I will say that "Made in China" being bad is just a bunch of schitt. After all, where are all the shiny pretty iPhones made?

So iPhones are Made In Austria? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back